Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 AM

466 posts, read 817,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
I that that is the disconnect. If you are using your debit card, then you have the money for whatever it is you are buying (in theory). So there is no reason that you could not use your credit card for that purchase, get the extra rewards and protection and pay for it as part of your credit card bill at the end of the month.
Not being snarky at all. This is a genuine question. If you DO carry a balance, is there still benefit to the awards? I assume these are cashback rewards. For example, if we put day care on our Discover card, which offers cash back (can't remember how much it is), do you still really come out ahead if you have a balance? Our interest rate is 10%. Still trying to pay off that stupid car repair! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 08:34 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,233,168 times
I guess I have a new reason to use my debit card. Apparently is really annoys people.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:36 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,982,406 times
For me, it's just laziness. I was doing the credit card thing for awhile. I'd pay off the balance at the end of the month. I was gaining mileage, or points. All was good. I'm very meticulous about recording my spending habits. I even designed an advanced spreadsheet to record and calculate monthly, quarterly, and annual income/expenses. I just got tired of divvying up my expenses between CC and debit. Very minor, but that's why I choose my check card.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:36 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,151,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
For example, if we put day care on our Discover card, which offers cash back (can't remember how much it is), do you still really come out ahead if you have a balance? Our interest rate is 10%. Still trying to pay off that stupid car repair! lol
Depending on how long you will have the balance, sometimes its better to do a balance transfer if the balance transfer fee will be lower than the interest rate paid for the life of the balance. At least that's the way I try to calculate it.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,073,015 times
How exactly do you know which card someone is using? My debit card looks so similar to my credit card, I have to double-check which one I've pulled out of my wallet before I slide it through the reader. And at a POS station it's not as though you'd hear anything that would tip you off.

Really, though, your concern about my finances (and everybody else who uses debit) is very sweet. So let me thank you and the other rabid credit card users for your concern by telling you what you apparently want to hear:

You're all brilliant money managers, and the rest of us poor slobs are stupid to pass up all of the wonderful benefits credit card companies provide!

Do you feel better now?

I've been painted as defensive earlier in this thread, and I'll cop to that, because I don't appreciate being portrayed as irresponsible and/or stupid.

My apparently poor money management skills have provided me with a retirement fund that is well on its way to seeing me sufficiently through my golden years, a very nice paid off house (at age 39) in a major metropolitan area, and ample college savings for my kids, with enough left over for our family to live very comfortably on a day-to-day basis. If that makes me irresponsible or stupid, so be it.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 AM

823 posts, read 2,219,188 times
Quote:
Not being snarky at all. This is a genuine question. If you DO carry a balance, is there still benefit to the awards? I assume these are cashback rewards. For example, if we put day care on our Discover card, which offers cash back (can't remember how much it is), do you still really come out ahead if you have a balance? Our interest rate is 10%. Still trying to pay off that stupid car repair! lol

Even if you carry a balance, you still have a grace period to pay off new charges before they start charging you interest on them. Yes, carrying a balance negates the value of credit card awards. However, that has nothing to do with using your credit card for day to day purchases that you would use your debit card for instead.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:46 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,720,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
This is simply not true. As long as your card has a MasterCard or Visa logo on it, you have the same coverage. In addition, they are federal regulations that dictate that the bank must reimburse you for unauthorized charges. I suppose their may be some exposure (a day or two) before the bank gave you its provisional credit while it is investigating your claim. Other than that, it is no different.
"Federal law also protects you if you need to dispute charges on a credit card, but not if you use a debit card or other forms of payment."
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/your-money/credit-and-debit-cards/primercards.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Agreed. Any credit card 'hijinks' only apply if you carry a balance. Otherwise it is a 30 day free loan. Free loan. Think about that. Your money can be sitting in the bank earning interest while you take a free loan.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
earning interest??????
Granted rates are not that great right now, but when they are higher, one can come out ahead. A few years ago we bought a new TV when we moved. We could have just paid cash for it (in our case, charge it to a CC and then pay the bill). Instead, bought it on the store's card that was 15 months no interest - we put the cash in a 12 month CD; when it matured, we paid the bill in full and made enough off of the interest to pay our Netflix membership for a year (so it was like a free year of movies to watch on said TV).

Quote:
The added rewards don't mean squat if you carry a balance.
True

Quote:
I'm sorry if my check card use in the grocery store offends you.
I don't think anyone is "offended". It seems fairly well established in this thread that no one sees a problem with the method people use to pay for things - we're just discussing the pros and cons of the various methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I still have zero intentions of getting a credit card. I spend what I have and if I don't have it I do not spend it.
And if that is your decision - totally cool - it is what works for you. However, again, do not imply that all people who use CCs are spending money that they do not have. Many people use CCs very responsibly.

Quote:
I don't give a rip about the rewards because more times than not they are not worth it.
Again - personal choice and all well and good. Some of us do make out well with rewards.

Quote:
I worked in banking for 8 years I know first hand the games credit card companies and banks play. Heck you don't even need me to tell you that, just read the news.
I do not disagree - but for those who use CCs responsibly and do not carry a balance; we are largely immune from the hanky-panky.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:56 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,417,415 times
My wife and I have decided to pretty much stop using our credit cards completely. I don't feel like giving BoA (or any other big banks) any more business. We've never carried balances month to month. I just find it's an extra hassle to make sure you get that payment in on time each month. We are just going to use our debit cards or pay cash.

I also think using a credit card tends to lead to more spending than strictly using a debit card. Not for all people, but some.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:15 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,524,640 times
Quote:
Well, then, that is simple. Why carry a balance?
Use your credit card like a debit card and keep your money safe in the bank (or investment accounts) for the extra 30 days earning interest.

Why does everyone think that having a credit card means carrying a balance? I have had a credit card for 20 years and never even ONCE carried a balance, paid a fee, paid interest, paid *anything*.

Meanwhile, I have racked up THOUSANDS of dollars of cash back...in the last five years alone, it's been close to ten grand.

You want to leave that money on the table, that's your business. But you can see why I think it's foolish.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 AM

466 posts, read 817,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

I don't think anyone is "offended". It seems fairly well established in this thread that no one sees a problem with the method people use to pay for things - we're just discussing the pros and cons of the various methods.
Offended wasn't the right word. But I do think one or two posters have insinuated that people who don't use credit for everything and pay it off have some financial flaws, whether real or perceived, or else they would be eager to reap the benefits.

And I agree with what someone has just posted. Most checkcards have a Visa or Mastercard logo. You have to be looking pretty closely at someone's card to see the words "check" or "debit" on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance