Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 05:32 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
I have 5 kids and me and the wife push education and good grades above almost everything else. We understand an education whether it be college or trade school etc is the way to move up in life, whereas neither set of our parents really pushed education much, they just didn't care. I dropped out of school in 9th grade and my dad didn't care, eventually he told me to get my GED or get out of the house. I am now 35 and in college. They disagree with the way we raise our kids which is mostly letting them independent as far as their language, way they dress, things they are interested in as far as hobbies goes and being very strict on chores, school grade and attendance etc. My parents and my wife's were more of the opposite of the way we are.
I would mirror this with any children we may have, I have no reason to INSIST that someone go to college. There are several businesses within the family they would be more than welcome at, starting their own, or going to trade school, or a university if they wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 10:26 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,444 times
I think my spouse and I mostly emulated our own upbringing in raising our children, who are now young adults. He and I were both raised in upper-middle class professional homes that placed a high value on education. We also had very loving and attentive parents, and I think our children would characterize us the same way. I was not particularly strict, and neither was their father. Our kids have always been responsible and self-directed people. As parents, we honestly had it pretty easy.

Last edited by abbottkd71; 08-25-2020 at 10:43 AM..

Old 08-25-2020, 10:34 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I lived a very buttoned up, proper childhood. We were all expected to stuff our emotions and be “good”.

I still expected honesty and a good standard of behavior, but I respected my children’s need to have emotions, opinions, and individuality.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:55 PM

129 posts, read 79,743 times
When I have kids I’ll be doing things much differently than my mom did with me and my brother.

She wasn’t focused enough on education and good grades and was more focused on controlling what I wore, my individuality etc.

I’ll have high expectations when it comes to staying out of trouble and doing well in school but if they want to wear all black and have pink hair, in my opinion that’s their body, their style. It’s not my place.

My biggest emphasis will be on being a good person who’s kind to others, being someone who takes their education and building themselves into well rounded individual seriously and the importance of staying out of trouble whether it be legal, getting knocked up, etc.

At this point in my life I don’t think babying, coddling or sheltering is useful.

I’ll be the parent who will educate my child on using protection vs grounding them for having sex.
They’ll be taught to be self-reliant, independent and mature.

“Keeping kids kids as long as possible” does nothing but hinder their growth in today’s society.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:46 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,360 times
For the parents who severely limit sugar and junk food in their kids, what is the desired outcome? Do you think they’ll grow up to be better people? Eventually they will find their way to the foods they want to eat. I certainly believe in a healthy diet and everything in moderation but the 0 sugar/junk food thing doesn’t seem all that healthy either. I recall my aunt doing this to her kids and they just overindulged whenever they went to someone else’s house or a party. They went on to be heavy teenagers then became obsessed with working out in their 20s to the point where one had an eating disorder.

Old 08-27-2020, 03:32 PM

129 posts, read 79,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
For the parents who severely limit sugar and junk food in their kids, what is the desired outcome? Do you think they’ll grow up to be better people? Eventually they will find their way to the foods they want to eat. I certainly believe in a healthy diet and everything in moderation but the 0 sugar/junk food thing doesn’t seem all that healthy either. I recall my aunt doing this to her kids and they just overindulged whenever they went to someone else’s house or a party. They went on to be heavy teenagers then became obsessed with working out in their 20s to the point where one had an eating disorder.
Yeah I’m my opinion it’s best to teach that moderation is key.
If you don’t teach them early on how to have a balanced diet and only restrict then they’ll never learn and will have issues as adults.

Granted I grew up in a household that had a lot of junk food like Doritos and tostinos pizzas, gushers, chips, soda etc and now as an adult when I want a snack I usually go for veggings and ranch dip or make actual food.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:07 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,360 times
Yeah there needs to be a happy medium. I know of a family where the kids are all overweight and the parents are too. I normally see them at the beach and they are things like Cheetos and chips. Hard to understand why.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:12 PM

924 posts, read 751,657 times
I've only had one child, but I think it's fair to say that I raised "Hayley" differently than my mom was with my siblings and I.

I do have to give my mom credit for being able to work full-time and be a single parent to three kids, this being after our father was killed in a car accident. At the same time, I feel that Mom was very sheltering and protective, and she wasn't good at allowing/teaching/expecting me to make my own choices and function independently.

Let's just say that none of that did me any favours once I got into my teens, and I did my best NOT to be that kind of parent with Hayley.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
I have 5 kids and me and the wife push education and good grades above almost everything else. We understand an education whether it be college or trade school etc is the way to move up in life, whereas neither set of our parents really pushed education much, they just didn't care. I dropped out of school in 9th grade and my dad didn't care, eventually he told me to get my GED or get out of the house. I am now 35 and in college. They disagree with the way we raise our kids which is mostly letting them independent as far as their language, way they dress, things they are interested in as far as hobbies goes and being very strict on chores, school grade and attendance etc. My parents and my wife's were more of the opposite of the way we are.
You and you’re wife are on the right track to raising kids. Your parents were douchebags. Ts nice to see parents take a active role in their kids success

Old 08-27-2020, 06:33 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:

When adult children are raising a family in a complete 180 from what their parents did is not entirely a good thing. If you look at it, it is using a dysfunctional parenting style as a point of reference for planning your own parenting style. What is bound to occur is young parents can unknowingly overcompensate in an effort to mitigate and give their children less of what they got from their own parents. You could take the good bits from your own parents and built on that all the while recognizing structure is what a child needs. School is part of that but letting them do pretty much whatever they want to is not. You could actually be damaging your kids being be poorly prepared to work and thrive on their own.

I have an example of my sister and her children.Her and I and our other sisters did not have hugs or praise when we were raised. We were put down. My sister has overcompensated with her own children and overprotected, fawned over them, and coddled them so much they do not know how to self-soothe, stand up for themselves, or leave home even now when they are in their late 20s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting