Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 01:56 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,317,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Our twins are bi-racial black and white, so obviously I could care less what race they date or marry. Why is this even a topic for people? Or is it more of a concern in rural areas?

I have lived "rural" all my life. The only place I have seen a problem was in the south, and at work once with a bad boss, and my father but our local society is mixed like everyone else's and we brush the dirt off the skinned knees of any crying child as if they were are own.

It's an individuals taste for hatred or ignornace supporting fear. It is like a selective and sometime inherited disease...it has no bountries where the pavement starts. Prejudices come in many shapes sizes and colors, more so than we do, and it's being able to promote the short guy at work, hug a black child, pray with someone Jewish, and not walk away "feeling" like you did something required or noble....just normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 02:09 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casshern View Post
I have been doing research and it appears most parents would not be satisfied. Even though I know most of you say "I am not racist and I would not care at all" and "if they want to do it, it is OK" but seriously? However we are human and we really do not know how we will respond if that situation actually happens to them throughout there lifetime.

All honesty right now, if you had a daughter who is 16, and your 16 year old daughter brings a black man, who is the same complexion as Wesley Snipes, how would you really react as a parent? Instead of giving the politically correct answer, just think about how you would react at that moment.

In some cultures, they would literally disown their daughters them from the spot if a situation like that happens.
I know the correct thing to say would be "No, I wouldn't care" but in all honesty I would - especially if she were white. I'd be polite to her but inside I'd be very unhappy.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:37 PM

756 posts, read 2,219,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I know the correct thing to say would be "No, I wouldn't care" but in all honesty I would - especially if she were white. I'd be polite to her but inside I'd be very unhappy.
I just want my my kids to find "the one" like I did. And, we are a biracial couple.

Skin color is just that, skin color. Doesn't define a person.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 AM

326 posts, read 880,860 times
NEVERMIND! This is one of those threads where you have to be politically correct than say exactly what you feel. I cant handle "the mob" today!

Last edited by thebanker; 05-06-2009 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-09-2009, 02:30 AM

207 posts, read 243,415 times
Quote:
I have been doing research and it appears most parents would not be satisfied. Even though I know most of you say "I am not racist and I would not care at all" and "if they want to do it, it is OK" but seriously? However we are human and we really do not know how we will respond if that situation actually happens to them throughout there lifetime.

All honesty right now, if you had a daughter who is 16, and your 16 year old daughter brings a black man, who is the same complexion as Wesley Snipes, how would you really react as a parent? Instead of giving the politically correct answer, just think about how you would react at that moment.

In some cultures, they would literally disown their daughters them from the spot if a situation like that happens.

Race, religion, culture, nor gender...would matter to me as long as the person treated her well.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:32 AM

13 posts, read 30,026 times
I would not mind a bit. We should judge people by the content of their character not the color of their skin.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:52 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
It wouldn't surprise me at all. Most of my kid's closest friends have been the products of inter-racial relationships, so they've seen lots of families with a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Our favorite friends jokingly refer to themselves as the United Colors of Benetton.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:27 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Okie dokie.. Have you ever sensed that someone didn't like you purely because of your complexion? If the answer is yes like I suspect, then I have to wonder where you get off being a hypocrite and thinking its cool.

For those of you who complain that you must be politically correct and are not permitted to be honest in this thread, then just understand when you say something politically incorrect (and for good reason it is not politically correct to be a racist idiot), be prepared for others to give their two cents on your bigotry.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:47 PM

18,390 posts, read 19,023,642 times
I would be fine with it, people are attracted to people. if it troubles you I would take this opportunity to get to know the person to see what it is your child finds attractive about them. if you trust the way you raised your kid have faith in them that the person they like will be a good person. on the other side of the coin a person of your same race could treat your child wrong. it is more about who the person is behind the face than the face itself.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:33 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:

Wow, what a question. In 2009 no less. So if heaven forbid, a white girl brought home the most repulsive of men, THE DARK-SKINNED BLACK MAN, would this be cause for outrage by me the parent? The question is so ridiculous, I can barely justify it with an answer...

If my daughter brought home a man who happened to be black and his skin color was dark, I would say that I have done my job as a parent, and done it very well. Because it takes a very unique young person of great character and depth to be able to look at a man who has been looked down upon all his life because his skin shade is not favorable to white societal expectations (esp in the South), and see the incredible person that he is. Only the best people have this quality. This country is flooded with men whose skin is as dark as that of Wesley Snipes, and you can bet that because of the adversity that these people have endured, they are no doubt the most incredible of people. Kudos to my daughter for being able to recognize. Only ignorance and shallowness makes people think that fine human beings are confined to people with white skin, blue eyes, and blond hair. Pretty pathetic.

No, absolutely no problem here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting