Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 AM

28,969 posts, read 30,325,016 times

Advertisements

This topic is going no where and I can see where it's going to get nasty and heated.

I cannot believe the hateful comments already made due to a difference of opinion...which is what is wrong with this country today.

People can't allow others their opinions...and if one disagrees, they're the most God awful person.

Sorry I even started this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,926,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
God, this younger generation culture is so thick headed? I'm not talking about punching the kid in the mouth, either.
Oh. My. God...you think we're thick-headed? You won't even bother to take a look at the massive reams of medical research showing the dangers of hitting a kid in the face. You are singularly the most thick-headed person in this thread (and I'm not a youngster, anyway!). I don't care how hard or how soft you think you'd smack a kid in the mouth, YOU SHOULDN'T.

If you wonder why (though I'm beginning to see that you are dead-set to enjoy your ignorance forever) talk to your dentist and your family doctor about it. Ask them the dangers of disciplining a child by hitting them in the face.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Oh. My. God...you think we're thick-headed? You won't even bother to take a look at the massive reams of medical research showing the dangers of hitting a kid in the face. You are singularly the most thick-headed person in this thread (and I'm not a youngster, anyway!). I don't care how hard or how soft you think you'd smack a kid in the mouth, YOU SHOULDN'T.

If you wonder why (though I'm beginning to see that you are dead-set to enjoy your ignorance forever) talk to your dentist and your family doctor about it. Ask them the dangers of disciplining a child by hitting them in the face.
OK, fine, your right and I'm wrong,
Now, does that make you feel better? I'll go research what you've suggested to do...

Again...I don't know anyone, while growing up who had any damage done by getting a smack in the mouth...no teeth were uprooted or knocked out...ever...there was no danger of that happening when I was growing up with thousands of other kids...and if it would have happened, back then, the parent would have been arrested immediately...period. You are taking this to the complete opposite end of the spectrum and making it a beating issue. There is a difference.

and by the way, I am far from ignorant...so stop with the insults to prove your point please.
rules are, no personal attacks...

Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 AM

756 posts, read 2,220,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Want to hear a funny story? Ok. And this is true.

When very young, my brother swore and got his mouth washed out with soap. The rest of us didn't think that was what we wanted, so we never said cuss words.

HOWEVER, we knew someone who had 4 little girls. Their mother NEVER cussed. She was the sweetest, quietest thing you ever saw. Their father did swear, but tried to keep the reigns tight around the girls. Well, when the oldest was about 4 (they were all very close in age), she decided she liked swearing, so she would do it all day long.

Of course we kids thought she was very brave for cussing constantly and tried to encourage it as much as possible. We got into trouble for that.

Her younger sister couldn't say TRUCK, and we made her say her version of it over and over again.

Anyway, eventually we stopped encouraging and she stopped cussing and grew up to be a respectable woman.

Moral: So the kid cussed. So what. With the exception of a couple over-sensitive ears, I'm sure people understand things like that happen from time to time.

Hahahah! Too funny! I have a story with my own two youngest doing that. I overheard my son when he was about 5 trying to get my 2 year old to say something very bad!! He heard the expression on the bus and knew he shouldn't repeat but he just had to know what would happen to his baby brother if he said it

Old 03-11-2009, 09:49 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,926,744 times
Quote:

and by the way, I am far from ignorant...so stop with the insults to prove your point please.
rules are, no personal attacks...
"Ignorant" does not mean stupid. Ignorant means that you are misinformed or unaware of something. It's not an insult, it's a perfectly acceptable descriptive word for the situation.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:10 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,931,885 times
Quote:

People can't allow others their opinions...and if one disagrees, they're the most God awful person.

Sorry I even started this thread
Kind of like how others aren't allowed to handle their own kids the way they see fit without somebody in the next aisle over disagreeing with their methods and making judgements on the type of parent/human they must be...

Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Kind of like how others aren't allowed to handle their own kids the way they see fit without somebody in the next aisle over disagreeing with their methods and making judgements on the type of parent/human they must be...
yeah, and yanno what...I have bought this question to work, and not one person feels the way you do...or the other gals in here...

so, live and learn...if it were me, my child would never hear that word in our house...but he was not my child, and I was indeed shocked...and will never deem this as acceptable behavior...and if a toddler uses that word, then he heard it from home. He didn't just make it up and it wasn't a mistake of misuse...and yeah, I don't have much respect for the parents, but, you could be right, perhaps there is a whole other reason for it? Who knows...

Old 03-11-2009, 10:43 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,232,150 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about hitting the kid in the head with brute force? Sheeesh?????

God, this younger generation culture is so thick headed? I'm not talking about punching the kid in the mouth, either.

You guys take it to a whole other side of the spectrum. This is ridiculous...we got slapped across the mouth as kids...all of us, all of us...and it never disfigured or harmed us? If we would have ever said words as such...we would have gotten it across the mouth...no it didn't knock our teeth out, no, it didn't disfigure us, or disjoint anything? What in the world can you guys be thinking? I just don't understand your logic...
and, we would have had to say something pretty darn bad to get our mouths slapped. We very rarely got spanked...

yanno, the difference then, is, that we knew there was a consequence for our actions, so we didn't dare even as much as test our parents. Today, there is none, therefore, with the kids, anything goes, and parents then, find a reason not to spank their kids...like, it may marr them for life...Sheesh...

You need to get a grip on the fact that spanking isn't beating a child...and there is a big big difference.

I DID say that swatting/spanking was NOT beating your kid in the head!

And it doesn't make it right if parents of past generations did it or not. It just means that those children have a better chance of growing up to HIT their children.

Check this link out of crazy things people said and did in the 30's. Doesn't make it right

Ads from the 30's - By Cois

Old 03-11-2009, 10:45 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,232,150 times
Quote:
yeah, and yanno what...I have bought this question to work, and not one person feels the way you do...or the other gals in here...

so, live and learn...if it were me, my child would never hear that word in our house...but he was not my child, and I was indeed shocked...and will never deem this as acceptable behavior...and if a toddler uses that word, then he heard it from home. He didn't just make it up and it wasn't a mistake of misuse...and yeah, I don't have much respect for the parents, but, you could be right, perhaps there is a whole other reason for it? Who knows...
Crème brûlée can never be Jell-O. YOU could never be Jell-O.
I HAVE to be Jell-O!
You're never gonna be Jell-O! (My Best Friend's Wedding)

Old 03-11-2009, 10:56 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,931,885 times
Quote:

That's great your child wouldn't hear it in your house, but would your child hear you speaking poorly about that other kid's parents who you know nothing about? Would they hear you calling a perfect stranger trash based on a 60 second snippit of their life you witnessed in a store? In my opinion, that sends a stronger message then hearing somebody in their family drop the F-bomb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting