Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2006, 07:44 PM

98 posts, read 434,325 times

Advertisements

If it's a college town there has to be rentals.

Contact a Real estate Office they do handle rentals as well. I use to take care of that here in the Poconos back in the 80's. We always have second homes up for rent during Ski Season.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 07:57 PM

98 posts, read 434,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrdeaton View Post
hahaha! i love davy jones!!!! im doing it!!!
Years ago when I first heard he lived there I sent him a Christmas Card.

By George! A few months down the road I get a manilla envelope in the mail and low and behold he sends me a photo. BUt no autogrpah..

He certainly gave me the impression he cared..

My husband and I were in California in June and happen to go to Delmar's Fair.. Turns out our good luck Davy was doing 2 free shows that afternoon.

We caught the end of the first and came back for the second..

I found it ironic he once lived in California and ended up in Pa.
BY the way I did not like California.. Just a different lifestyle from the slow pace we have here.

Last, I grew up going to Knobels! Love that place- it is the only park I know of that has not changed into a Mega=price admission park ! They still have grass and trees..

Old 10-03-2006, 09:01 PM

203 posts, read 1,256,153 times
http://www.bowenagency.com/links.htm (broken link)

the daily item is the main paper.

yes- there are some rentals. 17870 i the BEST zip code in Snyder COunty. Lewisburg is nice too.

Isle of Q is between Penns creek and the river. there are 4+ thrift stores and they have been very good this year.

walmart- giant- sheetz all 24 hours-

dreeses farmstand is on 11-15 north of the mcdonalds. near dollar general. dollar tree in the mall. lowes is here too.

there is a bulk store market and 3rd sunbury. i love to shop there.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:04 PM

http://www.bloomu.edu/ <--over 65 can take clases for free here if there is room.

http://www.dailyitem.com <--newspaper

Old 11-06-2006, 08:23 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
Default Selinsgrove

I think you can't go wrong with Selinsgrove, or the surrounding communites that feed into Selinsgrove schools. Some of these include Kratzerville (where I actually live), Shamokin Dam (where the Kmart and Hoss's are), and Hummels Wharf (also known as Monroe Township - where the mall and Scheetz are).

There are definitely rental properties available. You can check the links to the local newspaper (which has a rental section every day, I believe) and you can also check with local realtors, which include ERA, ReMax, and other big names.

As an independent transcriptionist I type the minutes for the meetings of several organizations in Selinsgrove. I am VERY excited about the positive changes that are coming up in the Borough. Some of these include an improved boat launch facility on the Isle of Que, the reopening of the community ice skating rink, a fitness trail that was added at the town park/playground, and the beginning of a Main Street Manager program to improve the downtown (which is quaint and cute as is, but could use some "oomph").

The schools are fantastic and crime is low. As with any rural area on the "pipeline" between Harrisburg and Williamsport, there are some drug issues, but it's not an "in-your-face" problem. Most of the crime that you'll hear about involves college students who live off campus - parties, drunkenness, disturbances at night, even a few rapes recently, but they were all college-related. The Borough police are efficient and very good at their jobs. They have help when needed from surrounding communities, and the Selinsgrove State Police are just outside of town.

Just be sure when you find a rental that it's not within the "student zone".

Transportation in the area will be improved within the next ten years or so as a new thruway is being built to connect Route 147 to Route 15. It will bypass "the strip" (where the restaurants and stores are), which will cut down on congestion. Our area is growing, with new stores coming soon and new restaurants springing up all the time.

The climate is usually humid, summer and winter. We have hazy summer days and cold, damp winter days. Our snowfall lately has been below average, but that can change at any time. Rainfall is about average, but be careful if you locate near a stream, creek or river. Find out about flooding before committing to anything.

This is a growing and exciting area to be in, now and in the future.

In my opinion, Selinsgrove is the place to be!!

Old 11-08-2006, 06:36 PM

I like it here in Selinsgrove. It is a pleasant small town.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:59 AM

Oh man. Fatal crash at windfield. So I took the alternet route. Some trucker did not like my driving- we exchanged fingers. Everyone knows Norry is a speed trap. This nut tried to run me off the road! I had my cell phone on me- but 911 would be busy with the fatality. So then the road we were on came to a slowness and stopped. Listen up- people have been KILLED where 405 Ts with 147!

I will be placing a call to the PD today over this.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:45 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
My husband drives through Norry every day and then to Danville, Bloomsburg and beyond. He can't believe the way people drive. They're always flying around him - especially the women he assumes to be nurses on their way to Geisinger. He had to detour around the crash on his way home yesterday - went into Lewisburg and back down to Selinsgrove.

It doesn't matter where you live - if people drive with their heads up their you-know-whats, talk on their cell phones, eat and drink, put on makeup, shave, drive aggresively, etc. - there's bound to be accidents.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:16 AM

for some reason yesderday was very bad. i love it here...but things are changing. there was a crash on both 15 and teh alternate 147. quite a mess. norry bottlenecks with the breaze.

it is nice being 5 minutes from shopping- i lived on rt 54 near truboville for a year- one had to plan errands.

the roads in PA are poorly designed..

Old 11-11-2006, 08:09 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,055 times
I had to take a trip to Haines last evening which meant I had to contend with Friday traffic on the 'Strip.' Even though I had to drive only 1/2 mile, it was traumatic. People drive like a bunch of wackos and can be very inconsiderate to other drivers.

We have an imperative and tremendous need for the bypass, but the politicians consider a 25 billion dollar bridge in Alaska which will serve only 50 people to be much more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania