Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:00 AM

65 posts, read 227,399 times

Advertisements

My hands are dirty - meaning that I am still sweeping.
Also, I work part time for a tree service. Just promoted myself to Branch Manager - I drag the branches to the chipper.

Both are physical jobs which is good exercise.

The EMS is sporadic since I am now a volunteer firefighter.
Over Thanksgiving I was on duty at the fire station from Wednesday a 7 p.m. until Friday at 7 a.m.
NO CALLS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 10:51 AM

49 posts, read 233,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Gift View Post
My hands are dirty - meaning that I am still sweeping.
Also, I work part time for a tree service. Just promoted myself to Branch Manager - I drag the branches to the chipper.

Both are physical jobs which is good exercise.

The EMS is sporadic since I am now a volunteer firefighter.
Over Thanksgiving I was on duty at the fire station from Wednesday a 7 p.m. until Friday at 7 a.m.
NO CALLS!
I just love your posts. You are so funny about all things. "branch manager" lol lol. I have been there and done that.

Last fall we removed all the parts of a house that was being torn down. A lot of the things would have made a large storage shed. Trellises, 4x6 10 ft boards, old bead board flooring, 4x4's, a long picnic table with attached wall bench, long front bench and a short end bench, (we kept all the picnic table pieces). 35 sheets of 3/4" plywood (we kept that), and siding that we kept. Most everything else went because he found some activity of bugs in a pile of the boards so anything in that area went.

We ended up moving all that stuff, I was the hauler while my husband tore down, from the mountain to the driveway, unloaded and moved it to the back of the yard, moved some again, and last we moved it again to the big wagon and took it to the fire pit on the other side of town. I think my husband said I moved things 6 times!! And we no longer have it. Talk about good exercise!!

I do tree trimming and do the trimming of all the bushes. My husband said I cut too much off but everything comes back really nice. So I say if it works I'll do it. The only thing was our lilac bush that was removed from it's home when we moved this home in and it didn't find another home for a while and was looking very ugly. I trimmed it back because I thought it would die trying to keep the dead ends alive. It is starting now to get the spring buds on it and it will be loaded. I have a couple lilacs, 2 I planted and 1 that grew under the sidewalk to the other flower bed and he was from the mom plant I had to cut back. It will be really nice when it grows up. I found it last spring and it is already 3' high.

Keep your stories coming! Love them!

Old 12-20-2006, 04:30 PM

33 posts, read 135,029 times
I was born in Lewistown! I love the area, with State College and PSU being just over the mountian. Everyone is so friendly.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraferg View Post
I was born in Lewistown! I love the area, with State College and PSU being just over the mountian. Everyone is so friendly.
Hi Laura,
Do you remember the curfew horn?
It was also the fire horn which notified volunteer firefighters of a call.

In the late 50s to early 60s, (when I heard it while visiting my grandmother on the west side of Pennebaker Ave about 4 residences south of Walnut) it sounded so strange.

Thank you,

Robert

Old 12-26-2006, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Gift View Post
Joined 11-10-2006
Love to read from anyone in Lewistown.

As a child, 1955 to 1965, we visited my father's parents, Ross Gift, in their narrow two-story townhouse on Pennybaker Avenue.

I recall the evening curfew horn which was also the fire call for volunteer firefighters.
It used to scare me.
Anyone know anything about it?
Does it still operate?

Also, do any trains still run down the middle of the street?
North end of town I used to watch one cross near Pennybaker Ave, under the overpass, and cross a long trestle over the river heading north. My sister and I crossed that trestle being frightened looking down at the river through the ties.

I used to roam the area picking up soft drink bottles to return for 2 cents each!

Thank you,

Robert Gift
Robert
hi I'm from McVeytown--grew up in Lewistown..No the train don't run through there no more and they stopped the fire whistle blowing at 10.00 in the 1970's.,yes i know about Lewistown.i grew up there
Janet Harshbarger
sunflowers1225@verizon.net

Old 12-27-2006, 11:59 AM

69 posts, read 252,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowers1225 View Post
Robert
hi I'm from McVeytown--grew up in Lewistown..No the train don't run through there no more and they stopped the fire whistle blowing at 10.00 in the 1970's.,yes i know about Lewistown.i grew up there
Janet Harshbarger
sunflowers1225@verizon.net
Sorry sunflower, but the train does still run through there on it's way to Standard Steel works in Burnham!

Old 12-31-2006, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,739 times
Sherrijean981

I just happened upon the city directory web site and looked at the photos you had posted. The photo image ending 920 is a photo of the building which at one time was the local Boy Scout Office. Back in the late 50's and early 60's; I use to get paid $.75 an hour to shovel SNOW off that sidewalk every time it snowed.

FWarntz@carolina.rr.com

Old 12-31-2006, 09:34 AM

Looks like a nursing home, now.

In Pittsburgh, I don't think I was paid that much per hour.
But we were paid by the job.

Did you ever hear Lewistown's curfew horn sound?

Does rr in your eddress stand for railroad?

Now I must go outside and finish shoveling our driveway and part of the sidewalk I did not get to yesterday.
Denver sky is crystal clear and bright.
54 F. inside our house. We have electric blankets.

Thank you,

Old 01-01-2007, 11:03 PM

49 posts, read 233,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartz6969 View Post
Sherrijean981

I just happened upon the city directory web site and looked at the photos you had posted. The photo image ending 920 is a photo of the building which at one time was the local Boy Scout Office. Back in the late 50's and early 60's; I use to get paid $.75 an hour to shovel SNOW off that sidewalk every time it snowed.

FWarntz@carolina.rr.com

This picture is the Mifflin County Library in Lewistown. The name F Warntz in the email address was interesting. I was married by a Rev. Warntz from the Burnham Evangilical Church on Freedom Ave, I think the 500 or 600 block? any relation?

Old 09-05-2007, 11:50 AM

30 posts, read 115,956 times
Hey Robert, I just came across this thread and it was a good read and some nice pics that were sent your way. I live in Lewistown and have all of my life. The curfew horn does sound every night still at 10PM exactly; I'll try to catch it tonight or tomorrow and post it as an mp3 for you to listen to.

Anything else you'd like to see pics of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania