Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

This is not a decorating question.

I have been in many homes where the walls are full of framed photos, photos all around the house etc.

We have none. Well actually I have a few baby pictures in a display cabinet in my bedroom and at Christmas time I set out a few old photos of the kids with Santa and we have a few school pictures made into ornaments for the tree. but other than that we have no fancy watercolors, huge family portraits, graduation pictures, etc.

I'm not sure why except that is just how I grew up. My mother thought it was tacky to have as bunch of photos around. When she was in her later years I arranged for all our living relatives to be at the house for a very rare family meal. When I asked her if she would like me to hire a professional photographer come to take a great photo, her response was "Why--it's just something else to put in the drawer." I did it anyway and sure enough she put it in the drawer.

So I was wondering how many photos do you display in your home? And why or why not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 10:07 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I have a couple of those shallow crown molding looking shelves in the upstairs hallway. Each kid has a shelf w/ 3 photos on it from baby to present. I rotate them every so often. Down stairs I have the same shelves, but smaller. I rotate photos there too. At Christmas I get out Christmas photos from years past. Photos of extended family are in the office.

I know some people just keep adding, never taking away. I find that I don't actually "see" the pictures when there are so many. When I change them around, I notice them and enjoy them more.

I can see why your mom might think having photos everywhere is tacky, but I don't see why having one nice family photo would be tacky.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:15 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Under normal circumstances, we have photos of extended family and close family friends, as well as photos of the little ones, in our living room (I haven't managed to get them up in the new house yet! ). We started to do this when we moved away from our home state nine years ago and have continued in all of our residences since. We like to have the visual reminder of our loved ones who are no longer with us or no longer nearby. It reminds us of "home" and feels cozy to us. I can definitely understand the "too many pictures" overkill, though. We tend to rotate rather than add on to the collection.

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Sure we do. I have a table in the LR that has a variety of framed family photos on it (not huge, I'd say 5X7 and smaller. Some new, some old. I enjoy seeing the pics of the kids or other relatives or events over the years. I don't have huge, framed portaits hanging on the wall but why have pictures if all you're going to do is shove them in a drawer? They make me happy and isn't that what your home should do?

521 posts, read 859,776 times
We have an extended family wall (half a wall?) in our living room and a small hallway wall for pictures of us hiking, climbing, camping with the dogs, etc. . .

We never add more; I'm looking at our living room wall now and there's eight frames of pictures with room for dozens more. We like to display recent pictures of family. For us, living 2000 miles away, it's nice to be able to have a few pictures of family around. Plus, it's always fun telling family stories when friends come over and ask about the pictures.

My Grandmother's entire upstairs common areas are plastered with pictures. I mean you can't even see wall. That kind of picture displaying is quite tacky.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
My wife and I have no children.

We display many many photo's of family, friends, pets, vacation spot's, etc.
We both grew up in homes that had many family photo's everywhere in the house.

I would consider it odd not to have photo's of people and places one deems special in one's life.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My mother thought it was tacky to have as bunch of photos around.
I myself grew up with the idea that posting lots of family pictures all over the walls and all over the house is tacky - so I don't do it because I have this cultural bias.
I am aware there is nothing inherently wrong with doing that and that such perceptions (of what's "tasteful" and what's "tacky") are nothing but little power wars in the sociology of taste.

But at the end of the day, we are all products of our environment. Mine and yours taught us this is tacky. I was taught that ideally, you would want sophisticated works of art on your walls instead of lots of family pictures; and if you can't affords those, of well - that's life...but you're still better off - I was advised - having some tasteful reproductions of great art on the walls than family pictures invading the entire house. Family pictures should be kept to a minimum, in a few very nice frames, discreetly placed in key corners.

It is absurd, of course, not to see that some people simply enjoy seeing their family pictures all over their walls and this is fine.

I guess there are worse "crimes" people commit out there.
I will live with this one...

Last edited by syracusa; 02-23-2012 at 10:35 AM..

Old 02-23-2012, 10:29 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,851 times
I have my daughters pictures taken each month and I switch out the new picture each month. Im not sure what Im going to do after she turns one. Maybe hang up 3 at a time and switch them out. I might hang them all up Im not sure yet.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:36 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This is not a decorating question.

I have been in many homes where the walls are full of framed photos, photos all around the house etc.

We have none. Well actually I have a few baby pictures in a display cabinet in my bedroom and at Christmas time I set out a few old photos of the kids with Santa and we have a few school pictures made into ornaments for the tree. but other than that we have no fancy watercolors, huge family portraits, graduation pictures, etc.

I'm not sure why except that is just how I grew up. My mother thought it was tacky to have as bunch of photos around. When she was in her later years I arranged for all our living relatives to be at the house for a very rare family meal. When I asked her if she would like me to hire a professional photographer come to take a great photo, her response was "Why--it's just something else to put in the drawer." I did it anyway and sure enough she put it in the drawer.

So I was wondering how many photos do you display in your home? And why or why not.
I am not big on photos at all. If it were up to me, I would not have *any*. But it is the "family tradition" on my husband's side to have them, so we compromise and put his aunt, neices and nephew photos on the piano. We have a picture of his parents and one of my parents in the hallway, but as soon as I can figure out how to do it, they're gone.

Photos are depressing to me. I hate them. I don't like to think of the past. As much as I love and miss my mom, who died last year, I don't want to look at pictures of her.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-23-2012, 10:38 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I would consider it odd not to have photo's of people and places one deems special in one's life.
To have NONE - possibly (though some people may like keeping those memories in an album instead of having them on display at all times).

To have just a few very representative frames on a table/dresser/buffet - this is not odd.
Some of us are taught that this is in "good taste" (a clearly biased view, of course).
But odd to have just very few? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting