Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 04:10 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

I never found Pennsylvanians to be angry or aggressive. Quite the contrary. I found all Pennsylvanians to be down-to-earth, genuinely nice and sincere people. They were strong in their convictions, not shallow at all, and fair. I found many of the women to be among the finest that I have ever met (which is why I married one). Character, integrity, and quiet quality come to mind when I think of the people of that state. PA one of my favorite states and I miss the people there.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:23 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Again: What you see depends on where you are located, what occupation you are employed in , and how well your individual circumstances can isolate you from the hardscrabble life. Overall, the western side of PA has been in decline. Pittsburgh and it's immediate vicinity have been the only western region to buck the trend.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:55 PM

419 posts, read 448,308 times
I beat the crap out of somebody on the street yesterday for looking at me the wrong way.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:37 PM

89 posts, read 202,513 times
If the person who created this thread had ever been to California he would have a different additude,neighbors don't even talk to each other let alone look out for each other.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:16 PM

8 posts, read 20,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEPA!!! View Post
The majority of you have read my posts by now, and have gathered that I do not like the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania at all. And I still feel that a big reason why I don't like this state is the attitudes of the people.

I'm going to try and be as objective as I possibly can here. Not ALL people in PA are angry and aggressive. There are some pretty good folks in PA so far as I can see. Unfortunately, I feel a large portion of this state's residents suck, for lack of a better term. And they tend to suck BAD!

One way in particular I've noticed is that many folks out here in PA tend to have a chip on their shoulder and have an aggressive edge to them. You see that quite a bit in the seniors out here in particular.

Sometimes folks out here mean well, but when they want something, or try to discourage you from doing something, they will go on an all-out campaign to get their way. Pennsylvanians don't seem to know how to take "no" for an answer. They will coax, beg, strike deals, threaten and do anything they can to get you to see it their way! Most other folks will try once or twice to convince you of something in a difference of opinion, then leave it be once they see you are firm in your position. But not most PA residents! Oh, no! They will hammer away at you till the cows come home. Likely, that's their strategy, to wear you down until you comply.

I remember a friend of mine moved away from here to the Midwest to take a new job. His family and old friends here in PA tried relentlessly to get him to stay. One cousin in particular kept at him. When they were packing stuff into the Uhaul, this cousin kept arguing with him the whole time as to why he should stay. Part of the reason he wanted to leave also was because he was sick of PA and the overly conservative, living in the past atmosphere. The cousin kept telling him stuff like "The grass just looks greener on the other side." and "It'll be the same no matter where ya go!" It got to the point where my friend's wife and his cousin got into a major argument which almost came to blows.

Finally, as they were pulling out of the driveway in the Uhaul for the final time, the cousin stood there and yelled "YOU'LL BE BACK!!! 3 YEARS TOPS!!!"

Now, did the cousin mean well? Probably. I'm guessing the cousin thought the PA truly was a good place to live, and he would likely miss him and his family as well. But, is it necessary to spend all that time in some aggressive campaign to get him to stay? NO!

Also, as a postscript to this story, my friend and his family have been out there for close to 10 years now, and have enjoyed every minute of it, having no desire whatsoever to return to PA. They have been back a few times since for funerals and a family reunion, and every time, that cousin and other family members STILL try to get him to come back to PA! GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!!!

Also, I've noticed that many PA residents tend to put a high premium on being a hard-ass tough guy(or tough girl). So much so to the point where many of them tend to come across as mean bullies.

I think a big part of it is the fact that plenty of folks out here make their living in hard, blue-collar, industrial labor jobs, as did their parents, grandparents, etc.. For some reason, these people tend to make their job their whole identity as a human being. They just love to be tough and aggressive. And they all seem to LOVE their beer and liquor! It's not uncommon for these people to have the local tavern, FOE, etc. as their "second home". Plus, the profanity is off the charts. Almost literally every sentence has as least one cuss word in it! It appears that these people actively seek out conflict wherever and whenever they find it! They see it as "not taking **** from no one", but they seem to look for trouble.

Nothing against blue-collar industrial labor, but you don't need to be a hard-ass, drunken tough guy to make a living in it. I've known people who have worked in factories, mills, driven trucks, etc. who have NEVER cussed in their life and have never drank anything stronger than Mountain Dew!

I've always pointed out that the people involved are what truly make any enterprise function. So much so that the right people can make or break a place. Now, PA is a big state with 12.5 million people or so. And logically and common sense-wise not ALL of them fit in these categories. There are some GOOD people in PA too, I acknoweldge that! I've had the good fortune to be around them! But, to reiterate what I said in the beginning of this post, the people that suck here in PA tend to suck BADLY! Subsequently, if you have too many folks that suck badly in your midst, then the contributions of the good people aren't going to mean a whole lot.

I think that these types of people deep down are probably decent people, but their personality defects are, to me, a big reason why this state is a dumphole. Yeah, they're everywhere, but why is PA such a "hotbed" for these types of people?

So, in summation, the reason why I don't like PA is the attitudes of the people. 'Nuff said.
I feel for you man, I do. Hopefully you can cut your losses and get out of state ASAP. I don't like PA either, but I can't blame it on just the people. Certainly there are lots of those kinds of people, but perhaps if you changed the area in which you socialize you won't run into those types.

Try a local meet up group that does group activities. Maybe that way you will meet people with similar interests.

It's hard to find joy in an area you dislike, but for your own good, you need to at least keep busy. Maybe with the improving weather you will be able to meet other people. But you'll need to stay away from the bars and things to keep away the flies.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:39 PM

173 posts, read 542,019 times
Founded by quakers, can only buy booze in a state store, drinking age was never 18, and how long has it been since the Eagles won the championship!!!! Of course we're angry and repressed, you gotta problem with that!?

<running and ducking>

Old 06-08-2010, 07:24 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Blame Gifford Pinchot for the alcohol laws.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:00 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
As a native Pennsylvanian, I am really angry that this thread is still going on!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:27 PM

660 posts, read 1,653,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
As a native Pennsylvanian, I am really angry that this thread is still going on!

...just as long as you aren't aggressive though!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:39 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_HillBilly View Post
I beat the crap out of somebody on the street yesterday for looking at me the wrong way.
hahahahaa! You didn't REALLY do that, did you? Beat the crap out of them for driving the wrong way on the street, now, I'd call that believable and a legitimate beef!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania