Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:31 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times

Advertisements

Saturday - I notice you said "closed off backyard" - does this mean fenced? It seems to me, the post in question did not mention a fence (back in "the day" everyone didn't have fenced off yards...), also, she did mention a very busy street.....different situation.

skbs - glad you are able to walk your dog. I'm sure that's nice for both of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 08:51 AM

KG - you are right about BACK THEN...geez, most people had better things to worry about than someone else's business. Not to mention kids weren't entertained to the extent that I see today. Hanging out in the backyard and learning to amuse yourself (while safe!) was a good thing. Fresh air, sunshine - how awful it must have been for him!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:47 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Spoken like someone who has never had a child.
I don't get it.... i have kids and I totally agree with the poster..... why do you assume they don't have kids if they are asking why you need a LEASH for your child??? if you are there to WATCH THEM????? I don't get it either..... If you are supposed to be watching them why on earth would you need a leash to walk them like a dog? I hold my kids hands and it works just fine.... they are four and six and I have never lost them.... not once..... never..... haven't had to tie them up in the backyard either..... my dog on the other hand.... that is another story.... but not my kids.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:04 PM

Probably the same reason you assume that what works for you ought to work for everyone and if it doesn't they must be doing something wrong....

Old 12-08-2008, 12:25 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
What do you think of those toddler leashes you see sometimes at the mall or other places?

I saw one yesterday that was a stuffed monkey and doubled as a backpack, with the tail as the leash.

I thought it was cute and a good way to keep a kid out of trouble. Any thoughts?

Here's a pic of the monkey one.
The Harness Buddy is both a harness and backpack.

Leashes are not just for dogs: children & safety
We had a doggy one for my kids. They were runners. They would dart out. The backpack is way better than the wrist one. They would just tangle others up in the wrist one. I would much rather have a safe child than care what people thought of me.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Probably the same reason you assume that what works for you ought to work for everyone and if it doesn't they must be doing something wrong....
Well, being tied up does appear wrong....when you are on the outside looking in....don't think anyone will ever change my mind on that one though

Old 12-08-2008, 12:47 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,340 times
We have one for my brother, bought it when he was about 2, he's was walking by 9 months, and he is a runner. After he managed to get away from my mom in the zoo and climbed behind a barrier.

He likes to walk, he doesn't like sitting in the stroller, he also does not like holding hands because he likes having his hands free.

His leash is a monkey backpack, and it's never bothered him. I hold the tail and he gets to walk and keep his hands free. He even likes to hold it in the car. For us it works. Even with 2 or 3 people watching him kids can take off in a heartbeat, or be snatched in a heartbeat. It's not about controllin him, its about letting him have FREEDOM while still being safe.

The leash is like an extention of my hand, and I really don't see the difference between hime holding my hand vs. me holding the leash, except that were both happier.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:54 PM

So, if you use this LEASH when do you finally teach your child to STAY PUT? Seriously? You teach them they can wander off basically. Give them the freedom you feel they "deserve".... but when do you teach them to listen to you? This leash nonsense sounds rediculous....

Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Well, being tied up does appear wrong....when you are on the outside looking in....don't think anyone will ever change my mind on that one though
Fair enough. I don't think anyone is trying to change your mind about what's right or works for you. Just trying to make the point that parents do what they feel they need to to keep a child safe. They know their own kids and situation better than you so maybe just don't be as quick to judge when you see something you personally might not choose to do. You might be choosing to do something that someone else finds very disturbing but it doesn't necessarily make it wrong. I have yet to meet the perfect parent so maybe we can be a little charitable in our attitudes toward others....

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-08-2008 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 12-08-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
So, if you use this LEASH when do you finally teach your child to STAY PUT? Seriously? You teach them they can wander off basically. Give them the freedom you feel they "deserve".... but when do you teach them to listen to you? This leash nonsense sounds rediculous....
Wow - and I thought you were calming down and seeing that no one was asking you to do something you didn't feel right about. But no! Apparently, you are the perfect parent I have yet to meet. Whew. Glad to know there is someone out there with all the answers. You said your kids were what? 6 and 4 or something? You do have it all down then. ..Everyone should follow your example. I'm sure the teachers at school, all your neighbors, friends and family are in awe of your perfect children and only wish they could match your parenting skills. Write a book, go on Oprah and make a million then. All the while teaching your kids that anyone who does things differently is WRONG...nice

Just curious - If you tell your kids to "stay" - is that treating them like a dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting