Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:05 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,475,331 times

Advertisements

As a parent I absolutely would not care if my son and I ran into a teacher dressed as a pirate with a beer in her/his hand. Totally wouldn't care. Glad they are living fun lives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 09:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
One time my family was at a restaurant when an adult softball team came in and starting drinking. Among the group was my daughter's LA teacher. We had no idea if she was actually drinking, but she seemed to be having fun. We thought nothing of it. This was a middle school teacher. I might have felt differently about an ele teacher, but I doubt it. We live in a fairly small city and it is not uncommon to see teachers out and about.

I work in a pediatrician's office and I frequently see my paitents and their families in the same situations. I have never considered that I shouldn't have a beer or glass of wine if it is available.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:37 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,493,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
One time my family was at a restaurant when an adult softball team came in and starting drinking. Among the group was my daughter's LA teacher. We had no idea if she was actually drinking, but she seemed to be having fun. We thought nothing of it. This was a middle school teacher. I might have felt differently about an ele teacher, but I doubt it. We live in a fairly small city and it is not uncommon to see teachers out and about.

I work in a pediatrician's office and I frequently see my paitents and their families in the same situations. I have never considered that I shouldn't have a beer or glass of wine if it is available.
You know...that's another perspective...if I saw a doctor out with a beer in his hand...would I be thinking "oh, he must be a horrible doctor, he probably drinks on the job...he must be awful at performing surgeries because he is having a beer outside of the hospital, on his day off"........I didn't even think of it that way....

Old 09-28-2008, 10:12 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,187,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
I think the biggest shock for very young children is to learn their teacher actually goes to the bathroom, lives in a real house, and sleeps at night. Once that's over, if they are shocked by you drinking beer during a festival, or any other time, it's only because their parents make a big deal out of it, and frankly, it's none of their business what you do with your family on your time.
excellent point, 925mine

Now if you are out at bars everynight, coming to work hungover, or carrying a flask to school, THEN there might be a problem

go, enjoy yourself as a responsible adult, and have fun!

Old 09-28-2008, 10:24 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,517,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
It has never arose, but I worry about it. What if I come across some students of mine, with their parents at this festival, and I'm carrying a cup of beer? Am I expected to quickly hide it, or pass it off to my husband? Then throw a mint in my mouth so I don't smell like it? Or can I simply still hold it because I'm an adult, on my own time, in my own city...talk to them....not sip it while talking....and expect them to not think "badly" of me?

Thanks for your opinion..........
Former teacher (middle school) & parent (thought not school age yet).

Was at an outside patio restuarant near my school on a Fri evening with other teachers having some drinks & appetizers. A few of our 8th graders walked by & got all giggly silly "oh my gosh there's our teachers hehehehe"..ya know, the typical when a middle schooler sees their teacher out in public response. We just waved & sayed hi. That's it. They came in on Monday all "We saw you on Friday drinking a beer hehehehe" & I said "Yes, we were out just relaxing & having a nice time. How was your weekend?". I wasn't going to into detail nor really let them prey into the details.

There's nothing abnormal about normal behavior & drinking.

Never have been drinking & seen the parents, though. Don't see it being a deal at all.

I think a simple aknowledgement of "Hello" is sufficient & not to cover up what you are doing b/c you are doing nothing wrong. I was never one to hold a 10 minute conversation outside of the classroom when I was living my private life either.

As a teacher, as long as you are not falling down drunk in front of them, you are actually setting a good example of RESPONSIBLE drinking.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:45 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,051,868 times
lol, i feel your pain...
Im not a teacher, but I coach competetive gymnastics. And so Im held to some high standards too. I recall a little girl I ran into at the mall once. She was about 4, and just kept eyeing me while I talked to mom. Wouldnt say a single word to me! So I crouched down and talked to her and she says "How did you get out of the gym?? And how come your in REAL clothes?!?!" (i was in jeans and a sweater, not athletic attire she was used to seeing me in)
We had a huge meet recently, and after a VERY long and stressful day, i went out w/my family for dinner. And after that dinner, i had an adult after dinner coffee. Well, we then walked next door to get the kids (my own kids) ice cream, and who do we run into? but some of my little gymnasts and their mom. Now, I wasnt falling down drunk or anything, but I was pretty relaxed. The mom and I got to talking and all it lead to was agreeing we and a few other moms need to get together for a girls night out a couple times a month.
I think it can be akward, depending on who you run into and all, but youre an adult and its not like youre doing anything illegal or awful. It has no effect on your job, youre not drinking while at work, or showing up to work after a few...right? Youre not having to drape over your kids as they drag you out of the park drunk off your butt, and your not stripping your clothes off and singing raunchy songs. Yes, your a teacher, and you have a very very important job. You need to set a good example for the kids (both as a teacher and a parent) but you need to also lead your own life.
Youre not doing anything wrong and it doesn't mean your any less of a teacher. Heck, I figure all of my kids teachers need to have their time off to enjoy themselves and if they want a drink or two, go for it. Relaxing time spent in your happy way will make you a better teacher come monday. thats MY opinion. And also IMO, anyone that thinks less of you for having a beer while out enjoying a sunny day is pretty darn anal and you'll never totally please em anyhow.

Enjoy your pirate day!

Old 09-28-2008, 01:20 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,457,487 times
Try this one: my mother, a math college teacher for decades, meets her students in a sauna. Naked, of course. That was a public sauna where people expected to spend hours sweating. After "Hi and Nice meeting you", you are still naked together.

She told me once that she f*rted rather loudly walking in the isles between desks. Oh the life of a teacher.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:08 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,792,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
See...now I can't be one of the best teachers because I separate my work from my private life? I have to disagree on that one.

Why must I drink beer? Because I want to. Because I would like to have one. Because I am a 36 year old woman- my choice, my preference.

I drink beer around my minor children because...........I am not a minor child. And because it's legal.

I don't get drunk. But having....1 beer a week at home...

thanks for your post....
If you are so certain there's nothing wrong with it, then why even ask the question? You asked for opinions...I gave you mine. No reason to be defensive...

Old 09-28-2008, 09:19 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,494,702 times
I think it is ridiculous that someone would suggest that you hide your beer or not drink beer at all for that matter.
You are entitled to your own private life and it is not as though you are out bar hopping and drinking for the sole purpose to get drunk as though you were still in college.
You should be able to enjoy the time with your family and if having a beer (or 2) is part of that fun, than so be it!

I can tell you, I have a glass of wine in front of my minor children once in awhile, I don't even think they notice it. My best friend from college is an elementary teacher and I am certain that at times at our community pool during the Summer, several of her students have seen her drink a daquri before...
We are mature,40 year old women who are responsible ,as it sounds you are too....
Have fun!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:57 PM

193 posts, read 843,164 times
Most of your students parents probably drink, so I doubt anyone will be thinking anything if you run into them while holding a beer. Your an adult, and not breaking any laws, so therefore you have not crossed any boundries. So drink up, and have fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting