Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 03:55 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No...there really isn't. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a loud and happy child. He just may not belong in certain places. Nothing wrong with that. I have kids. If I am at Red Robin or someplace I expect noise and kids to some extent. OTOH, if I am at a "nicer" restaurant where adults reasonably expect to enjoy a quiet meal and hold an adult conversation, I really don't want to hear your child - even if he's happy. I'm glad he's happy, I'm glad you're happy. Now let me experience that same happiness. Get a sitter or put off those types of restaurants until your child is old enough to be happy quietly...
Blah, blah, blah is what I'm hearing. I also go with my husband to "nicer" restaurants. I am not bothered by a child's voice. At all. It's really quite pathetic that someone's child can ruin your experience of "happieness".

As far as getting as sitter, what do you think I was doing all this time? Did you not read my post? I stopped taking my son to restaurants.

In a "nicer" restaurant, how close am I supposed to sit to you for my kid to bother you? Usually the tables are not that close to each other. Secondly, what is with the glamour about "the quite adults" having a nice quite dinner? As I said, I may be very well annoyed with someone's voice next to me, should I have an opinion for this adult to stay home?

Old 02-10-2010, 03:59 PM

128 posts, read 243,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Yet it still sounds like that would mean everywhere except a cage in the basement to you.

Human brains take about 25 years to develop fully. Until then, kid's minds are not firing on all cylinders. Obviously, they should be taught manners and proper behavior, but it's an ongoing process that takes years.

It just isn't logical or natural to expect them to act like little adults; they don't have the mental faculties to do it. Besides, you only get to be a kid once; they have the rest of their lives to be forced to be miserable and stand in line with the rest of us adults.

Sometimes I wish it woud be still be thrilling to go run around the grocery store isles screaming and laughing too.
??? What's wrong with the PARK???

Just a few quotes ago in this same thread you said that your children behave like caffineated monkeys...WHY in the world should the rest of the public have to put up with that type of behavior in a public place??????

If you think it's cute that your children 'behave like monkeys', maybe you should take them to the zoo more often, but NOT a restraunt that is obviously not just for kids to act like fools....come on.
I have experienced unruly kids at a restraunt, and have been ran over by someone who can't even see past the grocery cart, and yes, I HAVE said something to the parent. Why is 'being a kid' any excuse to not have manners?
Yes, we only get to experience childhood for a short period of time, however, if kids don't learn how to behave in public places when they're young, when should they learn it?
I live in Utah, and yes, I have kids...two boys who will fight like the dickens sometimes, BUT NOT in public...and if they do, then one or the other, or both get sent out to the car, or I take them home and go back by myself.

I'm curious, how do your kids act in school?

Old 02-10-2010, 04:07 PM

550 posts, read 1,214,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
So the wife and I decided to go out for dinner tonight, and GASP!! we took our daughters too.. They are 2 and 3, and pretty well behaved, but no child is perfect all the time. Anyways, we had a mixed race, older couple sitting behind my wife and a few booths past them was another younger couple and 3 or 4 kids. The kids were noisy, mainly one of them.. The whole time, this woman sitting behind my wife kept whining about how that kid has something wrong with him and he belongs in a boxing ring, not in a restaurant, she can't believe that people would bring their kids out to a restaurant....

So why is it that people without children don't think those of us with children, should be allowed to take them out in public? If you are annoyed by it, go to an adult establishment and you won't have any worries.

This is the 2nd time someone has opened their mouth, and the last time it was an older (in his 50s) guy sitting across from us in a restaurant and I very politely told him that he was more than welcome to leave, he met that with a foul look and then left. But what is with people, chinese fortune cookie tonight said "if you never speak ill about people, you never have to whisper"
Well all these annoying and screaming kids are everywhere... I mean ok at Mcdonalds and those kinda places...Mcdonalds is for kids, but at "real" restaurants?

And then the damn parents who can sit with a kids that has its mouth screaming it's lungs out and they don't even flinch or try to see the reason behind the screaming?
It's not like there are noise-free compartments in trains etc...

"very politely told him he was welcome to leave" are you kidding me here? I would consider that very hostile no matter how much you sugar coat it. common sense says that those who can't behave should leave not those who get annoyed by those who can't.

There should be fines to pay for those that bring screamy toddlers to places that aren't specially for kids... high fines.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
Well all these annoying and screaming kids are everywhere... I mean ok at Mcdonalds and those kinda places...Mcdonalds is for kids, but at "real" restaurants?

And then the damn parents who can sit with a kids that has its mouth screaming it's lungs out and they don't even flinch or try to see the reason behind the screaming?
It's not like there are noise-free compartments in trains etc...

"very politely told him he was welcome to leave" are you kidding me here? I would consider that very hostile no matter how much you sugar coat it. common sense says that those who can't behave should leave not those who get annoyed by those who can't.

There should be fines to pay for those that bring screamy toddlers to places that aren't specially for kids... high fines.
The funny thing is - the OP thinks OTHER people are the problem, not his kids

The thread should be titled "what's wrong with some parents these days?"

Old 02-10-2010, 04:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
For the life of me I cannot comprehend what would make me think that complete strangers, paying for a quiet evening out should have to listen to my child. Of course I thought my kids were wonderful and special and that every sound they uttered was music to my ears. I did not expect that other's would feel this same way or that if they didn't they must be unhappy people. I don't go out to eat very often - especially to nice restaurants. I don't want to hear kids being loud or unruly. FTR, I also don't want to hear anyone talking on their cell phone either. Same with the movies. Same with church (there are cry-rooms for a reason). This doesn't make me an "unhappy" person for heaven's sake...

Old 02-10-2010, 05:08 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
There is in fact something terribly wrong with that picture, that a parent doesn't feel comfortable taking their child to a restaurant.
Not at all wrong. Traditionally, children, (even less so, unruly children), HAVE NOT been taken to restaurants. I trust tradition. It's an awfully efficient way to figure out what works and what does not work in life, in the very large scheme of things.

Your need to take noisy children to the restaurant and feel perfectly comfortable with it is historically new and hardly legitimate. People should not be forced to change time-tested values to fit a chaotic , un-pondered over and rushed-in new way of life with one million negative unintended consequences.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:10 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Not at all wrong. Traditionally, children, (even less so, unruly children), HAVE NOT been taken to restaurants. I trust tradition. It's an awfully efficient way to figure out what works and what does not work in life, in the very large scheme of things.

Your need to take noisy children to the restaurant and feel perfectly comfortable with it is historically new and hardly legitimate. People should not be forced to change time-tested values to fit a chaotic , un-pondered over and rushed-in new way of life with one million negative unintended consequences.
Traditionally? Which tradition is that? Eastern European? American? Yours? Just curious.
A link please. Sounds made up to me.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Well, here is my take on this.
When my husband and I go to a nice restaurant, we are so happy to be out, nothing can bother us. In all honesty, my husband and I are very much in love with each other and into each other so nothing can spoil our dinner. A bomb can blow up next to us, and I won't even notice it. Same when I'm out with my friends, we are so into a conversation, we don't pay attention to the outside.
The joy of dinner, the internal happieness starts from you, it starts on the inside. If something like a child's loud voice or scream or laughter bothers you, than you need to look inside yourself, really. You can only control your own actions, not the action of others.
When a couple goes out and places all the joy of that dinner on external influences, like the athmosphere has to be perfect, like the food has to be great and God forbid no child should be sitting next them, they are up for failure. Those are the type of people who are not joyful, don't see joy in other's joy and they may need to look inside their own lives a little bit.

I don't know, even before we had kids, neither my husband nor I were bothered by kids. I've lived in New York and we went to great Manhattan restaurants and we were just happy being together. A scream of a child wouldn't bother us. As I said, people love to *****, moan and complain and blame their discomfort on others, kids and their parents are just the easiest targets.
Well said! I couldn't agree more.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Those are the type of people who are not joyful, don't see joy in other's joy and they may need to look inside their own lives a little bit.
Nothing like the "blame the victim" mentality. "Just go fix yourself with a good dose of positive thinking". It is so much easier and efficient to alter the mind than do the right thing and fix what is WRONG IN REALITY, isn't it?

Gotta love this "Brave New World".

And all of you who dare to go out to restaurants without being in a state of "melting in your significant other's eyes" as a defense against any external noise or assaults, shame on you, unhappy B-ards!

Geee, this society HAS INDEED managed to produce a lot of carefully planned out lunacy. Whoever planned the end result, did an amazing job.

For the interested: check the documentary "Century of the Self".

Old 02-10-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Traditionally? Which tradition is that? Eastern European? American? Yours? Just curious.
A link please. Sounds made up to me.
See...I don't provide "links". I prefer good sense topped with a heavy dose of discernment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting