Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 04:35 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Wow, you really consider taking a toy away as abusive? (here it is) lol Because that is funny!!!! and sad at the same time.
Taking away a toy =/= throwing it way/destroying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Wow. underperforming kid loses his X-box for bad grades. Geez.

And I thought I had it hard, when less than a minute after I handed my report-card to my folks, I was told to go to my dads closet...for his belt...

Kids today just don't even WANT to know how 'easy' they have it...

I would weep for the future of this human 'race'...but I just can't anymore...and it's not because I'm a little older & wiser for the miles travelled...

...it's because I truly feel the 'rumbling on the tracks'...there's definately a storm coming...more of a 'reckoning' actually...

...and now I begin to understand what was meant in 'Revelations'.

So very few of you will have what it takes to face judgement, standing firm...with quiet resolve...

...with HONOR.

Jesus wept...but I can't.
Oh brother.

Listen, I've NEVER beaten my kids with my hand, a belt, a switch, a spoon...nothing. I've NEVER filmed them breaking their own toys as punishment. I've NEVER made them throw away a beloved item.

And they are both really good kids who treat others with kindess and empathy. No, they aren't perfect. But they are good people. And that's what we are trying to raise...good people. Not obedient little robots scared of their own shadows or overcompensating for the crap their parents put them through under the name of "discipline."

Old 01-11-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Not every youngster is cut out for academic success; some of them need to be put on a more pragmatic/vocational "track" at the earliest opportunity; and I'd want to know a lot more about the classroom environment the kid has to deal with. Too many teachers, not to mention administrators, are mostly out to turn their pupils into poster children for their way of running things; (and if that doesn't work, there's Ritalin).

I had the third highest SAT score in a graduating class of 265, and was raised in part by a career educator with a D Ed; but I was faltering in Junior High, because I was stifled, bullied to some degree, and had no incentives; the problems eased up when more opportunities and approaches manifested themselves in Senior High, and I really hit my stride as an undergraduate. (but a lot of the resentment and frustration returned after graduation due to the hated structure of entry-level "Korporate Kulture" -- too reminiscent of the seventh grade!)

Finally, the use of vulgar language by the father says a lot:

Q: How come youse can't make my kid smart?

A: I'm trying hard to make myself understood to the biggest reason!
I wish there were some sort of vocational/technical education for kids starting around 4th or 5th grade. One of my children is quite academic while the other is not. I feel the one who is not academically minded would flourish in a vo-tech school. But he has another few years before he can even start because none of the schools around here have programs until 9th grade.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:38 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Although I recall the incident as taking place in 1968 rather than 1976, here's a link to a sobering parallel:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...tragedy-beauty

Old 01-11-2018, 07:14 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,199,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Ridiculous, cruel, stupid, terrible parenting.

There are many other ways to get a kid to improve his grades. That father will reap what he's sowing.
Then if that's so the punishment I got as a kid would warrant jail time for my father.

When I was a bad boy back in the 70's (I really wasn't that bad) and committed a tiny infraction many times I was met with leather and sometimes coupled with a buckle which many times resulted in black and blue for weeks that I had to lie to the teacher at gym time to say that I fell or something like that.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:11 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Then if that's so the punishment I got as a kid would warrant jail time for my father.

When I was a bad boy back in the 70's (I really wasn't that bad) and committed a tiny infraction many times I was met with leather and sometimes coupled with a buckle which many times resulted in black and blue for weeks that I had to lie to the teacher at gym time to say that I fell or something like that.
It sounds like your father deserved jail time for assaulting you. If he had done that to another adult he would have been jailed. It's never made any sense to me that an adult could do that to a child have have it be called discipline.

I'm sorry you were beaten as a child. I hope you have peace and joy in your life now.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Force the kid to sell it to a pawn shop, then use the money for study supplies.
Exactly. Teaching kids to be wasteful is pretty stupid. Guess this kid will be in debt up to his eyeballs with this way of thinking.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:38 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,308,240 times
The video is pretty mild.

My dad would have ripped the video game system out of the TV and smashed it right then and there. He wouldn't have time to make me smash it while he films it. There's too much time wasted there and you're starting to lose dramatic effect after a while.

America is so soft these days. You can't spank, you can't curse, and you can't even smash video games for discipline. The only appropriate thing to do is talk nicely to the kid while reassuring him/her that they are special and not really in trouble. Also make sure the kid gets a "conflict resolution" trophy afterwards.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:07 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post

If you go even further back it was legal and considered ok to seriously beat or even kill your child (it still is in some countries). Raping your child wasn't such a big deal either.

Things are changing to protect children...changing slowly but still changing.

I am really sorry your father beat you. No matter what, you didn't deserve that.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:08 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
The video is pretty mild.

My dad would have ripped the video game system out of the TV and smashed it right then and there. He wouldn't have time to make me smash it while he films it. There's too much time wasted there and you're starting to lose dramatic effect after a while.

America is so soft these days. You can't spank, you can't curse, and you can't even smash video games for discipline. The only appropriate thing to do is talk nicely to the kid while reassuring him/her that they are special and not really in trouble. Also make sure the kid gets a "conflict resolution" trophy afterwards.
I don't think you have an accurate view of modern day parenting/discipline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting