Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:35 PM

393 posts, read 1,498,259 times

Advertisements

This is the most adorable town ever. I want to live there. Thanks for the pics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 06:39 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parasol View Post
This is the most adorable town ever. I want to live there. Thanks for the pics!
You're quite welcome, and thank you for checking out the tour! Lewisburg truly is one of my favorite small towns in Northeastern Pennsylvania. It ranks right up there with Wellsboro, Honesdale, Jim Thorpe, Montrose, Tunkhannock, Selinsgrove, and some others. Come to think of it, most county seats in PA's rural counties are just like Lewisburg---thriving Main Streets with antiques stores, cafes, mom-and-pop stores, etc. with well-kept historic homes on tree-lined side streets. I also did a photo tour of West Pittston, PA, the "Garden Village," which is another great local town. I find it difficult to believe that there are so many in our region with an "I hate NEPA" mentality when friendly Mayberry-like towns like Lewisburg are just around every corner.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 09-12-2007 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-12-2007, 07:34 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
You're quite welcome, and thank you for checking out the tour! Lewisburg truly is one of my favorite small towns in Northeastern Pennsylvania. It ranks right up there with Wellsboro, Honesdale, Jim Thorpe, Montrose, Tunkhannock, Selinsgrove, and some others. Come to think of it, most county seats in PA's rural counties are just like Lewisburg---thriving Main Streets with antiques stores, cafes, mom-and-pop stores, etc. with well-kept historic homes on tree-lined side streets. I also did a photo tour of West Pittston, PA, the "Garden Village," which is another great local town. I find it difficult to believe that there are so many in our region with an "I hate NEPA" mentality when friendly Mayberry-like towns like Lewisburg are just around every corner.
I agree with everything you said, except that unfortunately the Snyder County seat (Middleburg) is not up to the standards of some of the other county seats. I'm not sure how Selinsgrove grew but Middleburg didn't. Maybe Susquehanna University has something to do with it. Or it could be that Selinsgrove is on Route 15, a major north/south corridor, while Middleburg is on Route 322, a minor east/west corridor. Middleburg is one of those towns that, while nice, doesn't offer much in the way of nightlife or things to do. It may be a little bit too much like Mayberry - where a big night on the town involves gossiping in the local barber shop. (Can you tell I'm more partial to Selinsgrove than Middleburg? Hope I didn't offend anyone whose preferences are the opposite.)

Old 09-30-2007, 10:59 PM

5 posts, read 14,559 times
Default great schools too?

I am originally from the Pittsburgh area and have been in the south for 11 years.
I have been looking into relocating with my three year old in either North Carolina (where I lived for most of the 11 years) or moving half way between pittsburgh and NYC where my in-laws live. I came across Lewisburg on several searches and it looks promising. I am looking for a town with a Main Street, small and very family friendly, eco-friendly, farmers markets, festivals, etc. Just a great place to raise a family. Can anyone give me an idea about what the schools are like in the area. or between some towns mentioned - Wellsboro, Honesdale, Jim Thorpe, Montrose, Tunkhannock, Selinsgrove, Lewisburg - where might I be able to find what I need in a new hometown.
Thanks

Old 10-01-2007, 06:32 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al1971 View Post
I am originally from the Pittsburgh area and have been in the south for 11 years.
I have been looking into relocating with my three year old in either North Carolina (where I lived for most of the 11 years) or moving half way between pittsburgh and NYC where my in-laws live. I came across Lewisburg on several searches and it looks promising. I am looking for a town with a Main Street, small and very family friendly, eco-friendly, farmers markets, festivals, etc. Just a great place to raise a family. Can anyone give me an idea about what the schools are like in the area. or between some towns mentioned - Wellsboro, Honesdale, Jim Thorpe, Montrose, Tunkhannock, Selinsgrove, Lewisburg - where might I be able to find what I need in a new hometown.
Thanks
Go to this website and compare the school rankings. I think Lewisburg will be at the top or very near the top.

Schools, High School, Public Schools, School District, Public High Schools - SchoolMatters (http://www.schoolmatters.com/ - broken link)

Old 10-05-2007, 05:58 AM

50 posts, read 182,336 times
Hey ScrantonWilkesBarre,
My newspaper ran a Washington Post column today about The Office and it's effects on the image of Scranton. Thought you might find it interesting.
Scranton, making all the Dwight moves - Roanoke.com

Old 10-05-2007, 08:39 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscans View Post
Hey ScrantonWilkesBarre,
My newspaper ran a Washington Post column today about The Office and it's effects on the image of Scranton. Thought you might find it interesting.
Scranton, making all the Dwight moves - Roanoke.com
Thanks for the link to the article; it's good to see the city getting more rave reviews. Most people who speak negatively about Scranton haven't been here since they moved away for greener pastures in the 1990s, when Scranton had just bottomed out and was dubbed as the runner-up for "Armpit of America" in a national publication. Now just a decade later the downtown is brimming with upscale boutiques, ethnic restaurants, coffee houses, art galleries, and upcoming loft apartments and a medical college, among others. I often wonder why if Scranton can turn from "slum" to "chic" in just ten years or so why other troubled cities can't do the same? While there is a very vocal minority in the city known as the "Legion of Doom" that congregates on a controversial web site known as "Doherty Deceit," the vast majority of those in NEPA now think Scranton is headed on a path to a better tomorrow after decades of decline. It had to happen eventually, right, so why not now?

Old 10-05-2007, 12:23 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al1971 View Post
Thanks
I highly, highly recommend Lewisburg or Selinsgrove. I think they both have what you're looking for, and while Lewisburg is "ahead" at this point, Selinsgrove is on the verge of hiring a Main Street Manager and will soon be catching up to Lewisburg.

As far as schools, they're both excellent districts. We're in the midst of our open houses here and I'm always so impressed with our teachers in Selinsgrove and the facilities and opportunities that are available to our children.

Last edited by Dawne; 10-05-2007 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 11-07-2007, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 7,527 times
SWB,

Thank you for the excellent pictures! I graduated from Bucknell, and enjoyed the town so much I bought my first home there. As a matter of fact, had you turned 90 degrees to your right taking this picture, you would have a picture of it:

Now I want to go back for a visit!

~W

Old 11-08-2007, 04:39 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmoore View Post
SWB,

Thank you for the excellent pictures! I graduated from Bucknell, and enjoyed the town so much I bought my first home there. As a matter of fact, had you turned 90 degrees to your right taking this picture, you would have a picture of it:

Now I want to go back for a visit!

~W
I used to live right up the street from there, but on N. 2nd St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania