Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:01 PM

86 posts, read 288,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
My daughter is 7 but I have noticed that now that the weather is warming up and she is running around a lot more, she's definitely got B.O. It seems VERY early to start her on deodorant, but obviously her body is making odors that indicate it's time for deodorant. Yes, she showers regularly and I'm not just being overly sensitive. When we were at the store today, I noticed they had "teen" deodorant but I'm not sure if there is less potentially harmful ingredients or if it's just a marketing gimmick.

BTW, I don't want to get into a discussion of side effects from deodorant. I know there is some questionable stuff in there, but the point of my post is to see if other people's younger kids wear deodorant and if this is "normal" (I hate that word). I did mention it to her pediatrician who didn't seem surprised or wanting to run tests to check her hormone levels. She said that kids are developing earlier than ever (especially girls) but I am just looking for some advice on what has worked for others and possibly some deodorant product advice. Thanks!
My son is 7 and just started wearing it. He doesn't use it everyday-only on days where I know he'll be very active outdoors. I got him right guard...I didnt see any "teen or kid" deodorants. I haven't discussed it with the pediatrician and haven't seen any side affects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 12:05 AM

197 posts, read 547,339 times
if a child has under arm bo regarless of age deoderant is in need...some people sweat more then others. I know in the third grade in the 70's many students were using deoderant both boys and girls. Also check with your doctor for other remedies or botox injections if that may be a course of action......botox is use for excessive sweating

Old 11-03-2012, 04:06 PM

13 posts, read 26,740 times
Milk of Magnesia works great as a deodorant. I read about this I think in the Dr. Oz column a few years ago.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:43 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,417,401 times
I think if they smell of BO, it is time for them to start on deodorant. My daughter is 9 and uses deodorant after she showers and has used it for awhile now. You don't want them walking around reeking.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,796,869 times
baking soda paste works well as deodorant also. It's environmentally safe and very inexpensive. Works as well or better than regular deodorants.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:41 AM

34 posts, read 49,083 times
It's hard not to think, that this has to do, somewhat with marketing, I mean, for under 10-11(7-8-9) year old using deodorant.No?Besides the obvious problems some kids have.How early is too early?

Old 11-04-2012, 04:11 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,417,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKate View Post
It's hard not to think, that this has to do, somewhat with marketing, I mean, for under 10-11(7-8-9) year old using deodorant.No?Besides the obvious problems some kids have.How early is too early?
I don't think any of us would have any desire to see their child starting puberty at 7,8,9, but if that is what is happening and because of that they are getting BO, there isn't much you can do about it other than make sure they stay clean and use deodorant.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:14 PM

34 posts, read 49,083 times
IDK..it seems too early even if there is moderate BO.Nothing shower can't fix at that age...thats all..I have 9 y old that has entered into puberty this year...

Old 10-08-2018, 10:57 AM

38 posts, read 43,915 times
My 6-year-old daughter also has BO under her arms at times (it started at 5 years). I am worried she might be experiencing precocious puberty, which I think happened to me as it leads to a shorter height. My mother is 5'6 and my dad is 5'11, yet I barely make 5'0. I did seek advice from my pediatrician who does not think the body order is necessarily a sign. However, the doctor suggested I have an x-ray done of her hand, which can confirm whether she is entering puberty. I have also read that garlic and onions can make children smell. My daughter likes a particular brand of chicken nuggets, which I can almost confirm correlate to her smell. So if she eats them on PE or very physically active day she will tend to smell that day.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:29 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,603,768 times
If you were smart, you'd get a non-toxic deodorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting