Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2007, 03:10 PM

176 posts, read 650,931 times

Advertisements

The occupational tax is $10 pp...the EMS tax is optional, meaning that a munincipality can choose this over the occupational tax, and it's a max of $52. Most of the towns here in NE PA are continuing to use the occupational tax and so we don't pay the EMS tax, although Nanticoke collects it instead of the $10 tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 04:26 PM

25 posts, read 186,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougargm View Post
The occupational tax is $10 pp...the EMS tax is optional, meaning that a munincipality can choose this over the occupational tax, and it's a max of $52. Most of the towns here in NE PA are continuing to use the occupational tax and so we don't pay the EMS tax, although Nanticoke collects it instead of the $10 tax.
I live in a state (Delaware) with no local income tax outside of Wilmington (and I don't live or work there). The concept of the $52 (or even $10) tax is outright stupid. Pennsylvania taxes the heck out of its working class to benefit its elderly population. Delaware exports its tax on non-residents (corporation filing fee, I-95 toll booths, etc.). Even with Delaware's higher income tax brackets, I still pay less than I would if I lived and worked in Pennsylvania. Additionally I have lower car insurance.

Pennsylvania residents do not have it good in terms of taxes. It's just that most of its neighbors make it falsely appear so.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:19 PM

176 posts, read 650,931 times
Default PA's tax burden

I just read a new study that listed each state's per capita tax rates, based on state income tax, sales tax and property taxes (which can vary considerably within a state). PA was ranked 24th. NY and NJ were in the top three, along with Connecticut....so Pa's isn't actually that bad compared to neighboring states, and is pretty much in the middle nationally.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:24 PM

25 posts, read 186,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougargm View Post
I just read a new study that listed each state's per capita tax rates, based on state income tax, sales tax and property taxes (which can vary considerably within a state). PA was ranked 24th. NY and NJ were in the top three, along with Connecticut....so Pa's isn't actually that bad compared to neighboring states, and is pretty much in the middle nationally.
I look at Pennsylvania as my high tax, high cost neighbor to the north.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:24 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDCofDE View Post
I lived in it for 21 years in 3 counties. I have been to 60 of the 67 counties. And yes, it's all the same except for Philadelphia, which has other issues but I still visit it.
That's funny. I rarely see horse-and-buggies driving on the turnpike.

Let's be honest. A lot of Pennsylvania is rural in character, but to claim that PA's only distinctions are Philadelphia and "the rest" of the state truly demonstrates the extent to which you really don't know the culture in state of over 12 million people and over 46,000 square miles.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:47 AM

14 posts, read 58,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance35 View Post
Do I miss Pennsylvania? About as much as I would miss WARTS! I was born and raised in Pittsburgh (Mt. Washington) My husband was born and raised about 40 miles N of Pgh. The last winter we were living in PA the temperature got down to 55 below 0 (with the wind chill factor). I called a real estate agent in Nashville TN and asked him to find us a home. QUICK!! We moved here 15 years ago and we love it! The last thing my brother-in-law said as we were pulling out of the driveway for the last time was "you'll be back." Well, it's been 15 years. Would I move back?......when donkeys fly!
love that last line! I moved away from Grove city in 1978 to Arizona, would I leave the west to move back? NEVER!

Old 05-19-2007, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
I lived there in Pitt for three years..and it never got to 55 below..so i don't know if that was a fluke for the poster..or a fluke that 3 years they have been having milder winters..
I was BORN in the N S of Pittsburgh 10-25-1935 I have never seen minus 55 in my time, I miss PA. and will deffinate move back to N.W. PA.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post

I was BORN in the N S of Pittsburgh 10-25-1935 I have never seen minus 55 in my time, I miss PA. and will deffinate move back to N.W. PA.
Will I ever miss the City of Pittsburgh ???
NOPE, Potholes , High Property Taxes ,Traffic.

I'll move to a quiet town 100 miles north, I'm retired now...I don't need the crowds, the hussle bussle of the RUSH HOUR, waiting in long lines on the parkway, the best way to beat the parking problem in Pittsburgh ...is to buy a PARKED car.

Give me Potter, Warren, or Vanango Counties....the Alleg N.F. The Mountains
I'd like my ashes spread there.

I have lived in VA. CA. WA. MT. & IN. where I now live and HATE it here.

~Bo~

Old 08-06-2007, 12:12 PM

26 posts, read 134,018 times
Grew up in Philly burbs, moved to Pittsburgh for 5 years, then to Charlotte NC. Wouldn't move back to PA for all the money in the world. Significantly better down here. The weather in PA in intolerable and don't even get me started in the construction. Also, as some posters have already stated, the taxes are rediculous and lets not forget about the "state stores" In PA you still can't buy wine or beer while grocery shopping or at a gas station. Couldn't be happier to have gotten the h** out.

BTW, I have never seen or heard of 55 below either. THe winters are rough but not that rough. Last winter in the 'burgh it got down to near -20 with wind chill but that was a record I believe. My son was called off school for a few days.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:20 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
Most of the people who say "PA sucks" are teenagers who think that everywhere else must be more "fun." Then they grow up, have a fmily, and realize that they miss PA and move back.

Funny you mention how much NY and NJ people must hate PA, since it seems that people from NY and NJ are flocking to live in PA, especially in the Poconos.

Excellent post. What's also funny is the number of people from NY and NJ who get their college educations here. And vacation here here (Poconos, Lancaster County, New Hope/Peddlar's Village, Philly). Apparently, we must be doing something right, if people with such impeccable taste CHOOSE to learn, vacation, and sometimes eventually MOVE here.

No offense meant to NJ/NYer's; in fact, I say "welcome."

Last edited by BPP1999; 08-06-2007 at 06:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania