Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 08:19 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroe View Post
since i'm black i will speak for only the black children(not trying to be racist)

most black kids get whooped with a belt on a daily bases, never really with the hand. Me, my brothers and sisters started getting spanked at like 9 months old to 2 year old. Then after 2 years old we all got whooped with a belt or beat. We got whooped probably up to the age of about 15 or 16. I'm strictly against any kind of abuse against your kids because of that.
It's ok to speak for your own kind. Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry for what you and your siblings went through. What's good is that you are following your own path.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:23 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times
no they dont ----- and it shows.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:48 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,763,698 times
I haven't read much of this thread, it is long.

I know that there are going to be people who advocate 'taking the belt' to kids, and people who don't.

I know that for me, I got my ass pelted with a belt quite often. I am not necessarily going to do it to my kid ( I currently have no children ) , but since I feel that I "turned out fine", I really don't see what the fuss is about.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:29 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I know that for me, I got my ass pelted with a belt quite often. I am not necessarily going to do it to my kid ( I currently have no children ) , but since I feel that I "turned out fine", I really don't see what the fuss is about.
People have different views towards it. What can work out for a person might not work for the other. Every individual is a world with varying temperaments or as well as growth development.
What's not ok is for one to impose their own experience onto everyone else. If the belt worked for you so it did but not necessary impose that on others, esp. those who are offended by it.
I got no children for now but no, if I had kids, I chose my own path on not spanking, whether than be slapping with hands or an object. I can't imagine making a kid cry. For what? Just to get him/her to listen to me.....

Old 11-15-2009, 12:31 AM

16,076 posts, read 28,584,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
That's sick. She has a mental problem and yet you hit her. Sick........

This is an old Weekend traveler thread, they've had another incarnation since and gone again.

Started going thru the posts quickly reading, saw the post you mentioned.
I can't even read further, I'm sick.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:55 PM

536 posts, read 1,872,480 times
I remember my dad threatening to beat me with one of those big leather straps used for a shaving razor. Not sure if he ever hit me with one. I know I got spanked. we would get lined up, drop our pants and grab our knees.

I do not agree with hitting kids. Although I do agree some need it! I believe a kid should respect their parents but not fear them. Hitting them will let them know the consequence, but will probably lead to them either not telling you what they did, or lie about it. Depending on the kid you could beat them everyday and they will only end up resenting you.

If the kid has done something that requires a parent to be violent with them, it is the parent that failed.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:15 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,061,674 times
My mother was an abused child, so absolutely no spanking took place in our household...ever.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 11-16-2009 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-17-2009, 08:54 AM

18,481 posts, read 31,678,189 times
OMG, the belt.............
I couldn't even imagine ever hitting my sons with a belt. I love my children. I think that is horrible beyond comprehension.

Oh, I haven't talked to my father since teen years . He liked the belt.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:57 AM

467 posts, read 984,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I am in my early 50s and remember the days when parents were not your friends but in many cases your worst nightmare. I remember parents of some of my friends were really scary and if you crossed them they would come at you hard.

One parent liked to use his belt on the kids and when they did wrong he had a system where they pulled down their pants and the belt was used to give them a real whooping. I can still remember the yells and screams of the kids as the belt hit their buts!

So, do parents use a belt anymore on their kids?
No, it didn't do any good when my parents did it, so why should I? Once that sting goes away you just go back and do it again (only making sure not to get caught).

Only teaches you to be scared of your parents and how to be sneakier about doing things.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:01 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,043,283 times
I got the belt & a slap in the face more then a few times as a kid. I deserved it. I went to catholic school (west end-johnstown,pa) & a few nuns were damn mean. They would use a ruler on me & one grabbed me & threw me against the wall. I wasnt the only one though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting