Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:16 PM

1,985 posts, read 4,077,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
I agree, lots of kids do lots of things that offend other people.

I'm curious only about one thing you posted--when a kid has a tantrum, do you look away and ignore? Or are you one of those people shooting dirty looks and making rude comments?
Depends. I think a measure of control should be maintained while in public for any kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
You know it's illegal to swear in front of women and children in the state of Michigan. There are other states but not sure which exactly.
That's one of those obsolete laws that mean nothing. I grew up in Michigan and women and children are witness to bad language all the time.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
again, I will say, using words as such only shows that intellectually a person lacks education, otherwise they would be able to articulate themselves better. TV and movies has also contributed to this culture, that it's funny, and it's not...it's a total lack of.
Not true.

I've known many high business people who swear on a regular basis, and I dare say they make more than you do and hold higher positions.

It has nothing to do with intellect. Carelessness maybe, but not intellect.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:25 PM

Just love seeing all these judges. Wish we were all as perfect as you folks who think you are so much better than that guy in the store with his family.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:29 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,237,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
That's one of those obsolete laws that mean nothing. I grew up in Michigan and women and children are witness to bad language all the time.

Didn't mean that it did! Just pointing it out. I said before I CHOOSE not to swear in front of children (mine or yours), strangers and the elderly. Just MY own way of showing respect.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:56 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,933,988 times
Quote:
Didn't mean that it did! Just pointing it out. I said before I CHOOSE not to swear in front of children (mine or yours), strangers and the elderly. Just MY own way of showing respect.
I don't anyone thought you did...I think the poster was just pointing out that it was an old law still on the books. However, the nursing in a car you mentioned early is an actual law, and new I believe. However, it means that the mom can go in the back and nurse the baby while he/she is in their carseat--not that you can take the baby out and nurse while the car is moving. (and yes, I have. it isn't comfortable, but is wonderful on those really long car rides!)

Old 03-10-2009, 07:26 PM

1,787 posts, read 4,765,208 times
Quote:
Yes that too! I was however thinking of a word that was from an uneducated person who lacks the ability to speak intellectually
What, something along the lines of "See You Next Tuesday"?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
.... and chewed on a bar of soap for awhile.
That can actually kill a kid. Not recommended.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:47 AM

28,989 posts, read 30,414,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
And a good parent would never smack their kid in the mouth.
and a good parent would...
There is nothing wrong with smacking a kid in the mouth...
I never had to mine, but...if he'd have ever said bad words, I would have
so stop with the insults
as I said, it's a difference of opinion...there are to many wayward kids out there today b/c parents fear discipline.
You parent one way, I parent another, doesn't make you right, and me wrong...just your opinion...

Old 03-11-2009, 07:51 AM

756 posts, read 2,223,970 times
Not smacking your child in the face in no way equals fearing discipline. Sheesh....

There may be a lot of wayward kids out there because they were smacked and never learned how to control themselves effectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting