Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 PM

15,643 posts, read 26,338,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
For all the "cut the cable" bandwagoners, you don't get $45k in CC debt by having cable and a cell phone...
But you cut to the bare bone to get out of it.

Look -- we've never done the credit card debt thing. So I can't talk about that, true -- but when we started out, we faced some hard times. Hubby was unemployed in 1983 in Pittsburgh PA, when steel died and took practically everything with it. When we moved out here in 1984, we had 3 thousand dollars to our name. And we were taking a chance, because we didn't have anyone to fall back on here.

But where we left was just AWFUL and there was no future there. We found an apartment (there went a big portion of our 3K) and hubby was working and I was looking for work. We had NOTHING. NOTHING. Our stuff was coming... and we had to pay for that -- and we had borrowed two plates and utensils, a pot to cook in and we had no curtains.

And it was Christmas time. Christmas day I walked to a payphone to call my mother and sister and spent the rest of the day crying my eyes out -- no tree, no dinner, no presents, hubby working a double shift because he got double time.

But it gave me strength and determination.

Our neighbor gave us have his newspaper after he was done. I took that paper and folded it accordion style and TAPED it to the tops of the windows. Curtains! In the bedroom I used the color funny pages.

After I got a job in early January... I took my first paycheck to the bank and then I went to the cheap fabric store, found some pretty remnants cheap, and stitch witchery and made real curtains, with an iron. For about 12 bucks.

We used a little tv and an antenna for a year. We budgeted, and we saved and saved and in 1987 we spent our first Christmas in our own home.

And it all started because we didn't throw up our hands and give up.

There are times in life that life is hard. But the bad times make the good times sweeter. And it angers me that this woman would rather work her husband to death so she can keep yapping on the phone and watching tv and sitting on her butt, and that he's such a henpecked nit that he lets her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 07:24 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,972,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Exactly. And it's all about changing attitude and mind set. Otherwise they'll end up right back where they were if they declare bankruptcy.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:35 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,992,807 times
I agree with wheelsup. When you get to a certain point, saving $100 a month will not put a dent in it.Bankruptsy might be the only option. As far as downsizing to a cheaper place, that could be a problem because if you own a house, there is no gaurantee it will sell. So you are still trapped.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:29 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,523,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Cutting cable and phone won't even pay the interest on his debt. If he was paying 0% interest it would take 19 years to pay it off with that cut. That isn't the solution. Sometimes the "bare bones" isn't enough.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:09 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,724,758 times
This story sounds familiar, I believe the OP has posted the same story before.

To me the first thing is that you've got to get your wife under control. Sounds like a lot of people they want all the fun but none of the responsibility that goes with it. I would agree at the moment that it's cheaper for her to stay at home during the day, but she's either got to step it up at night or the weekends and stop spending. As wheelsup said, $45K debt doesn't come from cellphones and cable.

To me there is no quick fix, rather I'd accept you'll have it tough for a number of years and that's just the way it is.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:42 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,806,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
This story sounds familiar, I believe the OP has posted the same story before.

To me the first thing is that you've got to get your wife under control. Sounds like a lot of people they want all the fun but none of the responsibility that goes with it. I would agree at the moment that it's cheaper for her to stay at home during the day, but she's either got to step it up at night or the weekends and stop spending. As wheelsup said, $45K debt doesn't come from cellphones and cable.

To me there is no quick fix, rather I'd accept you'll have it tough for a number of years and that's just the way it is.
It is. The OP could not get his wife under control in March nor can he now.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:14 PM

22,702 posts, read 47,914,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
It is. The OP could not get his wife under control in March nor can he now.
Nor will he if they do the BK.
They will be in the same mess again in another year...

Old 12-18-2010, 09:36 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,760,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
For all the "cut the cable" bandwagoners, you don't get $45k in CC debt by having cable and a cell phone...
He's not earning enough to pay for cable without adding to that $45k number, so while the cable didn't get him there, it will keep him there.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:14 PM

15,643 posts, read 26,338,483 times
I just read through his posts -- he's not really looking for advice, he's venting.

Which is fine by the way.

Just keep in mind any advice he's been given he doesn't take. He posted about doing CCCwhatever -- and one person read it and said he thought it was a bad idea. Advice not taken.

Already posted about this situation before, got lots of advice, none taken.

So let him vent, and we can commiserate. Because it really does suck for him and a whole lot of other people, and the world is a scary place right now. And if posting here, and putting this out to the world maybe helps him get a grip on what's going on, then good for him.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:26 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,806,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nor will he if they do the BK.
They will be in the same mess again in another year...
If he divorced her then her financial squandering would be her own issue .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance