Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 03:21 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Yes, there may be, a subjective view though. That does not negate that information is there though.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
It was a joke, Amigo

Old 05-05-2009, 02:53 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
It was a joke, Amigo
I my God. Sorry, I keep missing those a lot. It flew over my head and I did not even feel the wind draft. I happens very often. I guess I have not developed a good radar for jokes like that yet. Bear with me, one of these days I will get it.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 11-10-2009, 11:57 AM

5 posts, read 17,973 times
My dad used the belt on me when I was a kid. It was referred to as "the strap" in our family.

My mom used the hairbrush - and usually it was on my bare hiney

But spankings ended around age 10 - and I don't think the spankings were detrimental to me in the long run. Although I sure hated getting them at the time.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,467,494 times
I don't agree with "using the belt" ---- would you "use a belt" on someone at work to get their attention? Or on a friend you're annoyed with? Of course you wouldn't so why use it on your kids?

I think the problem is the being a friend versus being a parent. It's fine to have an open relationship with your children, but you have to stay on your side of that "fine line" and know that you're the parent and, therefore, you are in charge of things (not your kids).

Discipline (swift, fair, and appropriate) works better than "the belt" any time.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:06 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnjct View Post
My dad used the belt on me when I was a kid. It was referred to as "the strap" in our family.

My mom used the hairbrush - and usually it was on my bare hiney

But spankings ended around age 10 - and I don't think the spankings were detrimental to me in the long run. Although I sure hated getting them at the time.
Stop bumping ancient threads about spanking. Its perveted and noone wants to read old threads created by known trolls, or are you one yourself?(I'm guessing YES, just trying to get some cheap thrills off spanking threads?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnjct View Post
I HAVE a spanking fetish. My mom spanked me with a hairbrush when I was a kid. Not a lot, but about 8 good old fashion, pants down, bare hiney, spankings across her lap until age 12.

I HATED getting spanked as a kid. But as an adult, every now and then I enjoy a good old fashion spanking on my bare hiney. Just the way mom did it.

Go figure!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,812,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniyasmommy View Post
My daughter has autism and that is no excuse to get away with everything so yes I spank her as a form of discipline.
That's sick. She has a mental problem and yet you hit her. Sick........

Old 11-11-2009, 10:41 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,812,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniyasmommy View Post
Also the bible says spare the rod spoil the child.
So you only do it base on what the bible states and not because of yourself?? What if the bible tells you to go eat from the garbage once in a while because it's healthy and teaches you concentration....

Old 11-11-2009, 10:57 AM

298 posts, read 998,411 times
My father used his belt on me only once. I was hiding behind a chair (after being a big brat) and he hit me with it and then he realized that the belt buckle slipped down and hit me. It hurt so bad I looked at him stunned and couldn't make a sound for a bit. After that, he hugged me and he never used a belt again. Really, I can count on only one hand the times my parents hit me (spanked me). I hated to see them mad so I tried to behave.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:10 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,687,708 times
Again we are talking about the good old days. Parents need to be allowed to be parents and stop being micromanaged by various "special interest" groups and politics in general. For every story I hear about a parent who gets arrested for disciplining their child in the store, or a child being removed over an allegation with no real significant evidence to support it, there are horror stories of cases of abuse where the authorties have failed miserably to act on numerous tips and calls to Police that something is wrong. There have also been instances where the investigators have simply ignored NUMEROUS "red flags", or were simply overworked, lazy, unconcerned etc to do the proper follow-up that would have uncovered the abuse. Another poster also said that they are quick to say your child has some kind of mental deficiency and put them on some kind of medication that over time will do more damage to that child's body than this so-called condition. As a parent I make the rules in my home my children have two choices: either follow them or suffer the consequences. That is how my siblings and I were raised, and none of the 4 of us have ever been on drugs (or felt the need to experiment) abuse alcohol, are on any kind of government "free ride" program, or have ever had any run ins with the law. I now today that kind of stat doesn't mean much, but I think its significant. Another thing when I grew up Parents were not afraid of their children no matter how big they get.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:05 PM

173 posts, read 609,847 times
Just want to jump in and say that in Scandinavia / Nordic. It's very rare for people to spank, and almost unheard of people to ever use an item /tool to do so. Having lived in Sweden, Finland and Denmark i have never heard or seen anyone spank their kid. And we do have little criminal activity (Very low rate in Finland, especially)

I have spoke with alot of people from europe that i know, and most if not all find it shocking that i ask them of this. And say they wouldn't raise a hand to their kid.

I'm not saying what you're doing is wrong, but if a bigger part of europe can do without it. I think you should look somewhere else when it comes to criminal activity, Addiction, And "Whoring" as someone was nice enough to say here.

Anyway, whatever works for you. It's your children, and it's up to you how to discipline them. Not the school, not your neighboor, Your job.

Ofcourse it does exist in Europe, i'm not saying it dosn't. But it get looked down upon, and no one speaks of it if they do. Been teaching some at schools (Elementary, and higher grades) and never heard of anyone getting hit. And if they would have told such a story, i can see several teachers marshing to the police. It's illegal in Finland to "aga" a child, meaning anything that is harming your child, with force. Be it using a belt, or such.

Anyway, sorry for stealing the topic. Just wanted to share how it works in some parts of Europe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.