Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,176,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
What if I come across some students of mine, with their parents at this festival, and I'm carrying a cup of beer?
Well... if one of the parents made a snide remark I think I'd lift the cup to eye level, stare at it in bewilderment and horror, give a little scream and toss it away from me as though I had no idea how it got in my hands.
Then I'd smile sweetly and ask them how they were enjoying the festival.

Otherwise I'd just treat it the same as if they caught me carrying a glass of milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 12:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
As a parent, personally I'd have little issue with running into many of my kids teachers at a festival that is known for serving beer. However, there are many things that could change that thought from my kid's point of view.

For instance, for my 5th grader this year they are teaching the DARE program. If she were to see one of those teachers out drinking or smoking, it would be a huge jolt to her since it goes completely against the core of that program they are learning. It wouldn't matter one bit to her that it's legal and allowed as adults as it's a do as I say and not as I do issue at that age.

My kindergartener would likely wonder why his teacher was not in school and think it odd to see her outside of there long before he'd wonder why she had a beer. He's not around people who drink very often, so it's still a foreign subject somewhat to him.

For my older girls, their dad turned into a drunk and we divorced. So, as teens any adult authority figure in their lives during that time that they saw drinking would immediately have dropped way down the ladder of respect in their minds due to their own personal experience.

Ironically the older two are both teachers now and one does have drinks on occasion and the other has little desire to even touch the stuff. So to speak to this from their point of view......they both agree that it's not the student's or parent's concern/business if they drink or not, however they both realize that in today's age of technology that one you tube video of them with a drink in their hand could cause them some major issues in their professional life, so they are very cognizant of what they do and where. They don't want to end up an internet sensation. haha
In smaller communities such as mine, it is very common to see the teachers outside of school. It's a good time to teach your kids that teachers have lives, too, they go to work just like Mommy and/or Daddy, go to fesitvals to have fun just like M&D (if a student sees you at the festival they are there too for the fun of it!), go to the grocery store, the mall, etc.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:03 PM

36,575 posts, read 30,907,841 times
A lady I knew had just started her teaching career in a small town and her bf worked as a bartender at a nice place near campus. She often went their to eat and would have a drink with her meal. She also worried about what her students parent might think. Folks can be very judgemental in small towns in the bible belt. As long as your extracuricular activities dont interfer with your job, I dont see a problem.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:36 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,493,891 times
Thank you everyone, for all of your posts....even the people who disagree with me. It gives me a lot to think about.

As for....I think the poster's name was Sundance.......yes, I asked for opinions...but stick to the topic....I did not ask for any opinion about parenting, or drinking in front of my own children. That is nowhere in my post. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting