Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2017, 01:36 PM

9,343 posts, read 13,010,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Like wise, I don't understand where the hate, marginalizing, and degrading of Pittsburgh that comes from Philly Boosters, like Pittsburgh doesn't compete at all. When ALL evidence says Pittsburgh has just as good if not better chance of landing Amazon.

I don't hate Philly. I hate the Cocky Philly Booster (We're better than you) mentality that radiates throughout this forum. When most Philly boosters don't even understand really what's even going on here ....

I know it will **** off the Philly boosters (some will even consider it an illegitimate win) if Pittsburgh makes it further than Philadelphia. They wont give Pittsburgh its credit for being the better city, it will be some type of conspiracy against Philadelphia, that Pittsburgh won. [bWPhiladelphia is a very bitter, jaded, and envious city, they still try to think of Pittsburgh as being a dying backwater rust-belt hellscape.[/b]
Truth be told, aside from certain sports rivalries, most Philadelphians seldom think of PGH at all (and I know the same is true for PGH and Philly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 01:42 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Like wise, I don't understand where the hate, marginalizing, and degrading of Pittsburgh that comes from Philly Boosters, like Pittsburgh doesn't compete at all. When ALL evidence says Pittsburgh has just as good if not better chance of landing Amazon.

I don't hate Philly. I hate the Cocky Philly Booster (We're better than you) mentality that radiates throughout this forum. When most Philly boosters don't even understand really what's even going on here ....

I know it will **** off the Philly boosters (some will even consider it an illegitimate win) if Pittsburgh makes it further than Philadelphia. They wont give Pittsburgh its credit for being the better city, it will be some type of conspiracy against Philadelphia, that Pittsburgh won. Philadelphia is a very bitter, jaded, and envious city, they still try to think of Pittsburgh as being a dying backwater rust-belt hellscape.
You didn't even remotely answer my question.... I'm done.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:30 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Truth be told, aside from certain sports rivalries, most Philadelphians seldom think of PGH at all (and I know the same is true for PGH and Philly).
Not True on here though

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
You didn't even remotely answer my question.... I'm done.
What would I do if Philly were win .... One be SHOCKED, then eat my crow gracefully .... IF Philly won, or even lasted longer than Pittsburgh in this process.

Quote:
City hires Maya to help lure Amazon HQ to Pittsburgh

"“We’re going to swing for the fences for this opportunity,” said Acklin. “We think we’re already on the shortlist of Amazon for all the things that are happening here.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...zon-hq-to.html
again Pittsburgh is moving fast here, what's Philly doing?

I've searched but haven't seen anything from Philly officials about next steps since Kenney's "We look forward to submitting a proposal" tweet.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 09-14-2017 at 02:39 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 02:36 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Same for Pittsburgh. Philadelphia is not on our minds at all. Who has time for that?

Old 09-14-2017, 02:47 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Like I said upthread its just a gut feeling, that Wolf and state leaders are secretly pushing Pittsburgh.

Quote:
No brotherly love lost between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia when it comes to competing for Amazon HQ2

In the middle of one of the busiest legislative workdays in the Capitol this week, a group of state senators – including the chamber’s ranking Republican and Democrat – wrote Gov. Tom Wolf letters with a not-so-subtle message: Pick Pittsburgh.

Allegheny County’s top executive has already reached out to the governor too.

Before Philadelphia can take on the rest of the country in a bid to land Amazon’s new headquarters, it must first edge out its rival in the West. The cities tangle over everything from who has the best sports teams to the relative merits of their respective gut-blasting sandwiches, and are destined to collide over one of the nation’s biggest economic development prizes in years. Pittsburgh is not going down without a fight.

No brotherly love lost between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia when it comes to competing for Amazon HQ2 | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 09-14-2017, 02:54 PM

9,343 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Not True on here though
Well of course, but we're all the weirdos who are far more interested, and emotionally invested, in these sorts of things.

I hadn't been to Pittsburgh until I committed to Pitt in Spring 2007, but I envisioned the city as a fun and up-and-coming place. Since I don't come from a sports family, Pittsburgh was viewed in neutral to mildly positive terms. My dad sometimes went there for business and had nice things to say about it. I don't know if my mom ever visited there, but she would always remind me, "it's America's most livable city!"

I also knew that unless I was accepted to Penn State's Schreyer's Honors College, which is more selective than Pitt's honors college even though Pitt is a more selective university overall, I was staying far the hell away from my other safety school, with the ginormous size and the huge sports culture and the hella hivemind type school spirit.

I'm anchored to Philly at this point and am satisfied with that fact, but as far as my favorite cities are concerned, it only edges out PGH by the slightest bit. There are plenty of things about PGH that I like more than Philly, and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Same for Pittsburgh. Philadelphia is not on our minds at all. Who has time for that?
I couldn't agree more, which is why I mentioned that in my post.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:56 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Quote:
What would I do if Philly were win .... One be SHOCKED, then eat my crow gracefully .... IF Philly won, or even lasted longer than Pittsburgh in this process.
That's all fine and good, but would you be happy, or angry?

Old 09-14-2017, 06:26 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
One more time, care for a friendly PayPal bet? I'm serious here, no Bull. 100$

You - Philly

Me - Pittsburgh

Who makes it the farthest in Amazon consideration.
It's literally not worth my time to log onto PayPal to place a $100 bet.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:50 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I am just speculating here, but what if Amazon really wanted to eventually consolidate into one North American HQ, and that was the real reason for the search. Why would they panic everyone in Seattle, and say they wanted to relo the HQ? In that case Denver would be the logical choice. This may be their hidden agenda. Those sneaky corporate weasels! Then again, I could be TOTALLY wrong!
Sort of agree... I think they already know where they are going. So what was the point of this stunt wrt teasing other cities?

Old 09-14-2017, 08:54 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
It's literally not worth my time to log onto PayPal to place a $100 bet.
It's stupid and childish. I mean who would do this? Lol. It's not coming to PA. Bezos does not want deal with the regressives in Harrisburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania