Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:37 AM

19 posts, read 52,410 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm thinking about moving to PA from NY and I wanted to find out about areas to live there. I'm looking for a suburban area that is ethnically diverse, a safe area that is also affordable but not to close to heavy city life but not a small town either. An area with a good school district also. I really appreciate some help with this. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:26 AM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashamc9 View Post
Hi. I'm thinking about moving to PA from NY and I wanted to find out about areas to live there. I'm looking for a suburban area that is ethnically diverse, a safe area that is also affordable but not to close to heavy city life but not a small town either. An area with a good school district also. I really appreciate some help with this. Thanks so much.

I don't know of any magical place that has all of those things. The big problem is the ethnically diverse thing. Pennsylvania, outside of Philadelphia and the city of Allentown, is very, very white. There isn't much racial diversity, however there is diversity amongst the white people. It isn't uncommon to see neighborhoods that are italian, irish, and lots of eastern european influence too. There are tons of beautiful orthodox churches all through PA.

There are tons of nice, cheap places with school schools in the Lehigh Valley,like Emmaus or Macugnie. Lebanon and Lancaster are also nice places. These places aren't very diverse though. PA is still very segregated, so you're not going to find a suburb where whites, blacks, hispanics, and asians all live next to each other, there is little crime, and the schools are great. That's a fairytale. The closest thing to that would probably be State College. But, other than a college town, most of the nice areas of PA are 95%-98% white...or you could buy a bulletproof vest, move into the city of allentown or philadelphia and enjoy the diversity.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
I don't know of any magical place that has all of those things. The big problem is the ethnically diverse thing. Pennsylvania, outside of Philadelphia and the city of Allentown, is very, very white. There isn't much racial diversity, however there is diversity amongst the white people. It isn't uncommon to see neighborhoods that are italian, irish, and lots of eastern european influence too. There are tons of beautiful orthodox churches all through PA.

There are tons of nice, cheap places with school schools in the Lehigh Valley,like Emmaus or Macugnie. Lebanon and Lancaster are also nice places. These places aren't very diverse though. PA is still very segregated, so you're not going to find a suburb where whites, blacks, hispanics, and asians all live next to each other, there is little crime, and the schools are great. That's a fairytale. The closest thing to that would probably be State College. But, other than a college town, most of the nice areas of PA are 95%-98% white...or you could buy a bulletproof vest, move into the city of allentown or philadelphia and enjoy the diversity.
A few good points and a few bad ones.

You don't need a bulletproof vest in Allentown or Philly, just stay out of trouble. There are lots of great neighborhoods in Philly. I can't say the same about Allentown but there are good areas there too I'm sure. Lancaster and Lebanon are actually very diverse cities, but the suburban areas of each county are very white. Harrisburg's east shore suburbs are diverse (Susquehanna, Lower Paxton, Penbrook) and affordable, you may want to keep that in mind. I'd go so far as to say they are probably the most affordable diverse suburbs in the state with a low crime rate.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:43 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:

While this may be true in the vast majority of the Central/Western state, many suburban communities in the Eastern part of the state are increasingly diverse. The "fairy tale" you describe is certainly not unheard of in areas outside of Philadelphia, the Lehigh Valley, and the Harrisburg area.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 PM

19 posts, read 52,410 times
Does anyone have any info on Levittown?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:55 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
The big problem is the ethnically diverse thing. Pennsylvania, outside of Philadelphia and the city of Allentown, is very, very white.
No doubt all the folks of African, Asian, Indian etc. descent who live in and around places like Johnstown, Pittsburgh, Erie, Sharon, etc. would be curious as to where you get your information.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:55 PM

274 posts, read 1,401,155 times
Levittown is a decent area...older housing from the 50's, near to Phila and Trenton. Fairly diverse. Would say the school district is a bit weaker though.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:24 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No doubt all the folks of African, Asian, Indian etc. descent who live in and around places like Johnstown, Pittsburgh, Erie, Sharon, etc. would be curious as to where you get your information.

Actually I am from sw PA and still have family there. I get my info from facts. The facts are that Pittsburgh is a very white city, and the suburbs are well over 95% white. Get outside of Allegheny County and it is similar. If you don't believe me, visit Butler, Westmoreland, Fayette, and Washington Counties and let me know how much diversity is there. Get some info about the HUGE asian and indian populations in Johnstown, Sharon, and Erie please. Or, does less than 1% asian count as diverse now?

Old 11-19-2009, 07:15 PM

9 posts, read 12,898 times
Default Don't move to PA

I moved to Pennsylvania from Maryland and HATE IT! I thought it would be more progressive but it' not. Many of the people here a prejudice (live in Drums,PA outside of Hazleton) and work in the Poconos. The families in the Poconos work in New York/New Jersey and their children suffer. I am also looking for a place in Pennsylvania that will offer a walkable community with diversity but "out of luck"

Old 11-20-2009, 02:45 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddie View Post
I moved to Pennsylvania from Maryland and HATE IT! I thought it would be more progressive but it' not. Many of the people here a prejudice (live in Drums,PA outside of Hazleton) and work in the Poconos. The families in the Poconos work in New York/New Jersey and their children suffer. I am also looking for a place in Pennsylvania that will offer a walkable community with diversity but "out of luck"
There are many places in PA that have walkable communities with more embrace of diversity than suburbs of Hazleton. Some not even too far from you, such as Williamsport, Bloomsburg, and Lewisburg. Not to mention parts of the Allentown and Philadelphia areas, depending on what you seek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania