Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 08:21 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,596,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Looks like J.C. Penney is closing up also. Gap has announced some of their stores will be closing which doesn't sound good for the SVM location.
I did not even hear about JCP, saw the Daily Item online announced it a few days ago. Also along with the other closures, Radio Shack will be gone soon as well.

Here are the 39 locations J.C. Penney is closing - CBS News

Pennsylvania

Chambersburg Mall in Chambersburg
Susquehanna Valley Mall in Hummels Wharf
Granite Run Mall in Media
Nittany Mall in State College
York Galleria in York

JCP and Radio Shack have been there since the mall opened in 1978, they had a good run. Radio Shack is a victim of a changing marketplace. JCP, dunno, the ones I have been to elsewhere were modernized and always busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 01:42 PM

226 posts, read 761,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
That's my relatives told me, but I think the date will slide. From what I heard Monroe Township Zoning loves the red tape game.
Opening the 19th now

Old 01-13-2015, 02:30 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,919,578 times
Is there a small truck gas fill being built across the Cancer Center on the old trail? The signs and size of the lot seems different.

What is basically going to happen with the owner of the mall and monroe marketplace? Seems silly he has two locations and seems like he is chasing away quite a few businesses from the mall. Will he be able to find a replacement to go into Friendly's or will that remain dormant most likely? Wonder if he would ever tear the mall down and sell it or sell the mall as is. They also chased out the Dollar Tree because of a rent hike when they left the mall. I'm assuming the same for Arby's? (Or what was the story with Arby's closing?).

Old 01-14-2015, 09:46 AM

74 posts, read 179,862 times
Some struggling malls in other areas are being converted to an open-air mall format or a lifestyle center. I wonder if the owners have that in mind for this one?

Old 01-14-2015, 10:25 AM

I remember when they were building the SV Mall, I was young but it was a big deal at the time. I remember how packed it use to be Friday and Saturday nights back in the 80's too. Had to wait in line to play some of the newest games at the Space Port arcade. The mall and the 4 theaters that were then attached created a lot of competition and a lot of places closed, now history is repeating itself.

If enough stores and other anchors pull out it will become one of those deadmalls you see. In retrospect the 1998 expansion was a mistake, but the mall would look very dated now if they did not do it.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberman View Post
Some struggling malls in other areas are being converted to an open-air mall format or a lifestyle center. I wonder if the owners have that in mind for this one?
That would be pretty awesome. I walk at the mall in the winter sometimes and something like this would be welcomed. I have a business idea that would be perfect but can't say anything as I may look into doing it elsewhere in the area. I'm sad that the mall is struggling

Quote:
I remember when they were building the SV Mall, I was young but it was a big deal at the time. I remember how packed it use to be Friday and Saturday nights back in the 80's too. Had to wait in line to play some of the newest games at the Space Port arcade. The mall and the 4 theaters that were then attached created a lot of competition and a lot of places closed, now history is repeating itself.

If enough stores and other anchors pull out it will become one of those deadmalls you see. In retrospect the 1998 expansion was a mistake, but the mall would look very dated now if they did not do it.
I remember the excitement as well! Also remember when the mall was packed on the weekends. I do also recall being cranky about how long it took for the movie theaters to be expanded as it seemed like forever with all the push backs on moving forward. Off the subject but I hate that carmike has bought out the movie theaters. I liked the previous owner/business a ton better.

I also remember spending much time and money at the Space Port! I loved it when I was a kid. There was a baseball game there I played all the time. When I lived in State College around 10 years ago they had a place jammed with arcade games. Would go their often to remember the good old days. Sadly they closed down soon after I moved down that way

It's sad but we will soon have an useless mall like the one in Buckhorn. Sad days....

Old 01-17-2015, 09:37 AM

I only went to the movie theater once since it remodeled, that was probably over 10 years ago, I was in the area visiting and my cousin wanted to go see a movie, so I went. I actually have better memories when it was the original Fox Theaters, attached to the mall, smell of popcorn and arcade noises coming out of Space Port next to it where we would often hang out prior to the movie starting.

I also miss the Strand and Rialto in Sunbury, the character was nothing like the new places. Once the mall came in they didn't last too long, I did see Star Wars in 1977 at the Strand and have not forgot that memory.

I also went to the Columbia Mall in Buckhorn after it opened, wasn't that great back then and I heard it was struggling, Sears pulled out and I'm still amazed JCP did not close that store.

I have been to most of the malls back in the heyday within a 75 mille radius of the Valley and beyond. Whenever I look up the places I remember, I see how they decayed. Especially the malls in Harrisburg.

Times have changed, some day the SV Mall will bill razed and there will be something else there, if the let it go you will see a bunch of low end off brand stores filling the empty spaces but that is only if Preit get's desperate and lowers the rent.

Though you go to other prosperous areas and malls are packed and flourishing. King of Prussia Mall is not in a depressed state, it's just the market Central PA does not have a great influx of high paying jobs and it's rural nature does not often support much of what many malls elsewhere have in terms of the demographic, plus the competition with online and etc.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:58 AM

I miss the Strand also Saw Kix in the front row balcony with my folks when I was seven years old! It was a blast for a first concert and always went backstage to meet the band. We still have a ton of pics of me being anywhere from 7 to 14ish with band members. Got to see them every time they performed there which was pretty cool. Seen many movies there and still have fond memories. Being a horror buff I got to see John Carpenter's The Thing, Creepshow, Cat People, and a few other ones that scared me being a young teen. Still love horror to this day

Can anybody confirm or debunk all the talk of Red Lobster coming to Shamokin Dam? I have a relative that works at the new Marzoni's and she said it's happening and will be placed up near Longhorn Steakhouse. She said there was a sign of some sort about it but I looked couldn't find it (was driving so couldn't get a good look though). I'm still under the thinking that Red Lobster won't move here because of franchise distance rules and population minimums. However, know they sold the company recently and hopefully they changed some of their protocols. I would be so happy having a Red Lobster down this way!!!!!

Old 01-19-2015, 09:04 PM

I saw a number of movies at the Rialto and Strand back in the day, I was young but still remember some of them. I don't remember the last movie I saw there, but it had to be around the time Fox opened at the mall 1978-79.

I saw a few concerts there in 80's too, last one was probably 1986, saw Kix a few times as well prior. I recall the first concert they held was The Plasmatics in 1982 I believe, caused a lot of controversy and news on WNEP. I thought they stopped showing movies after they converted it for concerts in 1981-82? I actually saw The Thing at the Fox Theaters in the mall, I remember it was warm out so summer time 1982, bunch of my friends went to see it together. Was a awesome film, but it wasn't busy I recall and the movie was a sleeper at the time.

Old photos of The Strand, bring back the memories. It's a pity they did not keep it as is and restore it but Sunbury is not Lewisburg otherwise the Campus would have been gone a long time ago. Rialto burned down which I still think was an inside job. Both those places had a long history in Sunbury in the heyday.

Strand Theater, Sunbury PA

My relatives told me a while ago that Red Lobster was actually suppose to be going where Marzoni's is, but the sale of the land fell through, the owner wanted $1 million for the property and would not budge then they switched to a lease was listed at a 20 year lease for $50,000 per year no takers, then offered for sale at $795,000 which when Marzoni's bought it, not sure on the amount they paid but they own the land so my relatives stated.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:36 AM

63 posts, read 156,337 times
Quote:

My relatives told me a while ago that Red Lobster was actually suppose to be going where Marzoni's is, but the sale of the land fell through, the owner wanted $1 million for the property and would not budge then they switched to a lease was listed at a 20 year lease for $50,000 per year no takers, then offered for sale at $795,000 which when Marzoni's bought it, not sure on the amount they paid but they own the land so my relatives stated.
I haven't heard anything about the progress on a Red Lobster yet, However I do have information that Buffalo Wild Wings applied for liqueur licence transfer for Monroe Marketplace.

GENERAL LICENSEE INFORMATION
Name:
BLAZIN WINGS INC
Address:
MARKETPLACE BLVD & NINA DR
SELINSGROVE PA
Trade Name: BUFFALO WILD WINGS Phone: 000-000-0000
License No: R 17113 LID: 70769
License Type: RESTAURANT LIQUOR - (R) County: SNYDER COUNTY
Municipality-(code): MONROE TWP - (535) Status: PENDING - NEW OR TRANSFER
Tavern Gaming Status: NO
OWNER ISSUE DATES
Original Owner: 1/24/1945 Current Owner: 0/0/0000

I also see that Ulta Beauty (I'm not certain whats it is) has bid plans for Feb 5, 2015. Building to start in March of 2015. I can only assume it might be in one of the vacant spots near either end of the portion with Giant in it.

Project Name:Ulta Beauty/Selinsgrove
Project Address:Monroe Marketplace 330 Marketplace Blvd
Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania 17870
Bid Due Date February 05, 2015
Bidding Stage:GC Bidding
Project Type:Renovation, Demolition, Commercial, Private, Open Shop
Description:Est. Start: 04/06/2015 Est. Complete: 06/24/2015 Sq. Footage: 7613 tenant fit out
Trades Needed:Acoustical Ceilings / Electrical / Arch Metal & Aluminum / Specialties / Painting / Wall Covering / Plumbing / Bathroom Accessories / Cabinets / Millwork / Finish Carpentry / Tile & Stone / Carpentry / Framing / Fire Suppression / Carpet / Firealarms / Trim / Moulding / Cleaning / Site Clean-up / Firestopping / Waterproofing / Caulking / Rubbish Removal / Portable Toilets / Commercial Flooring / Glazing / Windows & Doors / HVAC / Insulation / Interior Sprinklers / Demolition / Drywall / Low Voltage / Audio / Visual
Special Instructions:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania