Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 01:34 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times

Advertisements

[quote=ATLater;8810870]
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
But I was very close to my grandmother and am very close to my mother and I would love it if my son brought home a woman who resembled them in some ways

When you say remsembles are you speaking physically or mentally cause physically the only way she could resemble your mother and grandmother is if she was related to you i do think i kind of understand where you're going with your thoughts though my father was raised by a single mother during a time where women of color weren't highly valued in society so in his eyes there is nothing like a strong black woman i think that is just something that black families have engrained in them i dont think its racist its just a part of who we are because often the glue of the family is the grandmother and she has a inner strength that almost seems immortal atleast thats the way i feel about my grandmother i also have a spanish friend and i love their extedned families closeness i've never seen that in a black family and i envy it i also eny the way haitian families help each other out when they first come to america and how asian families work otgether in starting a business i think each nationality has their own strrengths when it comes to family bonds so if thats what you meant i understand but if you meant you want someone who "looks" like your grandmother than no i dont understand
Periods and paragraphs.

Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 01:38 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post

Periods and paragraphs.

Please.

Sorry, I don't even remember writing that. Maybe, I was sleepy

Nevermind - I can see now you weren't even talking to me, I just saw my name and assumed it was something I'd posted. Maybe I'm sleepy now.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:38 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,068,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Sounds like natalayjones, though she objects to being called a bigot lol.
I'm not getting that vibe about Natalay at all. Why do you have so much of a problem with her?

Old 05-14-2009, 01:39 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Sorry, I don't even remember writing that. Maybe, I was sleepy
It was not you, Nat.

ATLater was the one who must have been sleepy.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:41 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
What would you call a man who likes only blonds? Or a woman who likes only tall, dark and handsome? Or a man who likes a woman who can cook like his grandmother? Or a woman who likes a well educated man no matter what he looks like? Or a man.... You get the idea.

There is NOTHING wrong with prefering your child be attracted to someone you feel could best relate to your family. EVERYBODY has a right to have preference. The problem comes in when that preference is for the wrong reasons; for racist, prejudicial, bigoted, hateful reasons.
I have to interject here. There is nothing wrong with having preferences for yourself, but when you start trying to apply those preferences to what other people choose, then that shows that there is a far different agenda and a far different motivation behind it.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I have to interject here. There is nothing wrong with having preferences for yourself, but when you start trying to apply those preferences to what other people choose, then that shows that there is a far different agenda and a far different motivation behind it.
Most parents want their children to be happy with someone who is welcomed by the family and can be comfortable being in it.

Parents want their children to be with someone who can support the daughters, and they want someone who is good enough for their sons.

They don't always get what they want, but it doesn't stop them from wanting it.

There are many, many women who would LOVE to choose the girl her son marries. There are many, many fathers who would LOVE to choose the young man for his daughter.

The original question is what the PARENT would accept. A lot of PARENTS would certainly NOT be ok with their child being in a interracial relationship. Just not too many will admit it here on this board.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Most parents want their children to be happy with someone who is welcomed by the family and can be comfortable being in it.

Parents want their children to be with someone who can support the daughters, and they want someone who is good enough for their sons.

They don't always get what they want, but it doesn't stop them from wanting it.

There are many, many women who would LOVE to choose the girl her son marries. There are many, many fathers who would LOVE to choose the young man for his daughter.

The original question is what the PARENT would accept. A lot of PARENTS would certainly NOT be ok with their child being in a interracial relationship. Just not too many will admit it here on this board.
Of course what we're referring to is outside of personality traits. All other factors being the same, wanting your son or daughter to marry the same race is no more inherently sensible than wanting them to marry the same hair colour or height.

There are many parents who would love to arrange marriages, and I see them as just as irrational and totalitarian.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Of course what we're referring to is outside of personality traits. All other factors being the same, wanting your son or daughter to marry the same race is no more inherently sensible than wanting them to marry the same hair colour or height.

There are many parents who would love to arrange marriages, and I see them as just as irrational and totalitarian.
That's YOUR opinion. Many DO think it's sensible. Just as my daughter's first boyfriend. His mother was who put a stop to their relationship ONLY BECAUSE MY DAUGHTER IS WHITE.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
That's YOUR opinion. Many DO think it's sensible. Just as my daughter's first boyfriend. His mother was who put a stop to their relationship ONLY BECAUSE MY DAUGHTER IS WHITE.
Many people believe that it is sensible that the Earth is flat and 6,000 years old. Obviously some positions have more or less justification than others. And as far as I'm concerned, if no one can point out any logical reason, outside of emotion, that a parent would object to their offspring dating a reliable, responsible, well to do man/woman of a different race, completely irrespective of the offspring in question's tastes and desires, I will be forced to continue deeming the position devoid of rationality.

In other words, it isn't my opinion, it is the correct opinion. Call me arrogant for stating this, but no one has yet provided any empirical, rational argument au contraire.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Many people believe that it is sensible that the Earth is flat and 6,000 years old. Obviously some positions have more or less justification than others. And as far as I'm concerned, if no one can point out any logical reason, outside of emotion, that a parent would object to their offspring dating a reliable, responsible, well to do man/woman of a different race, completely irrespective of the offspring in question's tastes and desires, I will be forced to continue deeming the position devoid of rationality.

In other words, it isn't my opinion, it is the correct opinion. Call me arrogant for stating this, but no one has yet provided any empirical, rational argument au contraire.
Sorry, I didn't realize I should be bowing. Get over yourself already. Sheesh.

We are all humans on these boards. We ALL have our own opinions. Who left you in charge of determining MINE is wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting