Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 06:53 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times

Advertisements

I think that $15 an hour is more than fair..especially for a 16-year-old kid. It sounds like she will just be sitting around most of the night, so I couldn't justify paying $25-30 an hour lol....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 06:38 AM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Ridiculous - I'll babysit for you for $10 under the table and I feel it'd still be too much to ask since the kids are sleeping. Heck $14 yrs ago - my pay as an x-ray tech in a physician's office was $20 an hour - and I had to pay for continuing education, my licenses and registration and was in charge of 2 other techs.

I babysat when my kids were in grade school - 30 yrs ago - going rate $1 an hour - ask a relative or friend to help you out.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:53 AM

445 posts, read 281,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I babysat when my kids were in grade school - 30 yrs ago - going rate $1 an hour - ask a relative or friend to help you out.
Yup, same here, $1/hr. Mid to late 80s.

Old 03-22-2024, 11:17 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
When my kids were younger, going back about 10 years ago, there was a teenage girl who lived two doors down from us. We paid her $10 per hour (or any fraction thereof) per kid, plus any expenses relating to bringing food in. The clock started when we opened the front door to let her in and ended when we arrived back home. Whether the kids were awake or asleep had no bearing on what she was paid. She had our permission to eat and drink anything we had in the house, as much as she wanted. (We don't keep booze in the house, so no worries there.) And once she put the kids to bed, she could watch TV to her heart's content.

She was very conscientious. Always came right on time. She loved our kids, and our kids loved her. We never worried at all when they were in her care. I always made sure to pay her on the spot, in full, in cash, right when we got home. If we were going to arrive very close to when the hour would end, we would purposely stall for about 10 minutes before going home, just to bump her up into another hour of pay. Why? Because she was worth every penny we paid her, and a whole lot more.

Always remember, you get what you pay for. The safety and happiness of your children is not the place to try to cut corners.

Old 03-23-2024, 08:13 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
It just shocks me to see high school/college girls offering their baby sitting services online for $25-$35 an hour. Social media is nice...but it's ruined a lot of things price wise. People seem to be finding all sorts of ways to make money online or advertising online which has caused many service jobs to go up a lot...fine if you're wealthy and can afford to pay a lot but it's made things harder for many who simply just need childcare.

I get the people shouldn't want to cut corners on child care but some simply can't afford to pay a babysitter $30 an hour. I guess this is why some people aren't having and we're seeing more mental health issues because people can't get away from their kids lol.

Old 03-23-2024, 02:37 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Hi All,
My wife and I are hiring our first babysitter ever. What do you think is a good pay rate for a babysitter? She will be here for 4 hours and she will just have to put 1 kid down to bed (3YO) after 1 hour, the other will already be asleep (10Months). For the remaining 3 hours she will be able to just sit around watching TV or whatever (hopefully).

The babysitter is 16 and I am in Chicago. Thoughts? I was thinking $15-20 an hour.
You hope she will sit and watch TV. But that is not what you are paying her for. You are paying her for what to do if your child tries to climb out of their sleeping are, falls, screams in pain, and she ensures you are promptly notified and medical attention is called. She is there if your 3 year old has a nightmare that scares the child to a shaking crying mess and she can put the child's mind at ease. She is there in case there is a fire or some other emergency that can save lives and you from property damage. She is there for the things you hope she will not need to do. Just like the car insurance on your car that you hope you never need to use. If you want a baby sitter that watches TV and ignores all of external factors, I would tell you $15 - 20 is too much. But if you want a sitter that can handle all those unimaginable situation, and the imaginable ones, it might be light in 2024.

Sorry, but I truly hate it when a parent says they are paying a sitter to watch TV. I hope and pray that is all she needs to do. If so, pay her well and count your blessings. But you are paying for the things you hope that she does not have to do.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:14 PM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
You hope she will sit and watch TV. But that is not what you are paying her for. You are paying her for what to do if your child tries to climb out of their sleeping are, falls, screams in pain, and she ensures you are promptly notified and medical attention is called. She is there if your 3 year old has a nightmare that scares the child to a shaking crying mess and she can put the child's mind at ease. She is there in case there is a fire or some other emergency that can save lives and you from property damage. She is there for the things you hope she will not need to do. Just like the car insurance on your car that you hope you never need to use. If you want a baby sitter that watches TV and ignores all of external factors, I would tell you $15 - 20 is too much. But if you want a sitter that can handle all those unimaginable situation, and the imaginable ones, it might be light in 2024.

Sorry, but I truly hate it when a parent says they are paying a sitter to watch TV. I hope and pray that is all she needs to do. If so, pay her well and count your blessings. But you are paying for the things you hope that she does not have to do.
Not sure I follow...are saying they might have to deal with a medical emergency or fire? The odds of that happening are low. Babysitters are making more money than CNAs and caregivers of elderly in many situations...like people who are changing adult diapers and giving them baths...let that sink in

Old 03-23-2024, 05:26 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Not sure I follow...are saying they might have to deal with a medical emergency or fire? The odds of that happening are low. Babysitters are making more money than CNAs and caregivers of elderly in many situations...like people who are changing adult diapers and giving them baths...let that sink in
The odds of that happening might be low. However, the odds of those things happening aren't zero, otherwise you could just put the kids to bed, head on out for the night, and not have to pay a babysitter at all.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:00 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Additionally, you're not looking at certain things. Sure that CNA is making less money, but they're getting a consistent full-time schedule. Their employer is paying half of their payroll taxes. Their employer is potentially subsidizing their health insurance, paying a match on a 401k plan, offering PTO. All kinds of things that you're not doing for your babysitter but are a form of compensation.

Old 03-24-2024, 10:16 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
I think a more valid argument is that CNAs and full-time caregivers should be paid more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting