Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2019, 03:04 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Here's exactly what you said, and I quote: "
Children these days are a$$holes because parents are lazy and SCARED of their own kids."

Seems like an over generalization to me.
It's a reasonably accurate generalization. That was my experience of the daycare children's parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post

And in that regard, people and parents are going to make mistakes.
Of course. What is your deal with this topic? Are you feeling judged? I mean, your kids are grown so it is not like you could change anyway. You're fine.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:21 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Of course. What is your deal with this topic? Are you feeling judged? I mean, your kids are grown so it is not like you could change anyway. You're fine.

No, I'm not feeling judged. I do get tired though, of those folks, parents or not, who come across as authoritarian hard asses with their "My way or the highway" attitudes. It makes me wonder just how much experience they actually have, at actual parenting.

Now regarding the restaurant issues...I agree that all the examples given of the kids misbehaving...I agree. The kids misbehaved. Except possibly the kid that helped him/herself to the appetizer. I just find it...harsh when people say things like "parents and/or kids are little monsters, jerks, etc. etc. based on the examples given. OK...everyone was ACTING like asses...but I don't like the out and out name calling and generalizations.

I guess that's my primary motivation in this thread.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Or just among my friends. I don’t have kids but what I witness didn’t happen years ago. We had plans to meet our friends and their teenagers. Then she tells me she won’t make it on time because her daughter wanted to sleep in. When I was a teen, if I wasn’t ready, I want going.

We all decide on a restaurant but then have to change it if their kids decide to go and want to eat somewhere else.

A friends 7 year old daughter asked me to share my food with her. Instead of my friend telling her daughter no you are getting your own food, she asked if I was ok sharing it.

We ordered appetizers for the adults and as soon as it is served, my friends 9 year old daughter puts her hand in it and takes some. They don’t say anything. Also let her kid constantly interrupt.

When I was a child I knew my place. Of course I tested things but I was reprimanded. I love kids and sometime regret not having them but it seems so different now.
Therein lies the problem. People are less judgmental of kids' behavior after/if they have their own.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Therein lies the problem. People are less judgmental of kids' behavior after/if they have their own.
I've often found it weird that people think these discussions are judgy. It's a board ABOUT parenting topics. I get that different people's language is different. Like referring to kids as jerks does not bother me. Heck, *I* am a jerk sometimes. But where else are you going to talk about things? I, personally, DO think there is a trend to be overly accommodating with kids. I don't happen to agree with the authoritarian tone of some of the posts, as if authoritarian is the only remedy. But the fact that there are lots of kids around whose parents make them little princes and princesses is a thing.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:51 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,045 times
Quote:
I've often found it weird that people think these discussions are judgy. It's a board ABOUT parenting topics. I get that different people's language is different. Like referring to kids as jerks does not bother me. Heck, *I* am a jerk sometimes. But where else are you going to talk about things? I, personally, DO think there is a trend to be overly accommodating with kids. I don't happen to agree with the authoritarian tone of some of the posts, as if authoritarian is the only remedy. But the fact that there are lots of kids around whose parents make them little princes and princesses is a thing.

You got no idea how right you are. My cousin went with my niece who is 21 to another state as my niece is about to start med school. Not only did mom clean her rented room while my niece wet out on some tour but my cousin was also looking at hiring someone to come and clean her room/bedroom for her on weekly bases. All other roommate told my cousin they do not want to pay for a maid as they will be doing all of the cleaning themselves. This is the result of making little kids in to princes and princess at early age.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:09 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
I don’t have kids and am not particularly judgmental about kids’ behavior. However, I was a teacher in a prior career. Some of these issues would not bother me, like asking to share a dish. At 7, I didn’t eat that much (certainly not enough for a full adult meal) and even now I tend not to eat the entirety of what is served in a restaurant. It isn’t like that child was just taking the food, but she was asking about whether she could share a dish she wanted to try. The OP was free to refuse and say that she thought she’d be eating the whole thing. As for the appetizer, normally digging in isn’t acceptable, but if it is chicken wings or some handheld appetizer like chips and salsa, then I would imagine most people are going to dig in...

Old 07-23-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I don’t have kids and am not particularly judgmental about kids’ behavior. However, I was a teacher in a prior career. Some of these issues would not bother me, like asking to share a dish. At 7, I didn’t eat that much (certainly not enough for a full adult meal) and even now I tend not to eat the entirety of what is served in a restaurant. It isn’t like that child was just taking the food, but she was asking about whether she could share a dish she wanted to try. The OP was free to refuse and say that she thought she’d be eating the whole thing. As for the appetizer, normally digging in isn’t acceptable, but if it is chicken wings or some handheld appetizer like chips and salsa, then I would imagine most people are going to dig in...
I wasn't referring to people who work with kids. We (DH and I) seem to have a lot of friends and relatives who don't have kids who just. don't. get. it. People talking about kids who "know their place". You do know that's a racist slur, right? Referring to kids as "pissy".

People tend to be much more forgiving of some of these "offenses" once they have kids of their own.

Ordering appetizers just for the adults seems pretty inappropriate, unless another plate was ordered for the kids.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I wasn't referring to people who work with kids. We (DH and I) seem to have a lot of friends and relatives who don't have kids who just. don't. get. it. People talking about kids who "know their place". You do know that's a racist slur, right? Referring to kids as "pissy".
I am as liberal as they come. But what the hell is RACIST about it? Knowing their place is a highly objectionable term. But RACIST?

Old 07-23-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I am as liberal as they come. But what the hell is RACIST about it? Knowing their place is a highly objectionable term. But RACIST?
Did someone pee in your cornflakes today? You had a snide comment about collecting rocks which I disagreed with, now you're replied very snidely to me twice. See this:
https://www.capitalgazette.com/opini...204-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting