Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

Kudzu, my neighbor has those formal portraits of her three children, and yes, they are wearing hand smocked clothing. Truly gorgeous paintings, in large, ornate frames.

I have a few framed photos, on display mainly because we have several built in bookcases that needed filling. I prefer current pictures. We have boxes of studio pictures of the kids as babies and young ones, somewhere. Probably stored with the school pictures we bought for years. I don't even have our wedding portrait out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm wondering if this is a regional thing. My mother was born and bred in the south and as I remember her parents didn't have photos either. Now it is not at all uncommon for a family to have a very expensive portrait of a young girl in a hand smocked dressed above the uncomfortable settee in the seldom used "formal living room".

While she did not like photos I do remember she insisted on displaying several beautiful silver services in the dining room and I was the one who had to polish the stuff. Funny where people place their priorities.

i do appreciate your responses. I find it interesting the different attitudes about public display of photos. To each their own.
Well, if it were "regional" then you'd find MORE pictures in the south than anywhere else.

Even the poorest of the families in the south have always prized family photographs and paid to have them done however they could going back for generations.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and I wouldn't judge someone either way.

That being said, I do have a point of view on it that I've had to defend to my MIL when she gave us one of those digital picture frames with a gazillion pics of MissFR on it. (I realize that's not the same as some permanent hung family pics, but it's not too off topic I hope.)

I find that if I see a picture too often, my memory of the event starts becoming more of the picture of the event than the actual event. If I look at the same picture over and over, it's kind of like saying "stick" over and over, eventually you can't remember what on earth a stick is or what it means.

So for a while I used the picture frame to be polite, but I've turned it off because if you ask me to remember MissFR's second birthday I started to see in my head the pictures of her second birthday, and was losing the memory of the actual birthday. Same thing happens if I let the screen saver on the computer mine my photo album. I become totally numb to the pictures.

Plus, I like the surprise of remembering something you've totally forgotten when you go through photos you don't look at very often.

I hope that made sense. Not sure if it's just me or if someone else can relate.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:41 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
I display photos in my living room that are good memories/conversation pieces.

One of my husband with his two buddies from 20 yrs ago is my favorite. It's one of those old-fashioned sepia-looking photos where they are all dressed in western wear. Classic.

Another is my son when he was 7 yrs old with a lion cub on his lap at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Regular old "portraits" with the frozen posed smile never did much for me personally.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Waow, fascinating view - and such a springboard for deep philosophical discussions!

If I didn't know any better I would ask you "what do you feel it's wrong about the past?". But we would get off topic.
nah, I just don't like to think about the past. no particular reason.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-23-2012, 01:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Kudzu, my neighbor has those formal portraits of her three children, and yes, they are wearing hand smocked clothing. Truly gorgeous paintings, in large, ornate frames.

I have a few framed photos, on display mainly because we have several built in bookcases that needed filling. I prefer current pictures. We have boxes of studio pictures of the kids as babies and young ones, somewhere. Probably stored with the school pictures we bought for years. I don't even have our wedding portrait out.
That's in our bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and I wouldn't judge someone either way.

That being said, I do have a point of view on it that I've had to defend to my MIL when she gave us one of those digital picture frames with a gazillion pics of MissFR on it. (I realize that's not the same as some permanent hung family pics, but it's not too off topic I hope.)

I find that if I see a picture too often, my memory of the event starts becoming more of the picture of the event than the actual event. If I look at the same picture over and over, it's kind of like saying "stick" over and over, eventually you can't remember what on earth a stick is or what it means.

So for a while I used the picture frame to be polite, but I've turned it off because if you ask me to remember MissFR's second birthday I started to see in my head the pictures of her second birthday, and was losing the memory of the actual birthday. Same thing happens if I let the screen saver on the computer mine my photo album. I become totally numb to the pictures.

Plus, I like the surprise of remembering something you've totally forgotten when you go through photos you don't look at very often.

I hope that made sense. Not sure if it's just me or if someone else can relate.
I can kind of. A few years ago we went on a week-long vacation with my in-laws. My MIL printed out all of her photos and made an album for us and one for my SIL. It was thoughtful, but it is the trip through her eyes, not mine. Not to mention it takes up 5x as much space as a digital album would have, but that's not how she rolls.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:17 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I display photos in my living room that are good memories/conversation pieces.

One of my husband with his two buddies from 20 yrs ago is my favorite. It's one of those old-fashioned sepia-looking photos where they are all dressed in western wear. Classic.

Another is my son when he was 7 yrs old with a lion cub on his lap at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Regular old "portraits" with the frozen posed smile never did much for me personally.
I prefer this kind of photo as well. I have a candid photo of our eldest at three, wearing a bathing suit on my grandparents' back porch. She is holding a cat (the cat is not entertained) and has short, fat little legs that make me smile every time. She is tall and womanly now, and I like to see her as that little blondie with her funny face.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:08 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
I am not a fan of ALOT of pictures all over the walls. We have one wall that I have framed photos on and a few on our computer armoir in the office, but that is pretty much it.
I would love to have a really nice professional picture done and have that up someday.

I went to pick up my oldest at a friends' house one day and noticed that they had shadow boxes in their family room with infants clothing in them. There were 3 and they have 3 children, so I am assuming they had some type of significance, but in my op, it was a bit tacky looking....

Old 02-23-2012, 04:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Except for some old snapshots stuck up with magnets on the fridge, the only place we have any photos is on the stairway. I love the ones there. They are a combination of art shots, travel photos, and family pics and take up most of the wall. My father went to RISD so I have one of his pen and ink sketches framed and matted over the couch, and one of his prints (I have no idea where the originals are) in the den. My sisters congressional art winner (sorry had to brag a bit) I just got back from our congressman and its also in the den. Aside from that I try to support local artists so I have some small stuff in the hallways and bedrooms.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:05 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I prefer this kind of photo as well. I have a candid photo of our eldest at three, wearing a bathing suit on my grandparents' back porch. She is holding a cat (the cat is not entertained) and has short, fat little legs that make me smile every time. She is tall and womanly now, and I like to see her as that little blondie with her funny face.
That reminds me, I have another one of my redhead when he was about 2 yrs old at the beach. You have to picture: auburn hair sticking up in all directions full of sand, WHITE skin glowing in the sun, playing with the sand squinting up at the camera.

Priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting