Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 08:35 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,118,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Clearly not. You have already admitted to being bitter. Probably not how most people who are "lax" and enjoy themselves more than most would probably describe themselves.
I'm not really concerned with how most people would describe themselves.

Clearly irony doesn't escape you though. But if you want to think I'm unhappy, go for it. Don't mind at all. Just keep busy so I can continue my relaxing life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 08:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,790,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Forced? Why would that be? They have incomes that are well above average. At top universities, they are very well off. Academics don't buy luxury cars because they don't gain status from luxury cars, nobody cares about them in the academic community. Academics gain status in other ways, for example getting published in a top journal.
but the academics are sooooo much smarter than everyone else. surely they should be driving the fancy cars while those evil corporate billionaires and corporate jet owners should be driving the modest cars.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:39 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,790,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You seem to have a bias against capitalists. It is clouding your view.
im just messing around. this guy keeps bringing up academics. who cares about academics? until they get real jobs, everything they say is just a bunch of bs that means nothing. "Those who can, do. Those who cant, teach."

Old 09-15-2011, 09:01 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,199,051 times
Quote:
I'm not really concerned with how most people would describe themselves.

Clearly irony doesn't escape you though. But if you want to think I'm unhappy, go for it. Don't mind at all. Just keep busy so I can continue my relaxing life.
So just to be clear, you are a bitter happy person. Got it.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
but the academics are sooooo much smarter than everyone else. surely they should be driving the fancy cars while those evil corporate billionaires and corporate jet owners should be driving the modest cars.
umm.....what don't you get about the fact that academics don't derive status from luxury cars where as business folk usually do...?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im just messing around. this guy keeps bringing up academics. who cares about academics? until they get real jobs, everything they say is just a bunch of bs that means nothing. "Those who can, do. Those who cant, teach."
Are you just extremely uninformed or are you just trying to get a reaction? I can't figure it out.....

Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,975,479 times
I was wandering the same about your statement about academics?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I was wandering the same about your statement about academics?
Oh yeah? Which statement would that be? They are all easily observable if you, you know, go to a university.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:42 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,393,922 times
Quote:
We? The masses? Because...well...nobody that knows about psychology would mistake a clinical model (one that isn't even used today at that...) for actual psychology......
"We" refers to me and the current posters here who've likely covered the pop-psych stuff you're spewing in some High School or Psych 101 course. Or maybe they caught it on an episode of Dr. Phil. I made an assumption that most people have some basic psych knowledge, but I could be wrong.

I brought up the "Maslow Needs" because I anticipated that was the next thing you'd pull out of your bag of psych tricks (it's just such a ubiquitous model for armchair psychologists)...Definitely an assumption on my part as I should have asked you to "please tell me more about consumer buying motivations" and then waited for it.... I guess we'll never know.

Quote:
Marketing research studies that support common scientific knowledge? There are certainly several pieces of research that demonstrate that humans are social animals and that their decision making process (in fact, their entire well being) is dependent on their social environment. Would you like links to such things? ......
I do not believe it is "common knowledge" (e.g. many posters on this thread don't accept it). If it is "scientific knowledge," please show me how this knowledge was acquired through systematic study/use of the scientific method.

Humans making decisions based on their social environment does not always mean "I will buy this luxury car because it looks prestigious and I want to impress others in my social environment."

It can mean "I will buy this luxury car because it has the best rated/highest number of comfort/safety features and I want to protect my family in my social environment."

Quote:
Though phrased in terms of "luxury cars", my claim was general and can be applied to any "luxury" item.
So whenever anyone purchases a "luxury" item, they are doing so to impress others? Interesting. Please define "luxury item."

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 09-15-2011 at 10:58 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 11:11 PM

21,921 posts, read 25,248,755 times
The lease on a $50k BMW is less than the car payment on my Mazda3 was... that's hardly exclusive omg how can anyone afford it status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance