Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2019, 12:09 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times

Advertisements

I admit I am anxious about my kids watching tv because of how awful people say tv is for kids. Why do I feel this way? Is tv really that terrible?

We recently ordered Disney plus and I think I’m more excited than the kids are. I love those classic Disney movies. How could cuddling on the couch with your sweeties watching these movies be bad?

I’m just so tired of hearing how awful screens are when in reality they are everywhere. I enjoy watching tv, I do it in the evening after kids are in bed. Watching tv is a way to relax but it seems parents get shamed for allowing kids to watch tv. Or you’re just not as good of a parent as someone who doesn’t let their kids have screen time.

Are there studies that show That people who watch less tv went on to be more successful? I see plenty of articles that talk about how it can lead to obesity, adhd etc. I think it’s hard to say oh hey your kid has this issue be used they watch too much tv. When it’s freezing cold outside sometimes the tv is just comforting. Is that so bad as long as you’re watching appropriate shows?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want couch potatoes. My kids love books which makes me happy, they only watch a little in the afternoon and maybe on weekends in the morning. Otherwise there is lots of activities they’re involved in.

I also think it seems worse to allow kids to be on a cell phone watching things as opposed to watching on a tv screen in the living room. Something about the way they just focus on that little screen and pay no attention to anything else.

At any rate why does tv have such a bad rep?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 12:19 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
How old are they?

They have shown that it's not great for babies' brains, it contributes to shorter attention spans, anxiety, blah blah blah.

FWIW, I was strict on tv when the kids were younger and relaxed when they got older. Not sure that was the right move because they CANNOT tune it out. They are friggin' GLUED to the screen, even the commercials. My 13yo got a phone and her behavior is absolutely tied to how much screentime she has.

Than again, my nephews had ipads in their strollers, and I hate to say it, they are not great kids. They are weird and mean. The weirdness is inherited; but the nastiness, entitled attitude, bossiness, etc. is... I dunno. Maybe screentime maybe not.

As with all things in parenting, no matter what you do, it's wrong.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:55 PM

They are 3 and 5. My 5 year old is sometimes given the phone on long car rides and he often chooses to watch Steve Irwin type shows which seems ok because he’s learning about animals. My 3 yr old is less interested in tv than my 5 yr old.

I don’t get the parents who give the phone or iPad in the stroller unless the kid was screaming which could be likely. I never had to worry about that. My kids were happy in the stroller looking at the world. When they wanted to get out a tv wouldn’t keep them occupied.

It’s hard to understand how tv could cause anxiety unless they’re watching scary shows. I think many things in life contribute to anxiety.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:08 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post

Is that so bad as long as you’re watching appropriate shows?
Yes, it's actually harmful. There are studies that correlate high screen time with lower test scores, etc.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/groundb...ds-60-minutes/

Some studies have said that it changes their brains.

Even educational programming is not a substitute for one-on-one interaction with their parents. That is the biggest problem with screen time, is that kids are passive while watching. They are not developing language skills or even motor skills when sitting and watching TV.

Yes, it's easy and comforting to sit and watch TV, but it's not necessarily the best default activity for kids that young.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:00 AM

That is disturbing. I personally put the tv on when my kids are acting wild and in need to get something done. It isn’t for long and sometimes crayons and play dough don’t do the trick.

It seems parents like to judge each other on this. Like seeing kids on phones at restaurants or any public place has become like the equivalent to giving kids sugar or a weapon.

Screens have become such a big part of adult life. So many courses and ways to educate someone are on a screen. We are encouraged to take online courses to learn. How could screens be so helpful for adults and so bad for kids? All about the developing brain I guess.

Computers are also used in some pre schools. How does that work with these studies that screens are bad.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:54 AM

41 posts, read 21,128 times
Everyone needs water except for the time when one is drowning in it.
"Something" is not inherently bad, it can become bad if you put it to bad use. The TV can be a very powerful tool if used correctly. There are literally thousands of useful programs, as well as movies, that should be presented to growing children. From short installations such as "How it's Made" to Discovery channel feature documentaries, there are plenty of material for the young mind to feast on that will be of great benefit.

One of the users on the thread here said - "Some studies have said that it changes their brains."

The last thing you really want is for the brain to NOT change. Change is what builds a healthy child, not stagnation.

Last edited by the_engineer; 12-05-2019 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-05-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_engineer View Post

One of the users on the thread here said - "Some studies have said that it changes their brains."

The last thing you really want is for the brain to NOT change. Change is what builds a healthy child, not stagnation.
Of course you don't want a stagnating brain.

I was the one who said that. The way screen time "changes the brain" is that it interferes with the natural, healthy development of a child's brain. Not all change is beneficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
It seems parents like to judge each other on this. Like seeing kids on phones at restaurants or any public place has become like the equivalent to giving kids sugar or a weapon.
The thing is … people who use screens as a distraction to keep from employing actual parenting techniques are not doing a good job.

Yeah, everyone has that moment here and there when they just need the kids to be occupied and so they turn on that one show that is guaranteed to keep them mesmerized.

But it shouldn't take the place of actual parenting, of teaching our kids how to stop being wild on their own and occupy themselves.

It's a balance, and it's exhausting.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Of course you don't want a stagnating brain.

I was the one who said that. The way screen time "changes the brain" is that it interferes with the natural, healthy development of a child's brain. Not all change is beneficial.

It's a balance, and it's exhausting.
How can an effective provision of important information interfere with healthy development of a child's brain?
At this point it is important to be specific on what "natural, healthy development" means exactly.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_engineer View Post
How can an effective provision of important information interfere with healthy development of a child's brain?
At this point it is important to be specific on what "natural, healthy development" means exactly.
Brain scans showed that kids with lots of screen time had a premature thinning of the cortex. This outermost layer of the brain processes different types of information from the senses.

It's something that happens naturally as children age, but the process is sped up in children who log more screen time, which affects their ability to process sensory info. They aren't necessary learning from all that information.

Here's the study:

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/research/re...cd-study.shtml

Never mind the evidence that digital media is designed to be addictive, and the Pandora's box that goes along with that.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Brain scans showed that kids with lots of screen time had a premature thinning of the cortex. This outermost layer of the brain processes different types of information from the senses.

It's something that happens naturally as children age, but the process is sped up in children who log more screen time, which affects their ability to process sensory info. They aren't necessary learning from all that information.

Here's the study:

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/research/re...cd-study.shtml

Never mind the evidence that digital media is designed to be addictive, and the Pandora's box that goes along with that.
As I said in my first post, even water can be deadly if you are drowning in it. My point was that the TV can and should be made into a powerful tool that will only be the friend and never the enemy.

TV should only be used in healthy measures.

All of the media we have access to can be put to good use, there is no such thing as useless information. The media is not to blame, the people who abuse it are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting