Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:47 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Half of Americans say they aren't prepared for a minor financial emergency.
A new study by the National Bureau of Economic Research shows 50% of Americans would struggle to come up with $2,000 in a pinch, for example in the event of an unanticipated car or home repair, a large medical bill or legal expenses.

[CENTER] [/CENTER]

Everybody has messed up at some point. These folks share their biggest goofs, but are now on the right path.
Roughly 28% said they "certainly" would not be able to cope with an unexpected $2,000 bill if they had to come up with the money in 30 days, and another 22% said they "probably" would not be to able to cope.

Only a quarter of Americans said they are certain they would be able to come up with the funds.

A majority of the 1,900 Americans surveyed said they would have to rely on more than one method to come up with the emergency funds.
While 60% said they would dip into savings, 34.2% said they would have to ask family and friends for help and 29.5% said they would have to resort to credit cards, a home equity line of credit, reverse mortgage or unsecured loan.
Budgeting for an emergency fund

The National Bureau of Economic Research also surveyed seven other countries including the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Canada, Italy, Portugal and the Netherlands.
Of those, people in the Netherlands were the most optimistic, with 57.7% of their respondents saying they were "certain" they could handle a $2,000 emergency.

Source :

Half of Americans don't have $2,000 for a rainy day - May. 24, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 01:55 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
Quote:
34.2% said they would have to ask family and friends for help
No doubt. We got hit by three family members last month. I am sick and tired of being everyone else's "safety net".

Old 05-24-2011, 01:58 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
I read somewhere that the average personal savings was $1,600.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:02 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
I've been at that point in my life, not that long ago. When my husband was out of work for a full year, and the emergency funds were reaching their last legs, I did reach the point that I wondered if I would have to start putting things on credit cards to get by. Shortly after that, hubby found a good paying job, and we have spent the last two years building our emergency fund back up.

But that was after an entire "rainy year". So we were prepared for the rainy day, and when it came, we weathered it.

This article is very sad, but very true. Actually, with the current economy the way it is, I find it a little reassuring that 1/4 of people do say they have $2000 put away for a rainy day. I would have figured the number to be smaller than that.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
While 60% said they would dip into savings
i think people have different definitions of savings. i consider pretty much all of my money "savings."

its funny how people are so dumb with their money and then we are all supposed to feel some obligation to help them out. i dont mind helping people who cant help themselves but helping people who waste their money and never thought to save is really aggravating. the problem is that if you offer them no help, you have lots of homeless people and starving people running around jerking tears from bleeding hearts.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Whenever I read articles like this, I have a standard response:

I live on a poverty level income. HowTF much do you expect me to have saved for a rainy day?

Old 05-24-2011, 02:41 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Whenever I read articles like this, I have a standard response:

I live on a poverty level income. HowTF much do you expect me to have saved for a rainy day?
that's your problem.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
No doubt. We got hit by three family members last month. I am sick and tired of being everyone else's "safety net".
What kind of help did they need?

Old 05-24-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I read somewhere that the average personal savings was $1,600.
With no retirement funds?

Old 05-24-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I've been at that point in my life, not that long ago. When my husband was out of work for a full year, and the emergency funds were reaching their last legs, I did reach the point that I wondered if I would have to start putting things on credit cards to get by. Shortly after that, hubby found a good paying job, and we have spent the last two years building our emergency fund back up.

But that was after an entire "rainy year". So we were prepared for the rainy day, and when it came, we weathered it.

This article is very sad, but very true. Actually, with the current economy the way it is, I find it a little reassuring that 1/4 of people do say they have $2000 put away for a rainy day. I would have figured the number to be smaller than that.
So he could not find ANY work? What about unemployment, welfare?

Were you working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance