Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:06 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have no doubt the OP's child was projecting something someone said to him.
You have NO idea what it was, and do you why? Because you WERE NOT there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 12:10 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,264,568 times
When my step daughter was 4yrs old we moved from an area that was probably 95% white to a much much more diverse area. There were a number of other races of kids there. She didn't have any issues playing with any of them. She always had funny stories about the other kids. We never really talked to her about 'different' kids. Think of it as our own personal social science experiment. One day there was apparently an arguement between some kids..or fight...not exactly sure. But it was between an african american child and a hispanic child.

I asked her, " who were these boys that were fighting?"

She said, "Well...it was those brown boys and those tan boys...".

And that is the point we had to start discussing races of people with her.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You have NO idea what it was, and do you why? Because you WERE NOT there.
People who think children make this stuff up out of thin air are delusional.

SOMEONE said those words to him.

It might not have had anything to do with race. It might not have even been a child.

But SOMEONE told him he was disgusting and to not look at them.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
People who think children make this stuff up out of thin air are delusional.

SOMEONE said those words to him.

It might not have had anything to do with race. It might not have even been a child.

But SOMEONE told him he was disgusting and to not look at them.
A 3 or 4 year old probably doesn't really know for sure what the word "disgusting" even means. He may have heard the word, thought it sounds interesting and is trying it out. Kids try out words -- a kid might have told him he was disgusting, and that could have sounded like a fun cool thing term to use on other kids he encountered.

I remember being quite young and hearing kids at school call other kids "snot" and then using it on my sisters since it had such a nice ring to it and they would use it until our parents asked us if we even knew what it meant -- which we didn't so they told us and we asked it it was a bad word or if could we keep using it -- knowing the meaning made it all the better.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:22 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
I do think it's possible the child heard someone say it but I don't think we can assume the circumstances under which it was said or to whom it was directed. He could have heard one child say it to another or one adult say it to another - or someone on TV - even a cartoon. As to the "why" of it? Anybody's guess...I don't think you can just automatically assume he heard it in a racial context or that he used it that way.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:35 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
Someone said the word "disgusting" to or near him, but we have absolutely no idea in what context. Obviously he heard the word (although it's not clear if he knows what it means, and certainly is not clear that this has anything to do with skin color) but it's a HUGE leap to jump to the conclusion that one isolated incident is at all related to the other child's skin color.

It would be different if there was something more to the story that we haven't heard (other sentences said, an obvious pattern, etc.), but in this case one example of being mean to another kid of a different race isn't worth getting concerned about, other than to tell him that you can't call other people "disgusting." (for whatever reason.)

Old 11-10-2009, 08:05 PM

I'll grant you both that he may have heard someone say it to someone else.

But my point remains that this boy heard someone say it and in the context of being mean, not just trying out a word.

He didn't make it up himself.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I'll grant you both that he may have heard someone say it to someone else.

But my point remains that this boy heard someone say it and in the context of being mean, not just trying out a word.

He didn't make it up himself.
Agreed but the "meanness" may or may not have had a racial component.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Agreed but the "meanness" may or may not have had a racial component.
I think it's highly likely since the OP shared that the school is very blended racially. Sadly, those schools are hotbeds for self-segregation and racism. It's the schools with a lower percentage of minorities that don't normally have these problems because the minorities integrate into the student population. In a school with a higher percentage of minorites, students tend to form racial groups. See the book "why are all the black kids sitting together in the cafeteria" if you don't believe me. This phenomena is less prevalent in districts with a lower percentage of minorities.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:15 PM

I don't disbelieve you wrt that issue - but there ARE other things going on - even in racially diverse schools. And we don't even know that is where he heard it. MIGHT it be racial? Of course - but we just don't have enough info to make that call for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting