Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:02 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,186 times

Advertisements

My 14yo wants to play paintball. I'm not sure how I feel about this since they need to use a paintball "gun". I know it is not like a real gun but I don't like the idea of him practicing shooting at things/people. I've also heard the stories about kids getting seriously hurt by being shot in they eye/head.

He has already told me that he will be responsible with it and only use it when at the field, etc. But I'm still unsure.

Anyone have child(ren) who have played, or play, paintball? What were your and their experiences with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 05:50 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
I don't have an issue with paint ball as an activity. My 14-year-old won't do it though because when he tried it a couple of years ago he discovered that it hurts to get hit by a paintball.

Most boys I know (certainly not all) like to pursue, hunt, play cops and robbers, war, chase, hide and seek, water guns, laser tag...I think these kinds of activities are all normal. Doesn't mean anyone is going to turn out to be a serial killer due to playing these games. But, really, getting hit by a paintball leaves a mark. Ouch!

Old 04-10-2009, 06:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
My 15 y.o. loves paintball. All of his friends play it. BUT.....several of the boys live out in the country so the paintball is limited to out there on private property. All the boys wear protective helmets and long sleeved/legged clothing. Keep in mind the paint will stain. DS has old clothing that he has designated for paintball wear. I figure if it keeps them outside and active, they are on private property so there is no chance of someone getting "accidentally" shot with a paintball (definitely hurts), I know all the boys and their families so I have no concerns regarding behavior. I think that kind of game is very normal for teenaged boys. DS did have to save up for his own equipment. I will pitch in sometimes to help with the paintballs and refilling of the CO2 tank for the gun....A whole day's activity outside costs about the same as a 2 hr movie (not counting snacks). And healthier.

ETA...I was one of those moms who, when my son was a baby, said "no toy guns"......until Legos and even Barbies became weapons...to some extent it's just a boy thing (don't start, I know not all boys and some girls but OVERALL.....) and honestly, DS is a very non-agressive kid socially....

Old 04-10-2009, 08:39 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,552 times
I've played paintball and airsoft countless times. Make the kid wear protection (full face mask designed for paintball, a cup, some padding). And if you're so worried about the whole "gun" crap then make your kids take gun safety courses. Most paintball guns don't even look like real guns anyways. Also, if you're so worried, take the kids to a paintball field where there are referees and solid rules instead of letting them run around in the woods on their own.

And if your kid is a wimp (I'm not saying he is) then have him wear extra padding and warn him it'll hurt if he's shot point blank (especially in the squishy bits like the butt, since the paintball don't usually break--painful welts!), and don't wear anything you don't want stained.

It's a fun game and gets people outside and moving around. So long as there are a few rules in place and every one is wearing proper protection, there shouldn't be any problems.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:04 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
My BIL & his wife run the youth group for their church in CA. Paintball is one of the activities they do the most often. If it's done in a safe and responsible way, supervised correctly and with others who are not bent on destruction, rather than fun, it's my take that it could be a lot of fun. It's certainly helped their youth program!

I prefer laser tag or marshmallow shooters myself... no pain!

Old 04-11-2009, 10:51 AM

300 posts, read 735,082 times
Laser tag is less painful but it's indoors and the joints are just filthy; they seem to never clean neither the equipment or the place. Nearly perfect spot to catch a bug.

Paintball usually played outdoors and in bright sunshine. Wearing clothing too thin one ends up with bruises that last days, so it's a good idea to wear a thick sweater and pants unless your skin is naturally rhino thick.

They sell clothing specially designed for paintball, google it up - "Paintball Protective Clothing"

Old 04-11-2009, 11:35 PM

305 posts, read 1,234,013 times
it hurts and leaves bruises............

Old 04-11-2009, 11:41 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Hence the "protective clothing".....btw, so do many sports/hobbies/activities: football, soccer, lacrosse....my son has had stitches from baseball, a concussion from basketball so yeah, some stuff hurts. I guess he could be sitting in his room playing X-box, exercising his vision and thumbs....

Old 04-12-2009, 12:38 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,179 times
All I know about Paintball is it is on the list for Prohibited activities for Girl Scouts..that is enough for me to probably say no. Maybe LazerTag.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:01 PM

81 posts, read 272,749 times
I have a military summer camp, where we play paintball with the kids, and I can't say it enough- safety is what matters most. Make sure that your son wears ALL available protective gear; especially a good face mask. Often, kids will bring the safety equipment with them, and then try not to wear it. If we find a camper not wearing his safety gear properly, he is out of the game- no exceptions. Make sure that the kids have a safety word that they use, which indicates "time out" and to put the weapons on safety. If you have an adult who is willing to supervise them at play, even better.

I would keep his marker locked up when not in use, and make sure that he understands how to use it safely and responsibly. If he is playing with other children, be aware that some children will freeze their paintballs before playing, to make it hurt more when they are hit. Playing paintball will cause some bruising in children where they have been hit with a regular paintball, but when frozen paintballs come into the picture, the game becomes dangerous.

Different paintball markers have different levels of strength. Your son needs to know who he is playing with, to make sure that playing paintball is going to be a fun experience, and not an experience that can cause him harm. Be sure that the children that he plays with are also adequately protected, so that you are not liable if your son injures an unprotected child. You might want to go out and watch the first few rounds, but be forewarned- make sure that you are completely protected; accidents happen. Paintball is fun to play, but like many activities there is a certain amount of risk involved. As parents, our job is to minimize the risk to an acceptable level. I hope this helps. If there are any other questions I can answer for you, please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting