Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

Nearly half of Americans are living in a state of "financial fragility," a new paper by the National Bureau of Economic Research reveals. To determine this statistic, researchers from the George Washington School of Business, Princeton University, and Harvard Business School asked survey participants whether they would be able to come up with $2,000 for an "unexpected expense in the next month." 22.2 percent predicted they would be "probably unable" and 27.9 percent said they'd certainly be unable to foot the unplanned bill.

50% of Americans Couldn't Come Up with $2,000 - Business - The Atlantic Wire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,161,273 times
Even living on a $40K income in San Jose - highest median rent in the country - I made sure to have $5K at all times and aimed for $10K. Now that I'm making $70K, I haven't changed a thing. My balances are going up each month and I have a steady flow of cash going into retirement.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:02 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,539,138 times
I think the lack of savings and its twin sibling, financing your life to the hilt, come from two beliefs-- irrepressible optimism, all too often unwarranted, and a sense of entitlement-- that because you worked hard and got a college degree (or whatever), you should drive a Beemer. My wife, for some reason, has a moderate addiction to HGTV, but I can't stand watching all these people who MUST have all brushed aluminum appliances, a three-story atrium front entry way, and, well, whatever. For their first house! Buying your first house for a half million dollars is something I not only can't wrap my mind around, it positively offends me.

Oh, and get off my lawn.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:05 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

its funny how people are so dumb with their money and then we are all supposed to feel some obligation to help them out. i dont mind helping people who cant help themselves but helping people who waste their money and never thought to save is really aggravating.
My brother, an auto mechanic, thinks it's dumb that people can't repair their own cars and save a heap of money.

The Doctor probably thinks it's dumb that people come to see him, when they could have cured their problem with some common sense.

I've become much more compassionate, over the years, with people who simply can't save or manage money. I did accounting work for 10 years, so it's been a long haul for me to recognize individuals who, inherently, have no capacity for managing their money, and feel some compassion for them.

Yes, it's extremely irritating, if you're a superb money-manager, like myself, even to have someone ask me for a cigarette who hasn't been near a stove to once cook for themselves and brags how they only spent $5.99 for a lunch that day!

But, let's get it straight, there's people out there who will never, ever be able to manage their money. My condolences to them!

Last edited by tijlover; 05-24-2011 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-25-2011, 12:07 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,328,729 times
Ive only done about 2 years of full time work and managed to save up about 20k. I guess thats a pretty decent safety net for now being single still.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:43 AM

106,714 posts, read 108,913,061 times
its not what you make,its what your expenses are . heck living at home with mom and dad it was easy to save earning almost nothing.

earning 25k a year in some areas is enough to live on and save. 25k in other areas will let you live the life of a dumpster diver.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:19 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've become much more compassionate, over the years, with people who simply can't save or manage money. I did accounting work for 10 years, so it's been a long haul for me to recognize individuals who, inherently, have no capacity for managing their money, and feel some compassion for them.

Yes, it's extremely irritating, if you're a superb money-manager, like myself, even to have someone ask me for a cigarette who hasn't been near a stove to once cook for themselves and brags how they only spent $5.99 for a lunch that day!

But, let's get it straight, there's people out there who will never, ever be able to manage their money. My condolences to them!
I hope I develop that compassion.

I get irate with my sister about money. She and her husband make somewhere around $100K a year (and live in rural GA so that could go a LONG way). Between them, they have five kids, but only one lives with them full time (others are grown). They never have any money. They go on cruises, buy NEW cars (my sister's car payment alone is $600 / month) and other crap, and booze it up; but my sister hits my mom up whenever she has classes to take or seminars for work. My parents live off their pensions and bring in about $40K year. I get crazy when my mom tells me my sister hit her up for $600 for some dumb class that she should pay for herself.

Sure, my mom should quit giving her money and I've told her so, but at 45 years old, my sister should not be asking. She's even asked us for money, and we make less than they do too. ANNOYING! What's worse, I think, is that my sister rarely sees our parents. She lives 8 hours away (I currently live 6 hours away but did live 20 hours away), and she'll visit every 4-5 years. Very classy.

When my mom becomes incapacitated or dies, my sister is gonna be in a world hurt because my husband and I won't finance her frivolities.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:21 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,328,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
its not what you make,its what your expenses are . heck living at home with mom and dad it was easy to save earning almost nothing.

earning 25k a year in some areas is enough to live on and save. 25k in other areas will let you live the life of a dumpster diver.
Here in Louisiana my 32k income is enough to make it by. I could see this level of income being useless in many other places though. Im also pretty sure the job I do is probably paid better in other places too even though it does not particularly require a degree (fuel truck dispatching)

Old 05-25-2011, 06:13 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
Let's face it: Most American have decided for years to live off debt and not bother to save. If you can't scrape together some minimal amount of savings, it's your own fault. Blaming the government or evil corporations is very shortsighted.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
I wonder how many (what percent) of those people have Starbucks five times a week, overpriced ipods, fancy rims on their cars, magazine subscriptions, 120+ cable channels, lease cars every two years, order beverages other than water at restaurants, pay someone to mow their lawn so they have time to walk on a treadmill at a gym, and buy lottery tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance