Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 12:07 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
This is funny. He is suppose to answer your question but you won't answer his.
He hasn't answered any of my arguments to this point. Whatever, though, I just have to shake my head at anyone who thinks that a full-grown adult hitting a child is OK. Real tough guys we're dealing with here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 12:10 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
How about taking away dangerous things or applying a cover to it. There is also entertaining them with toys. In my younger brother's case, when he was 1 year old, none of the two options would have worked because he would have still done it anyways. Though, if it was me.. would have handled it different but I left it to them (mainly out of laziness and besides I was just 16 at the time).
Yes every kid is different but it doesn't mean you have to portrait yourself like an amateur talking about how smacking is the how to solve things. That's just me but yeah in general many men, in terms of kids, like to have it the easy way. Even when it's not threatening cases, just for talking back or simply disobeying, they like to smack instead of talking.
Only a relative child with no practical experience raising kids would speak in such absolutes.

As for us men folk generally just liking to smack kids around to keep them in line? Not sure what hell hole you grew up in but that's not my experience.

Oh wait, I'm just one of those lazy dads....oh please shut up with the gross ill-formed generalizations. I'm a single dad with two kids. I work, cook, clean, help with homework, drive them to stuff, tuck them in every single night....I doubt you can barely care for yourself.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:16 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I'll give you that beating and spanking aren't exactly the same thing or the same severity....but that's usually how abuse starts out, as simple "innocent" spanking.

Slapping, hitting, and spanking are exactly the same thing....just interchangeable terms.

Spanking should be reserved for the bedroom between 2 consenting adults!
NO! In many cases...I have seen them in REAL LIFE... NOT spanking results in ABUSE! Parent's who refuse to appropriately disciple children who desperately need it end up going off the deep end. When they finally DO react, it is with violence. They make a pact that they will never spank their children....they are "perfect" parents, loving parents, reasoning parents, until they can't handle it anymore and SNAP...which results in physical assault!! NOT spanking! If there are no consequences for actions, there is chaos and danger!

Last edited by beachmel; 01-28-2010 at 01:10 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 12:17 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
He hasn't answered any of my arguments to this point. Whatever, though, I just have to shake my head at anyone who thinks that a full-grown adult hitting a child is OK. Real tough guys we're dealing with here.
Regardless of how we feel about the topic, it's intellectually dishonest to portray spanking as an adult beating up on a child.

It all boils down to the fact that it's the parents call on how they want to raise the kid. They will reap the bad or good that comes from those decisions well into their later years.

I've not seen anyone advocating "beating" a child.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:28 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
At the same time about compatibility thing. That's one thing I would be arguing with a pro-spanking man all day so it wouldn't work out. I'll go find myself someone a man who holds my same views in regards to this. I want a civilized one, not an uneducated one....

I think the only uneducated poster is the OP. I have never heard anyone ever say that spanking a kid makes you uneducated lol

There is a difference between abuse and discipline. You can spank a kid without anger and teach a very valuable lesson. I see my neighbors kids run hog wild because their parents are tree huggers that refuse to discipline their kids. When I grew up I knew better than to pull some of the stuff they do, I would have gotten a good spanking at the very least, so I knew not to do things that were wrong. I guess that makes me uneducated.

Should I turn in my security clearance and give up my awesome job now or later?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:31 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:

You are making the assumption that spanking is abuse, it does not equal the same. Spanking in anger could very well be abuse, I get that. If you spank your kid and talk to them why and they understand what they did was wrong it is not abuse, not even close to it. Nor is this a grown adult smacking around a kid.

It is ridiculous to even say that lol

Old 01-28-2010, 12:32 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've not seen anyone advocating "beating" a child.
Nobody is. Sunflower is overreacting and doesn't even have kids. Maybe she was beaten, I don't know.

Funny how so many things, like spanking is so very bad now when most of us adults grew up with a spank from time to time and we are all ok.

Nobody knows yet the affect of passivity raising children is going to have on future generations starting with the one growing up right now (For those parents who think all they have to do is talk, talk, talk to kids.). My guess is they will grow up frustrated and confused and unable to reason and problem solve.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:39 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
If there are no consequences for actions, their is chaos and danger!
Now I agree with you 100% on that point. Just because we don't spank our kids doesn't mean its a free-for-all. Many spankers seem to think that the only option other than spanking is letting your kids walk all over you and do whatever theur want, which is not the case. There are consequences for all misbehavior, talking back, etc. Its not the type of discipline that matters, its boundaries and consistent consequences. This does not necessarily have to include physical punishment.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Now I agree with you 100% on that point. Just because we don't spank our kids doesn't mean its a free-for-all. Many spankers seem to think that the only option other than spanking is letting your kids walk all over you and do whatever theur want, which is not the case. There are consequences for all misbehavior, talking back, etc. Its not the type of discipline that matters, its boundaries and consistent consequences. This does not necessarily have to include physical punishment.
No, it does not necessarily have to include physical punishment. Sometimes though....it does have to include physical punishment.

If you have a child who is a "hitter", sometimes, you have to show them what it feels like, in order to curb that problem. If you have a child who repeatedly tries to dash out into the street, you MAY have to show them an equation...."Street = Pain". I would much rather see a parent swat their child for running into the street, than see that same child dead in the street, simply because the parent didn't want to "hurt" their child.

How about the parent who has more than one child? Let's say they go to Walmart, okay. The parent is taking a baby from a carseat and the older sibling simply can't stand still by mommy and wait. I'm sorry, but I have seen this several times and had a couple of little ones run out in front of my car. Should that child be swatted? IMHO....absolutely. Again, one needs to weigh the situation. Hurt now or dead/paralyzed later!

Should the parent have put extra locks on the door? Yep. Made sure the child could not get near the street? Yep. Should the older sibling have remained buckled before removing the infant from the carseat? Perhaps. Woulda, coulda, shoulda......point being...protecting your child is paramount, and speaking as an experienced parent, the greatest danger your child is in, is from your child's own actions. Sometimes, that swat on the butt is the kindest and most loving thing you can do for them. Parents just have to remember that it's not the answer to every situation and ALL situations do NOT warrant a spanking.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Nobody is. Sunflower is overreacting and doesn't even have kids. Maybe she was beaten, I don't know.

Funny how so many things, like spanking is so very bad now when most of us adults grew up with a spank from time to time and we are all ok.

Nobody knows yet the affect of passivity raising children is going to have on future generations starting with the one growing up right now (For those parents who think all they have to do is talk, talk, talk to kids.). My guess is they will grow up frustrated and confused and unable to reason and problem solve.
Throughout my lifetime, I have met several folks whose parents did not set boundaries....therefore, did not discipline. Those folks were bitter and hurt, and had no respect for their parents. They honestly felt like their parents simply did not care!....that they weren't "really" parents. A couple of them were amazed that they were alive and wondered why their parents ever had kids to begin with! Until my first encounter with one of these folks, I had never even considered that point of view.

I was raised with discipline...there were definite boundaries and limitations in my home and crossing those ended up in discipline...sometimes physical. In my fantasy world, I always thought it would be a perfect world... if my parents always trusted my judgement, and let me make my own decisions, AND simply said "oh well"...if I screwed up. How silly and unrealistic. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting