Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 06:26 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Suzy, do you need help learning how to use the quote function? It would make your responses much easier to read and respond to.
That's OK. I know how. The other way seems to be used by other posters fairly often, but I'll do it this way to make it easier for you.

Quote:
So groups such as the WHALE, Generation Rescue, DAN and others are all in it because they want to feel important? For the most part these groups are mocked and ridiculed. I don't buy it.
Obviously I cannot speak to the motivation of anyone besides myself. I do not comprehend the motivation of the rabid anti-vaxers. Since there is no scientific support for the extreme positions, I can only deduce that they get satisfaction from being in the limelight and being able to influence the opinions of others. Unfortunately they spew a lot of misinformation. Why does WHALE have the quotation I mentioned above on its home page? If the quote is true, why not tell us when and where it was said? Why is it attributed to two different men? To me it is bogus, and why should I trust anything they say when there is a lie on the first page of the site --- a lie designed to give a scientific flavor to the proceedings. A prominent virologist says vaccines are bad for children. Will other readers look up the quote and find out that this prominent virologist was either dead when he made the statement that, "There is a great deal of evidence to prove that immunization of children does more harm than good." or that the man who made the statement was not a virologist at all and probably unqualified to be making such a statement? Was it the man at the NIH that said it or the man at the FDA or neither? By frightening people away from vaccines, they do harm, potentially great harm.

Quote:
Naturopathy is a legitimate field. A naturopath would never claim to be able to or even try to prevent people from contracting an illness such as chickenpox. They would recommend ways to boost the immune system, deal with the symptoms and ways to help the body fight off the illness and reduce the risk of complications.
There's the problem. None of the things they recommend are going to "boost the immune system". There are no "immune system boosters". They do not exist. And the whole idea of vaccines is to prevent illness. You can eat a perfect diet, exercise regularly, take all the vitamins and supplements you want to pay for, and still catch a disease that could be prevented with a vaccine.

Quote:
Or maybe they became aware of other factors involved that made them change their thinking. Some of the physicians, scientists and researchers who have spoken out against vaccination have been highly respected and leaders in their fields.
Actually, physicians have contributed to problems around the world by objecting to vaccination, including the pertussis problem. See here: http://www.fcs.uga.edu/cfd/cdl/docs/...exemptions.pdf . Note that one of the "researchers" who was part of the problem in Australia, Dr. Veira Scheibner, is not even a medical researcher; she's a geologist who dropped out of medical school. Some of the physicians had legitimate concerns that turned out not to be justified. But vaccination rates went down and people got sick. Some died.

Quote:
I don't have any doubt in my mind that there is a genetic component to autism. I also believe that in some (not all ) cases of autism there is an environmental trigger and I believe that vaccines could possibly be one such trigger (among others). If a parent has a child who is developing perfectly normally, is talking and walking and reaching all milestones on time suddenly develops a fever after a vaccination and goes down quickly from there, stops taking, stops walking, develops digestive problems, screams in pain, stops sleeping, etc. I don't see how anyone can dismiss the possibility of a vaccine reaction.
All I can say to this is to reiterate that because event A precedes event X, it does not mean that event A caused event X. The studies do not support a cause and effect relationship between giving a vaccine and autism.

Quote:
Not much and the money comes from the government, not the vaccine makers themselves.

Nope, the funding comes from an excise tax on each dose of vaccine. The person receiving the vaccine ends up paying it in one form or another: HRSA - National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/VIC_Trust_Fund.htm - broken link)
Are there bad reactions to vaccines? Yes, but they are extremely uncommon, and autism is not a vaccine reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 06:33 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Andrew Wakefield absolutely DID fake his data....so any conclusions about the combined vaccine versus single dosing are meaningless...

MMR does NOT cause autism...plain and simple...

Wakefield is a fraud....plain and simple...

Not a smear campaign....the truth.

He also DID have an alternate vaccine in the works and he was paid IN ADVANCE of his study to attack the MMR

From the investigative reporter who helped unmask this landmark case of research fraud:

Andrew Wakefield research fraud exposed: the MMR investigation

You beat me to it! Until now I was not aware how awful Wakefield's activities were.

And he did it because he planned to make a fortune.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
According to the first link, the growth is being funded directly by government grants to develop new vaccines and new technology making production cheaper. It also extolls the virtue of vaccines.

The second link speaks about the increase in vaccines among the older population (Gardisil in particular) as increasing the revenue from vaccines significantly. It mentions that pediatric vaccines are expected to remain flat. Not to mention it's a free press site with numerous spelling errors in the "article" and refers to Europe as a "country".

The third article talks about the boost of revenue to drug companies primarily centered around the development of the H1N1 vaccine. It also goes on to make the same comments that the first article did regarding much of the increased investment being generated by government spending in the form of research grants and purchases of vaccines.

Nice try, but the fact remains that it is a low margin sector of the business and current investment is being driven by government spending because the pharma companies were not investing in the sector. Also, the growth is in flu/pandemic disease vaccines and vaccines for the older population, not for infants/children.

My question remains, why do all of these groups push vaccines so strongly? What is their motivator? Hint: It's NOT money.
sure is ...that and ignorance

Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
sure is ...that and ignorance
Prove it.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:24 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Just out of curiosity, what would be the anti-vax groups motivation for making up stories about vax reactions or vaccines in general? Do groups such as WHALE or people like Jenny Mc Carthy profit if people skip their immunizations? What is their motivation for existing and speaking out?
Let's see.

What's his face was involved in (and moneyed up in) producing separate vaccines. He had HUGE reasons.

Jenny McCarthy peeing on a toilet...and who REALLY cares what "celebumorons" promote? Do you listen to the celebumoron who vaxes her kids?

And you should read her book. Or at least a few "free" excerpts from it....cuz girlfriend is as stooopid as she looks!

Jenny, at her "finest":

Quote:
I do believe sadly it's going to take some diseases coming back to realize that we need to change and develop vaccines that are safe. If the vaccine companies are not listening to us, it's their f___ing fault that the diseases are coming back. They're making a product that's s___. If you give us a safe vaccine, we'll use it. It shouldn't be polio versus autism.
I guess the silicone has gone, literally, to her head.

The rest (including stoopid Jenny)? What are they selling? From books to injections to back adjustments to supplements, to a bridge in Montana to some tea that will make you young forever...

Last edited by Informed Info; 10-20-2010 at 11:36 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Prove it.
disprove it

Old 10-22-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Im not sure I can believe you, your grammar is out of control.
if I take grammar lessons, will you believe me?

Old 10-22-2010, 09:03 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Stupid tv show and it's holywood docter. pharmaceutical companies make wwwwwaaaayyyy more off of vaccinated people who's immune systems have become so compromised from all the vaccine additives they've injected. Unvaccinated children alnost NEVER get ill, and when they do, they recover faster....OOOOYah
Prove it.

Because there's a few thousand years of history that argues otherwise. Huge infant mortality rates were the norm until vaccination. Even today thousands of babies and children die in India because they don't have access to the MMR vaccine.

The unvaccinated are far more likely to contract whooping cough as I pointed out to you in a prior thread:

Vaccine Refusal Increases Risk for Pertussis in Unvaccinated Children - Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine

FYI, Andrew Wakefield patented his own version of the MMR vaccine that was allegedly safer. The people at Safe Minds want to sue pharmaceutical companies. Whale to is an insane website that argues that the world is controlled by Jews and Lizard Kings. Many other anti-vaxxers repeatedly argue that they should be compensated to the tune of millions for alleged vaccine injury. Worse, they go to practitioners who charge them hundreds of dollars for quackery like homeopathy and chelation therapy that simply does not work.

The big money is not in vaccines. The big money is in anti-vax quackery and the nonsensical and ineffective products pushed by the loons. You get to fool sad gullible people who believe in such nonsense rather than safe, low cost vaccines.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:30 AM

useless site...the big money is in vaccines, and then all the colds, and flues, asthma, diabetes, and countless other auto-immune diseases and cancers that they cause.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:23 AM

http://www.cure-guide.com/Vaccine_Gu...from_vacc.html Immune system damage from vaccines (http://www.cure-guide.com/Vaccine_Guide/Vaccine_articles/Immune_system_damage_from_vacc/immune_system_damage_from_vacc.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting