Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 07:22 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,589 times

Advertisements

Are you guys actually text arguing on the internet to faceless strangers?

Oh que la
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Jack, seriously, you know that's the name of the game. Reality states the truth, and politically correct states false truth. I am not a politically correct believer.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:37 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Sorry, I didn't realize I should be bowing. Get over yourself already. Sheesh.

We are all humans on these boards. We ALL have our own opinions. Who left you in charge of determining MINE is wrong?
Then all you have is one minor task. For the sake of argument, if we were to proceed from the assumption that:

1) These two are exactly the same in every factor besides ethnic origin.

2) There is nothing objectionable about the spouse besides his/her ethnicity, eg: He/She is respectful, successful, safe, has good associations, etc.

3) Your son/daughter is them self attracted to and has feelings for this person.

Explain to me what would be a logical reason for opposing this?

I don't need to get over myself. I simply have no mislead notion that all positions and opinions need to be given equal consideration. There is a line beyond which a human's position becomes so perverse that it should be handled more rigorously. If a parent would truly behave in such an infantile manner regarding the choices that make their children happy, then the burden of proof is on that person as to why their position has objective merit. The woman who stopped her son from dating your daughter is frankly more selfish and pompous than I could be in a lifetime and acted contrary to her kid's wishes just to satisfy her own sense of racial identity.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Then all you have is one minor task. For the sake of argument, if we were to proceed from the assumption that:

1) These two are exactly the same in every factor besides ethnic origin.

2) There is nothing objectionable about the spouse besides his/her ethnicity, eg: He/She is respectful, successful, safe, has good associations, etc.

3) Your son/daughter is them self attracted to and has feelings for this person.

Explain to me what would be a logical reason for opposing this?

I don't need to get over myself. I simply have no mislead notion that all positions and opinions need to be given equal consideration. There is a line beyond which a human's position becomes so perverse that it should be handled more rigorously. If a parent would truly behave in such an infantile manner regarding the choices that make their children happy, then the burden of proof is on that person as to why their position has objective merit. The woman who stopped her son from dating your daughter is frankly more selfish and pompous than I could be in a lifetime and acted contrary to her kid's wishes just to satisfy her own sense of racial identity.
Nor do I. Ask anybody.

I agree, but it was that woman's truth. And it is the same I am arguing that many people have. Sometimes it's racist, sometimes it's preference, right or wrong. Because you think in an idealistic frame on this subject, doesn't mean others do. In a perfect world, color, religion, nationality, etc., wouldn't matter. This isn't a perfect world and to many people, it does matter a great deal.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Nor do I. Ask anybody.

I agree, but it was that woman's truth. And it is the same I am arguing that many people have. Sometimes it's racist, sometimes it's preference, right or wrong. Because you think in an idealistic frame on this subject, doesn't mean others do. In a perfect world, color, religion, nationality, etc., wouldn't matter. This isn't a perfect world and to many people, it does matter a great deal.
I don't think in an idealistic frame. This is where you aren't getting what I'm trying to say. It isn't that I'm too idealistic, it's simply that these people's minds are too opaque.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:43 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Do they love one another? Is the other person of good character? Do they share viewpoints on those things in life that are important? Then why would I stand in the way?

After all, it's hard enough to find the right person in life without throwing up artificial barriers. At the same time, people of different backgrounds have to be cognizant of how those differences can affect the marriage and be prepared to deal with them successfully.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I don't think in an idealistic frame. This is where you aren't getting what I'm trying to say. It isn't that I'm too idealistic, it's simply that these people's minds are too opaque.
They are what they are. You can't make it different by wanting to. People are going to think the way they want to whether it's wrong or right.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
They are what they are. You can't make it different by wanting to. People are going to think the way they want to whether it's wrong or right.
And I've never said I would?

I don't know what you are getting at. I've never said my interest was getting people to change their opinions. I said they were wrong- you challenged that as if somehow that assertion was incorrect- and now you're saying that it is what it is.

Whether people realize how wrong they are or not is irrelevant.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
And I've never said I would?

I don't know what you are getting at. I've never said my interest was getting people to change their opinions. I said they were wrong- you challenged that as if somehow that assertion was incorrect- and now you're saying that it is what it is.

Whether people realize how wrong they are or not is irrelevant.
So what is the argument? A lot of people are racist. A lot of people aren't. A lot of people have other reasons they prefer to stay within their ethnic/religious/socio-economic groups. A lot of people don't, and move easily within any group.

Personally, I prefer the last.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:08 PM

271 posts, read 182,178 times
I-would-not-be-ok-with-my-child-mixing-no.I-see-i-am-in-the-minority-but-i-do-not-care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting