Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:48 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,085 times

Advertisements

Now maybe I am different, but I have been to the bars with some of my daughter's teachers. Maybe that line should not be crossed, but I am a young mother and the teachers are generally young so we have a lot in common and we like to hang out and have a beer every once in a while. As a student going through the MAT program, I have heard several prof tell us NOT to be seen with alcohol, drugs, kissing, etc. I don't know. To me, if it's on your own time with your family and your okay with having a beer around your own children, then what's the big deal?! I think that you have to be comfortable enough with it otherwise you will call attention to it while you are out and if ever seen. If you hide the beer like if you got caught, it's going to look like you're doing something bad, whereas if you simply say hi and act normal, it will be treated as such..more than likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 11:24 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,234 times
The fact that you are asking the question makes me think that you worry there is something wrong with it.

It is your life, and you should do as you please outside of school.

It is not a big deal.

These students you run into probably have seen people drinking beer all over the place, family functions, weddings, barbeque's, etc.... they should not find it unusual that you are doing so.

I know you probably think that the scenario would be a little "weird" but I agree with the poster that said that the student would probably be more focused on your family in pirate costumes than your holding a beer.

LOL, it just occurred to me that this may be bothering you because pirates have the reputation for being drunks! I don't think the kids are going to make that connection/assumption.

Just don't get rip roaring drunk in your pirate costume....... That would probably not be a good idea!

Old 09-29-2008, 01:29 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Saying you shouldn't be seen by students drinking a beer so that you can "hold to a higher standard" or whatever implies that there is something wrong with a grown adult drinking beer. That makes no sense.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:28 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I disagree.
Your highest calling, as a teacher, is to set an example.
I think the best teachers, do not separate their work life from their private life...and realize they may be given a chance to "teach," away from school.
Same thing with being a parent...
Yes, you have a right to a private life, but if your students see you carrying around a cup of beer, their opinion of you will drop accordingly...
Why must you drink beer, why can't you carry water, or a pop?

Of course, as a parent, I don't drink at home, (or anywhere else) either...so I can't relate to you wanting to drink beer around minors. I would feel ashamed to face my students again, if I knew they had seen me carry around a cup of beer. But that's just me.

You have a right to, but that doesn't mean you are right to. JMHO
I still haven't once said that I thought there was nothing wrong to it. I know you gave me your opinion. And then some. I almost felt like you thought it was wrong for me to even drink around my children-due to them being a minor (with your comment...."same thing with being a parent.......of course, as a parent, I don't drink at home, (or anywhere else) either...so I can't relate to you wanting to drink beer around minors). It is none of your business that I drink around my own children, and I didn't ask for any comments about drinking at home.....it feels like you're on a high horse and anyone who drinks around any minors- their own children....not only can't be a good teacher......but now can't be a good parent.

That's the impression I got......and that wasn't what I asked.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:38 AM

797 posts, read 2,991,704 times
Outside of having an adult beverage with a meal at a restaurant, drinking in public around minors is a foreign concept to me. In the area we use to live in drinking at festivals and such was always confined to beer gardens which operated like a bar, only adults over 21 were allowed in the fenced off areas. Alcohol is prohibited in all other public areas. Where we live now it is normal to find adults drinking in public, but it makes me very uncomfortable and I do not take my children to public events where people will be openly drinking. Now that you know my perspective on the subject let me say that if you were my child's teacher or other authoritative figure in their life I would not judge you for having a personal life and enjoying yourself responsibly. My child might think otherwise because they process things differently however I would also explain to them that you are entitled to a private life.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:34 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,833 times
As a parent, personally I'd have little issue with running into many of my kids teachers at a festival that is known for serving beer. However, there are many things that could change that thought from my kid's point of view.

For instance, for my 5th grader this year they are teaching the DARE program. If she were to see one of those teachers out drinking or smoking, it would be a huge jolt to her since it goes completely against the core of that program they are learning. It wouldn't matter one bit to her that it's legal and allowed as adults as it's a do as I say and not as I do issue at that age.

My kindergartener would likely wonder why his teacher was not in school and think it odd to see her outside of there long before he'd wonder why she had a beer. He's not around people who drink very often, so it's still a foreign subject somewhat to him.

For my older girls, their dad turned into a drunk and we divorced. So, as teens any adult authority figure in their lives during that time that they saw drinking would immediately have dropped way down the ladder of respect in their minds due to their own personal experience.

Ironically the older two are both teachers now and one does have drinks on occasion and the other has little desire to even touch the stuff. So to speak to this from their point of view......they both agree that it's not the student's or parent's concern/business if they drink or not, however they both realize that in today's age of technology that one you tube video of them with a drink in their hand could cause them some major issues in their professional life, so they are very cognizant of what they do and where. They don't want to end up an internet sensation. haha

Old 09-29-2008, 07:43 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,603,020 times
Sheesh, Mrs. Be, I had to run over here from the others forum just to post. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a beer at a festival and this is coming from a parent. If I ran into one of my children's teachers at a festival and they were drinking a beer I would think nothing of it - you are allowed to have a life outside of the school. Drinking beer or alcohol is NOT against the law.

Now drink up missy - http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

Just don't let me catch you hogging the kegger http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

And if your gonna start doing shots, please call me to join

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d... (broken link)

Old 09-29-2008, 07:55 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,181,791 times
Hey MonaLisaVito...some teachers probably NEED a beer or two after what some of 'em put up with! LOL

Old 09-29-2008, 09:43 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
I still haven't once said that I thought there was nothing wrong to it. I know you gave me your opinion. And then some. I almost felt like you thought it was wrong for me to even drink around my children-due to them being a minor (with your comment...."same thing with being a parent.......of course, as a parent, I don't drink at home, (or anywhere else) either...so I can't relate to you wanting to drink beer around minors). It is none of your business that I drink around my own children, and I didn't ask for any comments about drinking at home.....it feels like you're on a high horse and anyone who drinks around any minors- their own children....not only can't be a good teacher......but now can't be a good parent.
I DON'T think a parent should drink around minor children.

If you don't want opinions, don't ask for them...

Old 09-29-2008, 09:48 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,603,020 times
LOL, that's funny. Don't ever go to dinner over a Sicilian/Italian person's house. Wine goes with dinner many a night (in front of the minor children)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting