Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 05:46 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,647,828 times

Advertisements

Your wife sounds like a piece of work.

In most families, having babies around the same time is a cause for joy - cousins and all of that.

I think you and she should get couple's counseling.

She sounds like a really angry, bitter, no-fun, grudge-holding control freak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 05:58 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,731,192 times
My child was born a few months before her cousin. They are both girls and are great friends! Your wife should be happy. Maybe it's just her raging hormones and she'll calm down. Congrats, btw on the new addition you will soon have

Old 06-02-2018, 06:01 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,154 times
Get help for your wife before it is too late. She is poisoning your entire family.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:11 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Yeah, that is not normal. My sister-in-law and I got pregnant with our first babies at about the same time. Everyone was excited that there would be grandchildren/cousins the same age in the family, including me and her. Unfortunately she miscarried that time, so it didn't happen. (She did get pregnant again and had a baby about 7 months after my daughter was born).

Your wife sounds like a drama queen who to have things all about her. It also makes no sense that she would be jealous that the grandparents see their other grandchild more than your son, when she is the one who is limiting their visits. I don't know what to tell you, except I'm so sorry.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:12 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,799 times
No, it's not normal. I mean, there is some normalcy in pregnancy hormones causing out of proportion reactions, but it seems that she really dislikes your family in general and she's letting it affect your child and you. I have super irritating inlaws. I don't "like" them. But I don't tell my children that and I don't stand in the way of my kids' relationships with them. My feelings are my feelings and they deserve to have their own. Plus, it's not like your SIL planned to have a baby at the exact.same.time. and cousins close in age are great to grow up with. She could use a little therapy. If she doesn't like your family, so be it, but she needs to act respectfully for your sake and your children's sake.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Sounds like the grandparents have good reason to like the other sibling's family more.

She really should get counseling to make your life easier and to learn to be happy herself.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-02-2018, 06:29 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
This can't be normal can it? Has anyone seen a situation like this?

I just found out today that my brother and his wife are pregnant with their second kid...they just hit the 12 week mark and the baby will be due early December. They have another kid who is 3. My wife and I have a son that is 15 months and are also expecting a second baby around early December.

My wife hates my brother's wife and thinks my parents favor her/them much more over us....that's probably because my niece gets to see my parents all the time and with my kid, my wife puts moratoriums on when my parents can visit our son..like every 2 weeks or so. To add insult to injury, my wife also dislikes my niece because she came from my sister in law.

Needless to say my wife is not only pissed they are having a second kid at all, but also that he/she will be born around the same time as our second one. She had a cute idea to announce to my family on father's day, but now she just wants me to text them or call them...not even tell them in person ! (They live 15 minutes away). She thinks now that our second kid will be irrelevant beause my brother's second kid will be the hot topic of the year from my parents' perspective.

So I ask - this isn't normal is it? Has anyone else had any family drama where kids from the same general family are born around the week? I try to tell her "just focus on our two kids", but I have the feeling I'm going to be the target of her envy and disappointment for a long time...as if I can control when other people decide to have babies.
Your wife seems to be mentally unstable. Beware....

Old 06-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
This isn't all that unusual, although to me it's bizarre.

I had a child who was born within weeks of my sister's child, and another child who was born within weeks of my sister in law's child.

We loved being pregnant "together". And it was good to sit and commiserate when the kids wouldn't go down for naps, had ear infections, etc.

So let me ask you. Did you honestly not see this coming before the wedding? Were there NO signs that she was petty and jealous and small before you were committed? How does she behave about her birthday?

Old 06-02-2018, 07:20 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,719 times
Your wife was a mean girl as a teenager, wasn't she? And she hasn't outgrown it. Show her this thread. Put on a helmet first, though.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:33 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,240,057 times
Smile You are seeing the signs....

First of all, talk to her about not normal this is. She will miss out on many happy times.

In my family, there were 4 sibs - all married within 3 years - then had 12 children between us over a 6 1/2 year period.

Result: Someone was always pregnant; we all lived within 10 minutes of each other and today, all those children are adults, friends with each other and support each other!

WE LOVE THEM ALL!!

THE MORE THE MERRIER!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting