Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:16 PM

475 posts, read 1,305,925 times

Advertisements

If the wife won't work outside the home it's time she start watching others kids in her own home for money. Watching 3 kids full time would net the family over 1k extra a month that could be put towards the debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 09:38 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,588,329 times
I hate to be blunt, but grow a freaking pair. It's not much of a wonder you are in serious debt, you can't tell your wife when you can't afford things.

Plus, she could still work. When you get off work you could watch the kids, and she could go to work. It happens everyday in America.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:20 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,562,995 times
Well... for those suggesting he boot his wife out - if he gets charged alimony and child support (which is a 50% possibility) - I don't think that's going to help.

Plus - maybe they're a good family, and he's just a bit stressed?

Stick with the TCA plan. Usually the payment is for a finite time (like 5 years). Then *DONE*. In the mean time, cut whatever you can to make your money go further. Shop at lower priced supermarkets, clip coupons, whatever. If possible, look at new sources of income (her working in the evenings, or selling items on ebay or recyling scrap metal -- whatever..)

Just hang on. It can be done.

In the mean time - vent away. Just remember, if you ask for advice here, you will get it. If you start with "This is a Rant, or Vent" - people will be slightly more likely not to jump on you for making decisions they disagree with.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:39 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,058,457 times
The first step is to figure out how you got in that much debt. And then change the habits that caused them.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:26 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,111,034 times
I think venting and ranting is for sissies.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:34 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,014,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
If he divorced her then her financial squandering would be her own issue .
That's where I'm thinking he's headed, unfortunately. The older I get, the more I think marrying for love is overrated.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:39 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,014,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I think venting and ranting is for sissies.
That's not totally fair. A little bit of venting is ok. But if that's all you do, then I agree.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:42 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,111,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's not totally fair. A little bit of venting is ok. But if that's all you do, then I agree.
He has made more than one thread about this subject and does nothing to change his situation. Ranting and venting is all he is doing. Don't encourage him.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:46 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,697,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Agreed. We all need to "vent" or release and talk about inner frustrations or issues, often by doing so we find solutions.

However the people I can't stand are people that vent and go on and on and despite advice asked for and then offered to them, they just go back to same old, same old and just keep repeating the behavior over and over again. To me venting then is just a waste of time if you never bother to correct any of the issues related to the venting.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:52 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,697,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
He has made more than one thread about this subject and does nothing to change his situation. Ranting and venting is all he is doing. Don't encourage him.
Yes I thought the story sounded familiar and it was.

I think for a lot of people they just want the good times and when it comes time to pay up they don't want to hear about it. Lots of times in my childhood and adulthood, I had to wear old clothes, have no TV and exist on peanut butter, I think for a lot of people they are unwilling to make those sacrifices to further themselves down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance