Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2007, 01:42 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,473 times

Advertisements

After the months of winter clouds, snow, and the gray clouds, I do not know of a place on earth that is more beautiful (and more welcome) than the first weeks of spring in PA. The grass is a deep green. The trees are in early bloom, and the flowers are showing their early colors. The turkey, deer, the various birds are all bustling about. Even the people, who are coming out of their winter solitudes, are as friendly as I have ever seen. Spring in Pittsburgh, no less, is an awesome array of nature and culture.

I could move to Florida for one season only... I would miss Pittsburgh that much. There are just so many more reasons to stay than to leave. Florida has the awesome winter climate, but the growth is decimating much of the beauty. The sprawling of brick and concrete EVERYWHERE, traffic, crime, hurricanes, and a shrinking middle class far exceed most of my hometown region. If it weren't for the winters....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 11:53 AM

14 posts, read 98,380 times
Default Are you kidding?

I moved to NJ from Southwestern PA after completing my Master's at Cal U of PA. I live right across the Hudson River from Manhattan and what a huge difference from PA!!! (been here 10 years)

Yes, it's overpriced and overcrowded but what a wonderfully diverse place! I've met people from all over the world and people here are so much more openminded and seem to be more open to new things (I'm comparing this is based on my experience in the town I grew up in and my experience at Cal U not necessarily all of PA). Also, I remember when I first moved here to NJ, my first thought was "it's alive!". Not sure if that makes sense but there is just a sense of livelihood that I didn't see in PA.

When we visit my hometown, we see signs for "Gun shows' everywhere and see people wearing camoflauge (sp?) even though it's not hunting season and they are not in the military. Once, when visiting my sister (she lives in a nice, new development outside of Greensburg), we were out on her deck, the kids were playing in the backyard and suddenly the sound of cattle mating overwhelmed us. It was so funny. That same day we saw signs for a "hoe down". I didn't realize how much of a country girl I had been until that visit.

I do miss the slower pace of PA but still prefer living in NJ.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:27 PM

151 posts, read 817,293 times
I am originally from Texas and lived in Lancaster (worked in West Chester) for 3 years. We miss it terribly. I think it ended up (us moving) being one of the biggest mistakes we've made. Not sure I can go back though. I am afraid it wouldn't be the same the second time around (is it ever as good as the first time??).

Old 04-10-2007, 08:24 AM

14 posts, read 98,380 times
Default Springtime and Fall are beautiful

There are so many things that I don't miss about PA (in particular how things were and still are in the area where I grew up)...but it's true that Spring and Fall are especially beautiful. The rolling hills and spring flowers truly make for a tranquil retreat (even if it's in your own backyard).

Old 04-16-2007, 09:59 PM

6 posts, read 21,014 times
Absolutely not--I moved to Georgia almost 7 years ago and wondered why I waited so long. The mountains are beautiful but hey, I can live without them. At times I miss some of the food and great Italian restaurants but the area is so depressed as well as most of the people that live there. No, thank you. It's nice to visit for a week, but I wouldn't want to live there ever again.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:04 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,995 times
Default What part of PA?

Just curious but what part of Pa ( city ) did you live in before you moved to Georgia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaeck View Post
Absolutely not--I moved to Georgia almost 7 years ago and wondered why I waited so long. The mountains are beautiful but hey, I can live without them. At times I miss some of the food and great Italian restaurants but the area is so depressed as well as most of the people that live there. No, thank you. It's nice to visit for a week, but I wouldn't want to live there ever again.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:41 PM

29 posts, read 79,891 times
I left Pa 27 yrs ago, lived in New YOrk for 14 yrs, now here in Ga the last 13 yrs. I became a widow this year, and if I could find a job with relocation benefits I would move back. That is where my roots are, it's home.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:43 PM

29 posts, read 79,891 times
By the way, "mameck", where do you live in GA?

Old 04-22-2007, 04:47 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,407 times
mart00 - I was widowed a few years ago. I made the move back to my roots as well. It was only from one end of the county to the other, but it made a world of difference to me. I found comfort in 'coming home'.

Sending a (((Hug!))) because........well, just because. You know.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:30 AM

523 posts, read 2,829,603 times
I left 40 yrs ago and love to go back in Oct to see leaves change, but I consider Florida my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania