Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 06:31 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My 11 yr old daughter (she'll be 12 in March) loves to read and usually reads at least an hour before bed. She recently asked me if she could read the "Pretty little liars" series. After looking into what it's about I feel she's a little young for that type of book. Suggested age for that series is 14+. Even though she's disappointed she understands. I need some age appropriate book suggestions, preferably a series. She has already read the entire series of Dork Diaries and Diary of Wimpy. Thanks!

Last edited by CGab; 09-25-2017 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 08:33 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
I've been out of the classroom too long- my brain is mush. I can't remember that many. I'm going to give you a wide range lexile-wise. There are a couple that are more of a 3rd/4th grade level, and a few at more of a 6th/7th. As long as a kid was reading and understood it, I never cared too much. I still read junior fiction. I was never going to tell them to stop reading books that were too easy. (We did have discussions if they ONLY read 'easy' books, but that is an entirely different thing.) I digress. Off the top of my head:

My absolute favorite book of all time:
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor (turned into a series- Logan family)

High on my favorite books list:
Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt (this also turned into a series- Tillerman family)

I read this to every single class I taught, from kindergarten to sixth grade:
Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo (DiCamillo has other good books, too. I used The Tiger Rising in my lit circles when I taught 5th.)

Savvy, Scumble, and Switch by Indrid Law (Savvy Series- so far just the three)

Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (Shadow Children Series, this is book #1, I believe it is still going)

Maniac Magee- Jerry Spinnelli (no series by this author, but his books tend to be well liked)

Of course, anything by Roald Dahl, Judy Blume, mind going blank.... Classic series like Ramona, Boxcar Children, Little House, etc...

I did have a lot of kids who read the Hunger Games when they first came out. They were not a part of my classroom library as I feel that is really up to a parent. There is violence and I wasn't going to be the one supplying the books.
I'm going to add this down here. A more recent junior fiction book that quickly shot itself into my top-5 favorite books. However, it is very deep and it can be sad. It is based on true events, but the characters and exact events are fictional. Set in WWII when Russia evacuated Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia and sent them to work camps in Siberia. It is told through the eyes of a preteen girl. It is an absolutely beautiful book, and I would have no problem reading it to a class if I still taught 5th or 6th because we would be able to discuss the events. People die and they are all treated unfairly. Whether or not I would recommend a student to read this independently would depend on the student and their maturity level. Since I do not know your daughter, I wanted to throw that out there.
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
Salt to the Sea (related characters, but not a series) is her second book. A great book, just not quite as good. (The bar is really, really high.)

Last edited by jaynarie; 09-25-2017 at 10:02 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 08:42 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
My 12 year old reads and rereads the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. Her sister loves the Study series by Maria V. Snyder, and The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:57 PM

830 posts, read 744,402 times
Nancy Drew series.
Caroline B. Cooney books.
Series of Unfortunate Events.
The Babysitters Club.
Harry Potter.
Jane Eyre.
The Secret Garden.
Esperanza Rising.
Chronicles of Narnia.
Daughters of the Moon series.
Little House on the Prairie series.
Sarah Plain and Tall.
Island of the Blue Dolphins.
The Giver.
City of Ember.
American Girl series.
Running Out of Time.
Coraline.

I found the, "Karen," books in my 5th grade classroom. It's written by the mom of a girl with cerebral palsy, but I really enjoyed it then. I believe they are from the 1950s.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:02 PM

830 posts, read 744,402 times
I also second PP on the Cynthia Voigt books. I still remember them today.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:06 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
The Anne of Green Gables series is a great one!

Old 09-26-2017, 10:16 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Hi all! My 11 yr old daughter (she'll be 12 in March) loves to read and usually reads at least an hour before bed. She recently asked me if she could read the "Pretty little liars" series. After looking into what it's about I feel she's a little young for that type of book. Suggested age for that series is 14+. Even though she's disappointed she understands. I need some age appropriate book suggestions, preferably a series. She has already read the entire series of Dork Diaries and Diary of Wimpy. Thanks!
The hunger games books, much better than the movies.
Dark Materials (start with the Golden compass)
Holes (not a series)
The Graveyard Book, actually Neil Gaiman has a few books for preteens to YA but make sure you ONLY get those, most of his books are decidedly adult.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:39 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
My 11 year old girl enjoys the fantasy genre. She read the Savvy, Scumble, and Switch series by Indrid Law earlier this year and enjoyed those. After that, she read the Septimus Heap series (7 books) by Angie Sage.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:17 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
This is an older thread that was recently revived...it might be helpful.

//www.city-data.com/forum/books...een-girls.html

Old 09-26-2017, 09:24 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My 12 year old reads and rereads the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. Her sister loves the Study series by Maria V. Snyder, and The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer.
I was going to recommend the Artemis Fowl series too - my son has been enjoying the series very much and he's not a very enthusiastic reader.

going back to my own childhood, I'd recommend the Anne of Green Gables series, and others by the same author L.M. Montgomery, and Little Women and the rest of Louisa May Alcott's books. It can take a little work to get used to the old fashioned language - and even more importantly, the old fashioned gender roles! - but so worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting