Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:43 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2u View Post
One thing I will say and if you spend any time reading past posts many PA natives resent the fact that people from Maryland, New York and New Jersey are moving to PA for cheaper housing/taxes. They don't like the McMansions, the strip malls, the decline of available farmland and the overall invasion of outsiders threatening their way of life. It may take a minute for folks to warm up to you, but it will happen. I'd advise you to visit a few times before making any final decisions on relocating. Just my $.02.
I think generally, its more of a dislike of moving here for the purpose of the cheaper living, while still working in maryland. If you move here because you got a job here, then there isn't nearly as much of a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 12:03 PM

263 posts, read 1,097,049 times
I really don't understand why it makes a difference what people's reasons are for moving here, as long as they are legal. And as far as I know, if you're a US citizen, it's legal to move to another state for a lower cost of living.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:36 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2u View Post
I live in Manchester Township and I'm also black. I can't speak much on the school district because I don't have kids. As far as racism and diversity - blacks are definitely the minority in York. As someone else mentioned, the majority of blacks and hispanics live in York City, as do a number of whites. York City does have its share of crime and if you don't have to live there, don't. I moved here from the DC area so the lack of diversity has been a problem for me. However, with that said everyone I've met here has been really nice. York is just not the place I could foresee putting down long term roots. Seems like a great place to raise children and the younger generation doesn't seem to be as closed-minded as maybe the older generation. One thing I will say and if you spend any time reading past posts many PA natives resent the fact that people from Maryland, New York and New Jersey are moving to PA for cheaper housing/taxes. They don't like the McMansions, the strip malls, the decline of available farmland and the overall invasion of outsiders threatening their way of life. It may take a minute for folks to warm up to you, but it will happen. I'd advise you to visit a few times before making any final decisions on relocating. Just my $.02.

talk2u, I think your observations are worth a great deal more than 2 pennies!

If a person is conditioned to urban culture, it may be difficult for them to spend their remaining years in York. However, I am *very* pleased and encouraged to see that you have had a generally positive experience there.

You are right about all the York addresses. It depends on where the local post office may be. Dallastown, Red Lion, Dover, Stewartstown, Shrewsbury, Delta, etc. have their own based on the old boroughs. The townships are usually included in the post office of the closest borough. It's those zip codes that tell you what area of the York burbs you may be in.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuinelymi View Post
I am considering moving to York, PA...I am originally from philadelphia but I live in south jersey. My fiance lives in baltimore, md and we are looking to purchase a home in York. Not that race matters to me much, I have always lived in a mixed community but we are African American and Absolutely clueless of the environment. I am not concerned about me and him but our children and the school district is very important to us. We are looking for a single family home and want to stay in the suburban areas of York. Any suggestions of what areas we should look into. Up and coming towns? All I need is a Walmart, Target, market.....lol...I am only 30 but no into the club scene, stay to myself, occasional shopping. Please let me know.

One more thing, the Job industry? My fiance is an addictions counselor getting his degree in social work and I am a cosmetologist and I currently am a sales rep for comcast.
What other surrounding towns should I be looking at as far as job hunting that is close to York?

I know its alot of questions but alot to consider as well if we do start looking.
I would appreciate anyones input...
Thanks

genuinelymi, Try to visit the area and get a feel for the geography first. Lancaster to Baltimore would not be a pleasant drive. Living closer to the I83
corridor in York County would be much easier for the daily commute.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:55 PM

9 posts, read 70,097 times
Thanks Rockky I will do. At first it would be good to stay close to I83, I think my fiance would like that considering he may have a more difficult time finding a job right away in that area. Me on the other hand, im sure I will find something in due time. My main concern in the school systems. I have not a clue about York. I live in south jersey and the school system that they attend is excellent. Once I know where the best school systems are then I know where I need to start looking for a home. Looking online I see alot of up and coming developments with beautiful homes but dont know if they are in the not so go areas. If you have anyother info I would appreciate it all...

Old 09-28-2007, 04:02 AM

genuinelymi, As a general observation, the schools in York County are good. Some better than others. Dallastown and York Suburban have high ratings. I have no idea how they may compare to your current experience in New Jersey.

Just as in all urban areas, the York City Schools have issues.

Here is a list of schools in York County. Perhaps you could begin by looking over their web pages and doing a search for other info on them.

Central York SD - Just north of the city. Along 83

Dallastown Area SD - South east of city. Along 83

Dover Area SD - North west of city. Along/near 83

Eastern York SD - Extreme east side of county along Susquehanna River.

Hanover Public SD - South west end of county...more of an urban district...although Hanover is very rural itself.

Lincoln-Edison CS - Charter in the city.

Northeastern York SD - North eastern end of county...I think some of it border 83.

Northern York County SD - Guess what! Northern end of county.

Red Lion Area SD - South eastern end of county just below and behind Dallastown. Largest district geographically in York Co. Areas near 83

South Eastern SD - Extreme south east end of county. Some of it very near 83.

South Western SD - The Hanover suburban area.

Southern York County SD - Yep...southern end of county. mid county 83 easy

Spring Grove Area SD - Western end of county

West York Area SD - Just west of the city. Some areas near 83

York City SD - Urban area of York.

York County School of Technology - The local VoTech. Sits within the York Suburban/Dallastown corridor

York Suburban SD - Just a bit south east of York City. Along 83

Hope this gives you a start with the school search!! Best wishes!

Last edited by rockky; 09-28-2007 at 04:14 AM..

Old 09-28-2007, 04:32 AM

Check out this PA Dept. of Ed site....scan wayyyyy down to York County Schools.

List of Schools by District and County

I just looked at it again. The info is rather old, but it's a start.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:31 AM

9 posts, read 70,097 times
Rockky, you went the whole nine yards thank you....I will start researching all the districts..You have made my job a little easier(smile). My fiance just informed me that in addition to regular taxes that if we have children and moving from out of state that we pay additional taxes as well? Do you know where I would look to find more info on that? If no, thats okay you have given me plenty of info already and I thank you again...you guys are great

Old 09-28-2007, 08:34 AM

263 posts, read 1,097,049 times
Everyone pays the additional school tax, even if you've always lived in PA or don't have children in the school system. The amount of school tax you pay is based on your school district (could be higher in some areas than others). Here are some places to start:

York County PA Government

PA PowerPort

Pennsylvania Department of Revenue

Old 09-28-2007, 10:28 AM

Yep. talk2u has given you some good links.

I don't know anything about an out-of-state extra tax for families with children. As was mentioned, each individual school district sets their own millage rate. They use the millage rate and the assessed value of your home to compute your taxes. There are two different taxes. One for the local area is usually due in the spring and the larger school tax at the end of the summer. County and state taxes are based on income and are due with federal taxes. I hope I have all that right. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Try this site..

Millage Rates for York County, PA : ROCK Commercial Real Estate, York Pa, ROCK Commercial Real Estate Listings, ROCK Commercial Real Estate Agents, ROCK Real Estate

This is showing you the breakdown by municipality. For example, West Manchester Twp. is in West York School District. When you find a property that you find interesting, you will learn the municipality and school district. The site may help you to do comparisons.

Here ya go.....this shows a small map of both school districts and municipalities.

York County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania