Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 09:15 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,072,643 times

Advertisements

My dad once hit me in the face with his belt so hard I ended up looking like a Raccoon. I went to school with that purple strap bruise right across my face and nobody said or did a thing about it.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 AM

467 posts, read 984,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I got the belt & a slap in the face more then a few times as a kid. I deserved it. I went to catholic school (west end-johnstown,pa) & a few nuns were damn mean. They would use a ruler on me & one grabbed me & threw me against the wall. I wasnt the only one though.
I'm passive to a point. I'm that one kid who would have enough, grabbed the ruler in mid swing and attepted to hit the woman back along with some comment about her loving religion she supposedly follows as she beats kids.

After I got in trouble, I'm not sure my parents would have blamed me for defending myself. Teachers teach...thats all.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:42 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
I'm passive to a point. I'm that one kid who would have enough, grabbed the ruler in mid swing and attepted to hit the woman back along with some comment about her loving religion she supposedly follows as she beats kids.

After I got in trouble, I'm not sure my parents would have blamed me for defending myself. Teachers teach...thats all.

I never could understand the Nun with the ruler thing. I always found it rather disturbing that a Holy person could hit a child.

If a Nun ever hit my child..........I won't even go there.......

Old 11-17-2009, 09:43 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times
Yes I was spanked as a child when I misbehaved but never with a tool (i.e. belt, switch, rod, hanger, etc). My kids were also spanked when they misbehaved. It was always done with an open hand aimed at the bottom through the clothing. I was never hit anywhere else on my body and neither were my children. I was spanked as were my own kids as a form of punishment for bad or unacceptable behaviour. It was obey the rules and behave or be spanked. I suffered no effects from it and in conversations with my now adult children, they also see nothing wrong with it.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,336 times
Live in Texas, and sure do use my belt! Have 3 sons, 15, 12 and 9 and they get their butt cheels licked whenever they diobey! And, our school paddles their behinds to. If they get paddled in school, they get my belt when they come home!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
I don't advocate hitting kids at all. But teenagers, a different story. Willful, misbehavior is an issue that needs to be dealt with appropriately, and sometimes...corporal punishment makes more of an impact...My son never took my car again without permission...and never lied to me, that I know about, after that...and I am not a parent who ever thought that corporal punishment was ever appropriate. But one time....and he knew he crossed the line...

Old 01-21-2011, 05:35 PM

305 posts, read 655,585 times
People using a belt on their kids are uneducated, uncontrolled savages that have no business raising kids.

So much research has been done on the subject, to put one's head in the sand and repeat "itainttrueitainttrueitainttrue" reminds me of flat earthers back in the days.

I don't know anyone who does that anymore, thank God.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
People using a belt on their kids are uneducated, uncontrolled savages that have no business raising kids.

So much research has been done on the subject, to put one's head in the sand and repeat "itainttrueitainttrueitainttrue" reminds me of flat earthers back in the days.

I don't know anyone who does that anymore, thank God.
I agree. I think it should be against the law, if it already isn't.
To strike a child with anything, fist, belt, towel, anything is wrong,.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
I was spanked with a leather belt or, worse, the dreaded "cow strap". It was a strap used to hang the milking apparatus on a cow, much thicker than a belt. My mother got it from my friends' mother who used one on her kids (she got them from her parents, who owned a dairy farm). It always hung there on the closet wall. Eventually, just the threat, "Do you want the cow strap?" was enough to get me in line. This was back in the 60's. I did NOT EVER use any type of corporal punishment on my own kids, except for one time I did give my oldest a couple of swats (with my hand) on the butt at age three for suddently running out into the street to retrieve a ball. It scared me to death.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:22 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsrus View Post
Live in Texas, and sure do use my belt! Have 3 sons, 15, 12 and 9 and they get their butt cheels licked whenever they diobey! And, our school paddles their behinds to. If they get paddled in school, they get my belt when they come home!

Whenever they disobey, huh? And when they come home from school after being paddled at school. Happens a lot, does it? That sure seems to be working out great for everybody. Pretty effective, would you say?

This whole thread just reeks of sadism and abuse of power. Not talking about light spanking, that's your business. But using brute force on your own child and instilling real fear into them as a way of discipline is so alien to me I can't even comprehend some of the answers here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting