Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 11:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Why on earth would anyone want to get a credit card? My husband and I both have our own accounts both with check cards. We use them frequently for bills to groceries. There is liability protection if you catch the error in time, but yes that does require checking your account frequently. I check my account daily and balance it daily (I worked in banking for 8 years so its a habit).
I do not have a credit card because all the crap going on with them, interest rates, possibility of spending beyond our means, lies that they tell the consumer, etc.

With the debit card you can only spend what you have, if you don't have it you can't spend it.
You're paranoid. There's no difference between using a debit card and using a credit card and paying it off every month (in respect to all your concerns).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
It seems after many responses, that the three reasons people don't use credit cards despite the added rewards and benefits is because.

1.) They simply can't get a reasonable credit card with a good limit.
2.) They think they will over-spend if they use a credit card.
3.) They think credit cards are created by evil gremlins.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're paranoid. There's no difference between using a debit card and using a credit card and paying it off every month (in respect to all your concerns).

No not paranoid. Credit Card companies have told numerous lies to the consumer, they get people in at a low rate then jack up the rate, try to charge fees etc. I am against the banks too but unfortunately they are a necessary evil. I have zero credit cards and plan to keep it that way. I have two checking accounts and a savings that is more than sufficient.

Why does it matter to you? It seems you are pro credit card so go for it, charge away. I am anti credit card so I won't be charging away.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
It's more trouble than it's worth because I already have a card that allows me to swipe and go. It's called my debit card. A credit card would be redundant.

I'm not sure why you appear to think a debit card is so much trouble. Seems pretty simple to me.
Because I don't know anyone whose checking and savings accounts were both wiped out from using a credit card. I do know 4 people who have had them wiped out when they used their debit card.

I am not allowing any electronic direct access to my bank accounts, period.

What people here consider 'an extra step' in payment is my definition of a BUFFER between me and the criminals.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
No not paranoid. Credit Card companies have told numerous lies to the consumer, they get people in at a low rate then jack up the rate, try to charge fees etc. I am against the banks too but unfortunately they are a necessary evil. I have zero credit cards and plan to keep it that way. I have two checking accounts and a savings that is more than sufficient.

Why does it matter to you? It seems you are pro credit card so go for it, charge away. I am anti credit card so I won't be charging away.

It really doesn't matter to me. I'm actually happy that people use check cards. The transaction fees that banks make off of check cards, keep services like ATM reimbursment, free unlimited checks, and free gifts like gift cards coming for me.

I just made a comment to tell you that you're paranoid. Fees and interest only apply to those who keep balances. Do what you will. It's fine. But you're making credit cards sound more evil than they are.

As for me, I don't really use credit cards much either. But not because I'm paranoid, but because I have a chargecard that provideds me with better benefits than any credit card I could find.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
It really doesn't matter to me. I'm actually happy that people use check cards. The transaction fees that banks make off of check cards, keep services like ATM reimbursment, free unlimited checks, and free gifts like gift cards coming for me.

I just made a comment to tell you that you're paranoid. Fees and interest only apply to those who keep balances. Do what you will. It's fine. But you're making credit cards sound more evil than they are.

As for me, I don't really use credit cards much either. But not because I'm paranoid, but because I have a chargecard that provideds me with better benefits than any credit card I could find.
Agreed. Any credit card 'hijinks' only apply if you carry a balance. Otherwise it is a 30 day free loan. Free loan. Think about that. Your money can be sitting in the bank earning interest while you take a free loan.

I'm with NJ...paying for banking or credit or any of those things is not my bag.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Agreed. Any credit card 'hijinks' only apply if you carry a balance. Otherwise it is a 30 day free loan. Free loan. Think about that. Your money can be sitting in the bank earning interest while you take a free loan.

I'm with NJ...paying for banking or credit or any of those things is not my bag.
There's not much a man from NJ and a woman from Texas can agree on. I'm glad we've found common ground.

Last edited by NJBest; 03-31-2011 at 12:40 AM..

Old 03-31-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
There's not much a man from NJ and a man from Texas can agree on. I'm glad we've found common ground.
Maybe it's cuz I am a woman. We're so into creating harmonious environments.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Maybe it's cuz I am a woman. We're so into creating harmonious environments.

oops, fixed my post... sorry!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:26 AM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:

earning interest??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance