Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 06:03 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
It's not her kid to offer an alternative. Fair enough?
Fair enough.. but people who just judge and criticize without any offering of what they would do are just whiners to me. It doesn't contribute to the discussion.

"I think that parent sucks.. I am much better with my child..." and leave it at that, you might as well not even participate.

No one (certainly I) isn't equating punishment with discipline. People just throw that out when they disagree. Punishment is just one part of discipline... we certainly rely mostly on positive and motivating methods to teach them. When it come to corrective measures for misbehavior, I've found timing is of the essence... waiting too long and they don't seem to make the connection between behavior and punishment which is way worse than not punishing them at all.

Last edited by usayit; 03-01-2020 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 06:11 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I hate the recording the kids punishments for the whole world to see, not against discipline, but not humiliating a child.
I agree. And this wasn't even the recorder's child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Of course I don't let them run free..

Well one thing is for sure.... they learned very quickly to stay by my side. You can use a stroller as crutch.. that's your choice. Not everyone chooses to cage them in a stroller because you don't want to deal with it.

The same goes for parents that use ipad/tablets as a crutch because they don't want to deal with it.
LOL why are you being so nasty today? A stroller as a crutch?

First you try to school me, when I remarked that it was odd this mom was holding the younger child that way, by saying in effect, "Well my twins had a habit of running in opposite directions in public." Now in an effort to counter my statement that I used a stroller, suddenly your kids stayed by your side.

Sounds like they misbehave when it's convenient for your "argument." Time to update my ignore list

Old 03-01-2020, 06:20 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
"Well my twins had a habit of running in opposite directions in public." Now in an effort to counter my statement that I used a stroller, suddenly your kids stayed by your side.

Sounds like they misbehave when it's convenient for your "argument." Time to update my ignore list
Nope.

They had a habit of running in opposite directions. After a bit of work and correction, they learned to stay at my side and haven't needed a stroller since. During the time they were learning, I did need to grab them... and in doing so often you had to hold a child in such a manner (safer than over shoulder and leaves a hand free).

Sounds like you just like to cherry pick to back your criticisms.

Ps. you supposedly put me on your ignore list a while ago.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:01 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
The article didn't say if Ms. Quinn got to her job at the circus on time.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:37 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
I don't have a problem with the punishment, but it irks me that some random woman thought it was cool to photograph it and post it on social media. If I were Harper Quinn, I'd be pissed.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:48 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
Good"]https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/27/us/hobby-lobby-parenting-trnd/index.html
[/url]Good on the mom, yes and no.

In my opinion there's no reason to make a spectacle for all to see when applying discipline. When my kids were bad, I told them once, knock it off, or else, and if they didn't get it, I told them, when we get home you're getting a lickin'.

I sometimes wonder who's more immature, the kid being disciplined or the parent doing the disciplining.[/quote]

IMO, in this case, I think the mom did just fine. She took him to the restroom, so that she wouldn't be making a public spectacle of his punishment.

And I think the punishment itself was just fine, as it allowed for the boy to burn off some energy doing the pushups, so he'd be more mellow in the store.

And again, IMO, Mom and family didn't need to be on public display or be filmed by some stranger, when she had the expectation of some privacy, seeing as they're in a restroom.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:14 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times
bathroom floor is a little much. I would like to send the mom a text to make him do burpees, a pilates pose or planks instead. Strengthen that core sonny.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:38 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't have a problem with the punishment, but it irks me that some random woman thought it was cool to photograph it and post it on social media. If I were Harper Quinn, I'd be pissed.

Which might be a good reason to not act like a jerk in public if you don't want to be called out on it. It's gross! The push ups on a bathroom floor. And it's not discipline. That child will only learn fear from this, not how to behave properly. Ask any therapist or a pediatrician.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:14 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Which might be a good reason to not act like a jerk in public if you don't want to be called out on it. It's gross! The push ups on a bathroom floor. And it's not discipline. That child will only learn fear from this, not how to behave properly. Ask any therapist or a pediatrician.
The bolded has been re-iterated time and again on the effects of :Humiliation, physical force (punching, spanking, kicking) , violating the body and mind: by therapist.
The so called adults that actively pursue such antics as a form of discipline lack empathy and common sense. The worse statement is the person who says- Ohhh I lived thru it ( abuse, spankings, humiliation) and I turned out okay. I highly doubt they did if they continue to perpetuate it. Children learn , but not always from this style of domination. I feel sorry for the parent who is frustrated and chooses this sort of "punishment", when there are other ways to ensure a more respectable behavior from their offspring. Its not my place to train a parent, its simply my observation that says, no good comes from being a poor role model.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:08 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The bolded has been re-iterated time and again on the effects of :Humiliation, physical force (punching, spanking, kicking) , violating the body and mind: by therapist.
The so called adults that actively pursue such antics as a form of discipline lack empathy and common sense. The worse statement is the person who says- Ohhh I lived thru it ( abuse, spankings, humiliation) and I turned out okay. I highly doubt they did if they continue to perpetuate it. Children learn , but not always from this style of domination. I feel sorry for the parent who is frustrated and chooses this sort of "punishment", when there are other ways to ensure a more respectable behavior from their offspring. Its not my place to train a parent, its simply my observation that says, no good comes from being a poor role model.
https://www.healthyplace.com/adhd/ar...-adhd-children

Quote:
Athletic coaches and military drill sergeants have known for years that one of the best ways to get someone to be more receptive to training is to have them run a few laps or "drop and give them twenty"
I dont think it was humiliating because they were in a secluded place with a presumption of privacy not in the middle of the store. She wasnt making a spectacle of him. She was not hurting him or using pyshical force, his only complaint was that the floor was gross. Its not about "living through it". He is absolutely old enough to know that talking back=pushups. So now, pushups. Next time dont talk back. Simple.

10 pushups in a bathroom at a store isnt hurting him and its not teaching him fear. Its annoying to him and hes learning how to avoid doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting