Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,336,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Being valued as a person as we all should be, is different than making a valuable contribution. If my kids don't clean their rooms, no one goes hungry. If kids 100 years ago didn't milk the cow, you had no milk and the cow was in pain. There is a HUGE difference in our children's contributions now and then.

There is nothing wrong with my parenting strategies. This is a simple statement of fact.

The question is what can be done to change it at this point? In this modern society we can go ahead and buy the milk in the store. Will our children only feel valuable once they start contributing financially to their own survival?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 06:15 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,207,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Being valued as a person as we all should be, is different than making a valuable contribution. If my kids don't clean their rooms, no one goes hungry. If kids 100 years ago didn't milk the cow, you had no milk and the cow was in pain. There is a HUGE difference in our children's contributions now and then.

There is nothing wrong with my parenting strategies. This is a simple statement of fact.
Well, you're the one voicing conern about them in at least two threads, and asking for advice, which you're getting from many.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:05 AM

6,066 posts, read 14,996,827 times
My son took care of a huge nasty spider this morning. Spiders freak me out big-time. Can't deal with them. 6am and he was already contributing to his mother's happiness and well-being! He may not be out milking cows (not that we have any... or need any... we live across the street from a really nice natural foods store where we buy locally produced organic milk from a family-owned farm in glass returnable bottles...) but he sure does do things for his family every day! (Some of which he only does because his mom's a big wimp when it comes to nasty bugs!)

This thread has gone so off-topic. I'm really surprised it hasn't closed yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting