Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 09:35 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times

Advertisements

It is a creepy tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 09:51 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
What a sad and pathetic statement this makes about societal paranoia these days.

Everyone is driven to find things bad. Everything can be deconstructed to fit your butt-hurt agenda.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:52 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
It is a creepy tradition.
"Creepy" is overkill, but still, how did it start? I mean, even if you ignore today's child molester hysteria, it's still strange for a child to sit on a lap of someone who's not a family member. Even if that person is Santa Claus. Are there practical reasons for it? Like, with the height difference between a full-grown man and a little child, it's easier for them to talk face-to-face if the child sits on his lap. But why can't Santa just sit on a child-sized chair, which would eliminate the height difference? Then they can just shake hands, do a light hug, or simply talk. Lap sitting seems like something better left to family members.

Like I said earlier, the "Santa Claus" in my elementary school shook the kids' hands. But it was school. And even in early 1990's, the man playing Santa didn't want to do anything that borders on inappropriate contact with students.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:20 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
"Creepy" is overkill, but still, how did it start? I mean, even if you ignore today's child molester hysteria, it's still strange for a child to sit on a lap of someone who's not a family member. Even if that person is Santa Claus. Are there practical reasons for it? Like, with the height difference between a full-grown man and a little child, it's easier for them to talk face-to-face if the child sits on his lap. But why can't Santa just sit on a child-sized chair, which would eliminate the height difference? Then they can just shake hands, do a light hug, or simply talk. Lap sitting seems like something better left to family members.

Like I said earlier, the "Santa Claus" in my elementary school shook the kids' hands. But it was school. And even in early 1990's, the man playing Santa didn't want to do anything that borders on inappropriate contact with students.
It actually began in 1890.

https://www.romper.com/p/why-do-we-l...-to-1890-24668

Quote:
The tradition doesn't have exact origins. According to History.com, in 1841, thousands of children headed to a Philadelphia store to see a life-size model of Santa Claus, leading stores to believe that if they could offer shoppers a "peek" at a real-life Santa Claus, they would get even more shopping traffic. The first person to dress as Santa, according to The Enterprise, was a man named James Edgar, who donned the infamous Santa Claus suit in 1890 in his own store to make the children shopping happy. He is considered the very first department store Santa Claus.
Quote:
According to Parenting, some countries have considered complete bans on sitting on Santa's lap and Baby Center has noted that some believe it is a violation of children's rights.

So why is it even a thing?

Because Santa is a beloved character for a lot of children. The difference between letting your child sit on Santa's lap and forcing them to is a big one — your child gets to decide. If your child is terrified of Santa, yet you still put them in their lap for a picture, I can see where this is a violation of your little one and that it could perpetuate rape culture. But if your child is stoked to see Santa, is super excited to tell him all about the Hatchimal they just know they're going to get (hold steady, parents), and wants to climb into their lap, then what's the harm?

Old 12-27-2019, 01:44 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
My kids refuse to sit on Santa's lap so I don't force it but I wouldn't forbid it either. And Santa doesn't come sneaking into the house at night where we live, he comes to the door and introduces himself like a normal guest

Old 12-27-2019, 05:13 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
so boundaries as far as sitting on santas lap?????

I hope the same parents that thinks this is offensive …..also believes a jr high dance or high school dance where their is music and body grinding going on ...when they are 13-16 yr olds are just as offensive????????????????????????????

I highly doubt this ...and its very hypocritical.....

and if theirs a group of guys high school guys on the dance floor and a group of girls...then an 18 yr old senior grinds into a 14-15 yr old...… at a dance...

I hope they are equally offended but I think not

Old 12-27-2019, 06:09 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
And this is also the year that parents WANT the kids to sit in Santa’s lap, and cry. Apparently that’s the fashionable picture this year — terrified children crying on Santa’s lap.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:24 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
We did not teach our lids that Santa was real, so they never professed an interest in shopping mall Santas. We taught them the story that the fairy tale of Santa was based on a real person. In our mind, Santa professes the exact opposite of what Christians believe Christmas should be. Santa is all about the gifts we want. We tried to teach our kids that Christmas was about giving and fellowship with friends and family.

I do not be moan how others celebrate Christmas, but I think we made the right decision for us and our kids.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My daughter wouldn't sit on Santa's lap. She developed OCD at a very young age and the idea of Santa was always creepy and disturbing to her. I felt bad that she missed out on the Santa stuff. I can't imagine intentionally making her scared of Santa, or of people in general.
Practically every kid pic I see on Facebook is with the kid screaming or crying so dumbo parents can get a picture.

It's asinine.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:57 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
We did not teach our lids that Santa was real, so they never professed an interest in shopping mall Santas. We taught them the story that the fairy tale of Santa was based on a real person. In our mind, Santa professes the exact opposite of what Christians believe Christmas should be. Santa is all about the gifts we want. We tried to teach our kids that Christmas was about giving and fellowship with friends and family.

I do not be moan how others celebrate Christmas, but I think we made the right decision for us and our kids.
Same here.
Though my son would never have believed it anyway.
And I can't lie to my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting