Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You in Favor of a Statewide Public Smoking Ban?
Yes 83 62.41%
No 46 34.59%
I'm Not Sure 3 2.26%
I Don't Care 1 0.75%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:40 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times

Advertisements

As we enter 2008 I know of a lot of people, including my partner, who are making resolutions to kick the dirty habit we know as cigarette smoking. It seems like we find a new disease that cigarettes cause on an annual basis, and many folks are realizing that with the higher cost of gasoline, shaky housing market, slowly-rising wages, etc. that cigarettes are becoming an unaffordable luxury item. I myself have never smoked and am mildly allergic; my eyes water and I often cough when I'm in restaurants and bars where smoking is permitted.

In 2007 Scranton followed the examples of Erie and Allegheny County in establishing its own renegade public smoking ban that was eventually overturned when it was declared unconstitutional because the state itself has yet to enact such legislation. Philadelphia, to my knowledge, is the only city in the Keystone State where such a ban against smoking in public establishments has been "grandfathered" in.

I myself can't understand why so many establishments, especially in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, permit smoking when their ventiliation is so poor to begin with. I refuse to patronize a restaurant, bar, diner, coffee shop, etc. where you are subjected to a thick scent of smoke as soon as you enter, and I can't imagine how many employees who work in this sort of environment eventually succumb to emphysema, lung cancer, throat cancer, asthma, etc. on account of excessive second-hand exposure.

I originally supported the idea of just having well-partitioned segregated areas for smokers and non-smokers, but I've noticed in many local establishments that such areas simply don't work, as the smoky scent tends to find its way into the non-smoking areas as well. I can understand smokers defending their "right to smoke," but what about me, an avid runner who is mildly allergic to smoke, to protect my lungs? Does either side truly have the right to impose their beliefs upon the other? Can nonsmokers continually brutalize smokers? Can smokers continually say "if you don't like it too bad" to nonsmokers?

I have a feeling that in 2008 or 2009 PA will be the next state to adopt a statewide public smoking ban, but there is indeed WIDESPREAD opposition to this proposal. When Scranton had its short-lived smoking ban city businesses were nearly empty as most city residents are apparently smokers who voiced their disgust by patronizing suburban establishments, where the ban wasn't in place. This is quite contrary to Philadelphia, where a lot of nonsmoking suburbanites flood into the city to eat in a smoke-free atmosphere.

What do others think? I'm 100% for the ban, as I'm tired of being told "dont' go to places where there's smoke" when seemingly 75% of my area's establishments permit smoking. Local hospitals for crying out loud are just finally banning smoking on their premises to outraged battle cries of employees, showcasing just how archaic and socially-regressive Pennsylvania is if folks in our state don't even see the need to ban smoking around the sick, elderly, infirmed, newborns, etc. In that case folks can argue that they'll just smoke outside and then come in, but nonsmokers can smell smokers from a mile away---long after they've littered by throwing their cigarette butts onto the pavement (another pet peeve of mine as an individual who used to have to clean those up at my former employer). I refuse to kiss my partner for the rest of the day after he smokes; why would I want to come into contact with an ashtray? Similarly, I've been appalled in some local hospitals to smell lingering smoke on the clothing of some RNs. Do they not realize how unpleasant that is for their patients?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 09:27 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,214 times
I support a ban 100%. Even more important than a smoking ban in restaurants and public places is the issue of people smoking around children. I think more efforts should be taken to outlaw smoking in the presence of children. In my opinion, nobody should smoke in any indoor environment where there are children...including houses and cars. The sad thing is that there are actually people who think nothing of smoking in cars with babies and young children, smoking in houses with these children, and smoking while pregnant. While I support public smoking bans, I would much rather them keep smoking legal in adult establishments like bars, but at the same time outlaw smoking around children.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:29 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post

I have a feeling that in 2008 or 2009 PA will be the next state to adopt a statewide public smoking ban, but there is indeed WIDESPREAD opposition to this proposal. When Scranton had its short-lived smoking ban city businesses were nearly empty as most city residents are apparently smokers who voiced their disgust by patronizing suburban establishments, where the ban wasn't in place. This is quite contrary to Philadelphia, where a lot of nonsmoking suburbanites flood into the city to eat in a smoke-free atmosphere.
You know the old saying, SWB....Pennsylvania is Philly and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between. There is some truth to that saying, and the smoking issue shows that there are in fact a lot of ignorant uneducated redneck people left in this state.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:29 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
Ban smoking in all buildings where non smokers and smokers mix, but allow bars, restaurant etc. to be smoking or non-smoking establishments as the owners desire. Non-smokers ( I am one of them ) don't have to frequent smoking establishments. Regarding this issue, I prefer to allow Big Brother to control smoking only where it is genuinely needed to protect the health of non smokers. If some idiot wants to smoke and damage their health in their own home, or in a smoking designated building let em do it, but make their health insurance premiums at least 3 or 4 times as expensive as non-smoker premiums. I don't want to contribute a single penny to their health care.

Here's another interesting thread on the subject of smoking: What makes a smoker disgusting? ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page)

blessings...Franco

Old 01-02-2008, 09:41 PM

77 posts, read 473,866 times
Wow! I didn't realize that Pennsylvania was so far behind the times regarding smoking. The ban is so effective in California that one rarely smells cigarette smoke anymore, and, as of January 1st, smoking is banned in cars in which anyone under 18 is present.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:49 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
My ultimate dream come true is when the very word "smoking" is erased from our society. That in just a dozen years into the future, few ever will even remember it.

If it kills so many people then why do we allow it? It shoud be banned from the world.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainie View Post
Wow! I didn't realize that Pennsylvania was so far behind the times regarding smoking. The ban is so effective in California that one rarely smells cigarette smoke anymore, and, as of January 1st, smoking is banned in cars in which anyone under 18 is present.
Pennsylvania is "far behind the times" on MANY social issues. This can best be evidenced by the anti-gay billboards that are now creeping up around our local landscape that are being sponsored by Evangelical groups pushing for a statewide ban on both same-sex marriages and same-sex civil unions at a time when almost the entirety of the rest of the Northeast has legalized same-sex civil unions. Sadly in terms of intellect there IS some merit to that old adage of PA being "Philadelphia in the East, Pittsburgh in the West, and Alabama in the middle."

Old 01-02-2008, 10:47 PM

492 posts, read 2,371,172 times
I can't believe that PA doesn't have a ban already either. Ohio has one for crying out loud!!!

I sure wish South Korea would get one... I think I already have lung cancer from being here only a few months...

Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Ban smoking in all buildings where non smokers and smokers mix, but allow bars, restaurant etc. to be smoking or non-smoking establishments as the owners desire. Non-smokers ( I am one of them ) don't have to frequent smoking establishments. Regarding this issue, I prefer to allow Big Brother to control smoking only where it is genuinely needed to protect the health of non smokers. If some idiot wants to smoke and damage their health in their own home, or in a smoking designated building let em do it, but make their health insurance premiums at least 3 or 4 times as expensive as non-smoker premiums. I don't want to contribute a single penny to their health care.

Here's another interesting thread on the subject of smoking: What makes a smoker disgusting? ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page)

blessings...Franco
One of the main concerns about bars and restaurants is the health of the employees. Yes, Pennsylvania should have a ban. Colorado does. Illinois just enacted one. Many other states have done so.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
One of the main concerns about bars and restaurants is the health of the employees. Yes, Pennsylvania should have a ban. Colorado does. Illinois just enacted one. Many other states have done so.
As I said earlier though PA is one of those states that just doesn't "get it" on most social issues. We're like the red-headed stepchild or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania