Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:24 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
This show is on tonight and I think TLC is doing another show starting in FEb about children in beauty pagants. THese little kids with spray tans, eye lashes and bathing suits really upsets me. I know there are parents here who think this is okay. I thought is was funny last week as a MOm says how much her 2 year old loves it while screaming on the floor. What exactly is the benefit for the child.
That is what I was saying. Her kid is throwing a fit and clearly does NOT like it.

The other one- Story- she looked like a 20 yr old lady. She went from a cute kid to something not so cute with slabs of makeup and tanning.

One of my own kids on the other hand watches the show because they are girls in pretty dresses, and then she has to put on a princess dress (disneyland cinderella dress that cost 65 bucks) and mimic the little girls on tv and then instructs me and her father to clap when she is done just like they do on TV.

My hammy kid IS into that sort of crap and i really am trying to avoid that path. We do karate and dance but beauty is not something i feel comfortable having my 3 yr old participate in no matter how much she whines about needing to be like them.

I know she loves attention and being on stage (she has over taken many family engagement parties by climbing onto the stage and started singing and dancing for people) but i can't imagine how this will help her to be a better person as she grows up.

It always seems like the mother is living vicariously through their kids when you see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 07:59 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I get that same naseau wash over me as well when i saw baby pagents . I think immediately of jon benet ramsey and to know that she would be a grown woman now saddens me . but when you see little 2 yr olds dressed up like 21 yr olds it makes me cringe and I want to slap these mothers that say their daughters like doing this . excuse me but you are exposing your child to predators that way . To me baby ,child beauty pagents are just a meat market for child predators . It makes me sick and I dont care how many champerones you have there you dont know who comes to these pagents . anybody else agree with me ?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:16 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I can't believe TLC is putting on something like this! Everytime I catch a trailer as I switch channels, I see the face of Jon Benet Ramsey in those little girls, and a wave of nausea, sadness and fear comes over me! Watch some lunatic mother kill one of those girls because her own lost the contest!
One can only hope that by showing something like this, more people will see how unhealthy it is. It's total ridiculousness and a complete waste, on so many levels. Those poor babies, being brainwashed so early. And then they'll grow up and put their own babies in them... parading them around in skimpy outfits with the big poofy hair and slutty adult makeup. And they call it "beauty". Sad. It's superficial and shallow and sets the stage for all kinds of insecurities and ego-issues later on down the line. Damaging... it's borderline abuse IMO.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:59 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
excuse me but you are exposing your child to predators that way . To me baby ,child beauty pagents are just a meat market for child predators . It makes me sick and I dont care how many champerones you have there you dont know who comes to these pagents . anybody else agree with me ?
I don't agree with you completely. On the surface it seems that this would make children more appealing to pedophiles, but not always. A 5 year old dressed up like a 20 year old would be a turn off to some pedophiles. If he/she wanted someone who looks like a 20 year old then they would seek out a 20 year old. Oftentimes pedophiles are attracted to "innocence," "pureness," etc. which in my opinion is lost in glitter, make up, fake tans, etc. However, by far, the biggest attraction a pedophile has with a child has more to do with the power imbalance and their ability to exploit it.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:51 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
What exactly is the benefit for the child.
I think some parents want or are living vicariously through their children--their unfulfilled desire or ambition. I wouldn't lump every single one as the same, and I haven't seen the show, but if what the posters have said is true about the kids being forced or pressured on it, then that's probably the case.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:38 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
What does a little girl gain from it all?

That you have to wear makeup and dress in skimpy clothes to make yourself feel good?
Um, as I said earlier, not all pageants are like that, and we personally saved 3K for our DD from her pageants.

Not all pageants are about tons of makeup and skimpy dressing, and what's the big deal about skimpy dressing as an adult anyway?

Old 02-08-2009, 03:43 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I get that same naseau wash over me as well when i saw baby pagents . I think immediately of jon benet ramsey and to know that she would be a grown woman now saddens me . but when you see little 2 yr olds dressed up like 21 yr olds it makes me cringe and I want to slap these mothers that say their daughters like doing this . excuse me but you are exposing your child to predators that way . To me baby ,child beauty pagents are just a meat market for child predators . It makes me sick and I dont care how many champerones you have there you dont know who comes to these pagents . anybody else agree with me ?
I'm sorry but I disagree totally, and no offense, but spell check is your friend. If you want to make your opinion known, please at least make your post legible so we can understand what you are saying.

As far as pedophiles go, they will be attracted to children no matter WHAT you do. In fact, they will be MORE attracted to children that look like children as opposed to these girls that do pageants, when they are dressed for pageants.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 AM

515 posts, read 1,558,147 times
Default OK, here's my daughter's response...

I was a pageant child from the time I was four. Most of you argue that all pageant moms make their kids to it to live out some fantasy from their childhood. This is comparable to saying that all muslims are terrorists, or that all gays have AIDS. It's true that some muslims are terrorists and some gays have AIDS, but not the overwhelming majority of either. Most parents don't make their children do it. In my case, my mother encouraged me to do my first one, and then after that asked me if it was something I'd like to keep doing. And I certainly enjoyed it. Alot of outsiders just see "painted babies" prancing around in outfits that their parents made them wear. For one, anyone who has ever been on stage knows that the lights wash out your face, and thus you have to wear alot more makeup than usual. Pretty much all pageant agencies have dress codes for each age division, so they are not dressed like prostitutes. All of you also seem to overlook things like part of the overall score is from the personal interview between each contestant and the judges. I can tell you that at my first job interview, they offered me the position on the spot. I honed my interview skills as a child. There is also the part where each contestant has to answer questions onstage. This gives quite a bit of public speaking experience, which I have found to be incredibly useful, impressive, and practical. I developed a love for the stage and performing, and I aspire to be a drama teacher. I never won much of anything, I've never looked much like a beauty queen. But that taught me to take criticism in stride. I always had a ton of fun travelling from place to place and meeting people from everywhere and from all different backgrounds. I could have stopped at any time, but I never wanted to. I certainly don't have any more self-esteem issues than the average teenager. In fact, I seem to have more confidence than the vast majority of my peers. I still went to school, made good grades, got to play at the park and have friends and play with Barbie dolls and jump in the mud and everything else involved with being a little girl. I was also gaining valuable skills. I don't have self-image issues. I wear makeup when I have time in the morning, but I enjoy sleeping more and don't have the time most mornings. I don't feel the need to please or demand acceptance from anyone. I'm me, and child pageants helped to shape that for the better. The only particularly unusual, and not distinctly good, thing that came out of it was the fact that I find comfort in the smell of hairspray...but that's another story. haha.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:07 AM

515 posts, read 1,558,147 times
As a side note... I was very particular about the types of pageants that I let our girls do. No over-the-top Pro-Am, no hair extensions, spray tans, or anything else like that for our girls. We are a middle class family, and this is a hobby. We could not afford to be anything but reasonable, plus I doubt that the girls would've enjoyed that anyway. I always read the rules and viewed photos of winners carefully before I let them jump into a circuit we hadn't done before. IMHO, that's just plain common sense.

~D

Old 02-09-2009, 09:50 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,808 times
First to the poster who made mention of the post that the spelling wasn't right pull back. I read the post and I understood it fine. I hate when people do that. If you can't understand it just move on I think it is ignorant to say something about it. I say this because I have read this before. People are all different and I know I miss spell a lot of stuff and I have seen others do that as well. It is a put down when you feel you have to write something about it. I could understand the post with out a problem, sorry you couldn't. Sorry but it really makes me mad, this is a forum to share your thoughts not school and EVERYONE should be able to do that at whatever level they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting