Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 08:12 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selling home View Post
What if the virus goes on for another 3-5 years and all attempts at a vaccine fail? Schools remain shut with continued failing attempts at distance learning. Should the neighbors keep the kids inside refusing to even let them out on the back porch for an indefinite time? What physical and mental health impacts would the kids locked inside their homes for years have on both those kids and society in general?
The V. C. Andrews novel "Flowers In The Attic" comes to mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 08:22 AM

150 posts, read 300,647 times
Agree with earlier posts, I would anonymously call for a welfare check. It is very extreme and perhaps something else is going on and Covid 19 is an excuse..thanks for caring.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:34 AM

162 posts, read 209,469 times
Quote:
What if the virus goes on for another 3-5 years and all attempts at a vaccine fail? Schools remain shut with continued failing attempts at distance learning. Should the neighbors keep the kids inside refusing to even let them out on the back porch for an indefinite time? What physical and mental health impacts would the kids locked inside their homes for years have on both those kids and society in general?
There is what I think parents should do, and what they should be allowed to do. I favor giving parents a wide berth to make decisions that they feel are in the best interests of their children, until those decisions are clearly harmful.

I mean, I think it’s not good for children’s social, physical, and emotional development for them to play hours of video games a day, but I think it’s within the rights of parents to permit their children to do so.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:36 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally29 View Post
Agree with earlier posts, I would anonymously call for a welfare check. It is very extreme and perhaps something else is going on and Covid 19 is an excuse..thanks for caring.
I'm not sure when we all became parenting experts or even child psychologist who feel the need to comment on every little parenting decision other parents make that we don't agree with. I mean, if OP can hear the kids indoor playing, it's pretty likely he'd hear if any abuse was going on as well.

Let me tell you, I'm normally a pretty nice, laid-back guy. I'm not typically vindictive. But if you called to have a welfare check done on me for what is a well-reasoned parenting approach that you just don't happen to agree with, you probably won't want to stay living next door very long.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:55 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
I don't know. There are no guarantees. NO ONE knows when it will end.

Here is the thing - We DO NOT GET TO END PRECAUTIONS WITHOUT a VACINE and OR a CURE. So, the more people FIGHT THIS, the longer it goes on.

If children contract COVID-19, their lives and their health are over.

We have to deal in the truth, not fantasy.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:13 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't know. There are no guarantees. NO ONE knows when it will end.

Here is the thing - We DO NOT GET TO END PRECAUTIONS WITHOUT a VACINE and OR a CURE. So, the more people FIGHT THIS, the longer it goes on.

If children contract COVID-19, their lives and their health are over.

We have to deal in the truth, not fantasy.
I don't know that we can necessarily say "We do not get to end precautions without a vaccine and/or a cure."

The reality is that there is a possibility that we never come up with an effective vaccine. And as for a cure: we do have some viral infections that we've developed antivirals for, but for the vast majority of viral illnesses out there we haven't been able to come up with any real "cure." Viruses have that nasty ability of being able to mutate and it becomes impossible or at least not cost effective to keep up with that.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:23 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
I don't know that we can necessarily say "We do not get to end precautions without a vaccine and/or a cure."

The reality is that there is a possibility that we never come up with an effective vaccine. And as for a cure: we do have some viral infections that we've developed antivirals for, but for the vast majority of viral illnesses out there we haven't been able to come up with any real "cure." Viruses have that nasty ability of being able to mutate and it becomes impossible or at least not cost effective to keep up with that.
A vaccine then.

People are acting like five year olds - "It's Summer! I want to go to the beach!". NO. it doesn't work that way.

Child abuse would be ignoring this. Through out history, children have lived through, pandemics, natural disaster, war, and other vicissitudes.

It's tragic.

What is more tragic is parents acting like spoiled children awaiting recess.

We may have a New Normal.

I don't like it any more than you do. Or that family does. But I am following the orders of my doctor, and scientists to a T.

GROW UP, AMERICA.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:58 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
My daughter treats pediatric COVID-19 patients, two of whom have just had heart attacks at the ages of 2 and 12. That's sad. I can understand parents wanting to keep their kids safe when the cost of getting the disease is so high physically and emotionally.
But townhomes usually come with a small outdoor enclosure per unit, at least. The kids can also be taken for walks or bike rides around the neighborhood, to get exercise and some sun--that crucial Vitamin D, that helps keep immune systems strong! Why would the parents think the kids aren't safe being outdoors? It would only be unsafe if there were crowds of kids around. And nowadays, many states require masks outdoors, so if everyone is wearing masks, the kids will be safe to play, as long as they're out there alone, or the other kids are maintaining a distance.

This black-and-white thinking some people fall into can do more harm than good.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:06 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
You probably mis interpreted what she said.

Please do not call CPS on these people.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:24 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
The people who live next door have two kids ages 6 and 10 years old. I have not seen them since about March 1st. But I hear them every day running and pounding on the walls of their townhouse.

I did see their mother out on the porch and asked about the kids and she said that since the COVID-19 virus started to be an issue she has not allowed the kids to go outside their home. That has been almost four months now with no end in sight.

I don't believe it would be possible for my three kids to stay at home trapped in the house for that long 24/7. They would go nuts and act out. I don't even know if it is healthy to stay indoors 24/7 as kids. In my travels outside, I have seen more kids outside during the last four months than any time since I was a kid 30 years ago. The walking path near my home is jammed with adults and kids, bikes are sold out and everywhere, parks are jammed and kids are playing noncontact sports. But the kids next door remain trapped in their home 24/7. Your thoughts?
Paranoid and brainwashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Just because people are outside doesn't mean they've got to be close to other people. Our next door neighbor won't get anywhere close to other people.

Being locked up inside a house with numerous people is more of a petri-dish than being outside.

Some people just don't have any common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting